2005 4Runner V6 to 4.7 V8 swap

Discussion in '4Runners' started by LePetomane, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Sep 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    LePetomane

LePetomane [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane WA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport 4X4
    Greetings experts:

I have an 05 4Runner sport, with 38k on the ODO. I am not a go fast lead foot guy, nor do I believe in thrashing my sheet metal out stump jumping. I am not a big fan of turbos, or super chargers. All I have ever seen of those is increased noise coupled with reduced engine life. I like quiet power. What I do is tow an RV with my runner, and would like some extra torque and ponies to help with that. Since the 05s up to I think 2010s came with the optional V8s, I was wondering just what it would cost to swap out my V6bvvti with a V8vvti. There is a huge number of engines out there, and I could get a high mileage V8 and rebuild the thing, and pop it in. Other than needing larger front springs, and radiator, what else is involved, and about how much would it cost. Please.....if you don't deal I realities, and are a crazy turbo or supercharger nut, please don't reply as I am not looking for transmission destroying power.Just a bump up to somewhere in the low 300hp, with a torque rating around that number. Would my stock transmission take that extra power? A real Toyota technician's experience would be helpful. Thanks in advance for all the advice, this forum has helped me a lot in the past.
    Rick

2. Sep 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Your best bet is a supercharger :boink:

Oreo Cat likes this.
  3. Sep 24, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Haha sorry, I had to. :p

AFAIK the transmission is the same and they seem to handle the power of a supercharged 4.0 pretty well.
    I have an 04 4Runner with the V8(wife's). It definitely has more torque than my Tacoma with the 4.0, but it's not a serious tow rig and leaves a lot to be desired on the highway. It's a step up from the 4.0 in torque, but hp is the same. If you're shooting for 300+hp you'll still have to supercharge the 4.7.

I also had an 05 Tundra with the 4.7(vvti) and the 05 4.7 had a bump in power which was noticeable. I smiled everytime I started that truck.

Have you driven a 4Runner with the V8?

03-09 was the V8 4Runner with 05 being the highest output.

Edit: sorry I have no actual info on the swap. I'd guess the gauge cluster will also need to be swapped with one from a V8.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. Sep 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    LePetomane

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane WA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport 4X4
    Sorry I haven't replied, changed my Email addy, forum bosses locked me out until they confirmed it, anyhoo; I am not totally against turbos, or superchargers, but on engine's that aren't really set up with much stronger bottom ends, it is just not a formula that I have experienced, that has long lasting results. I am old school; where I came from only the elites had those things, if you wanted to boost your engine, you did it along a normal aspiration build, which usually worked great. I know that they put the VVti 4.7s in the last 2 years that 4Runners were being sold with V8s, that is what I would want to use. I know people who have them and have done a medium horsepower/torque build and are getting some really good performance out of them. Like I said, I don't need much, just somewhere in the lower 300's range, which would help me get out of my own way a bit better towing an RV. People and their Toyota Tacoma's and 4Runners, they are like Jeep people, the way they thrash their 4X4s amazes me, yet some of them barely have a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out of. Not me, these things are expensive, and I buy Toyota's because I never have to work on them except normal maintenance issues. I have had several Tacoma's and each one is better than the last, same with 4Runners. I just wish I could find some one who had my version of the 4Runner with the v6, and actually did the swap with the Toyota 4.7 V8. Mine is paid for, so if it cost a bit more than the 4 to 5K supercharger that TRD has, I could swallow that.
    And yes I have driven the 05 Runner with the stock 4.7 V8, and it did not have anymore HP really than the V6 considering the extra weight, but it did have more torque. And yes I have driven the v6 supercharged, and it is a kick in the pants, but I don't like the extra noise, and my wife certainly would not. And those guys that had them all of the sudden thought they were NASCAR drivers in training, and most of them blew their engines, not worth it to me. So if some one has done the swap, I sure would like to know how, and how much..Thanks
    Rick

5. Sep 26, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Unless you're doing the swap yourself, I think it would be more cost effective for you to pick up a 4Runner with the V8 (or any other brand V8) rather than swapping a perfectly good low mileage V6 out for the V8.

Jcyr likes this.
  6. Sep 26, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    Jcyr

Jcyr Midnightthetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    North east
    Vehicle:
    3RZ 04 4x4 black ext cab
    2.5" lift king/total chaos Skids sliders rear tire swing
    Many people have taken the V8 out of that year range 4 runner and put it into second gen tacos with little modifications.. having searched swaps like this a few times I’ll tell you that you will need new motor mounts for the v8 new radiator and plumbing. None of the hookups for your engine will swap efficiently so your best bet is to buy a complete drop out motor that includes everything from ecu to intake. If you’re incredibly handy and search the junk yards often I’ve seen these swaps done for 2-3 k I’ve also seen it go down the rabbit hole and have it cost close to 10k... your most cost effective / reliable Choices would be either buy another v8 4 runner or Lexus gx470(usually cheaper for some reason but same car) or supercharge it with mild 8 psi or less boost both options will be a lot less painless than a whole power plant transplant

7. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    LePetomane

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane WA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport 4X4
    I swear, I can't win for nuthin, all you guys agree with my wife.....I need to watch her closer....and I wuz gonna do it myself....

8. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:27 PM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat Worst Member

Member:
    Or just buy a v8

9. Sep 26, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    LePetomane

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane WA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport 4X4
    A nicely built, not obnoxious, but a gentlemanly built with just a little rumble 4.7, sure sounds nice coming from a 4Runner. All those fords and chevs that can't stay out of the shop, have to admit that Toyota builds a pretty good motor.

10. Sep 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    SAC-CA-Runner

SAC-CA-Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    I will say this now...you will not get a used motor, rebuilt and put in for under $3K. I JUST blew my 4.7 V8 in my 06 and am putting in a motor from 05 with 50k less miles. Engine alone was $1600. But that is just the long block. Add headers, mounts, wiring, radiator, hoses, ecu, etc, etc...you'll be up there fast. I would just buy a V8 4R and sell off the V6. Also...I don't know what kind of "noise" you are talking about with a SC. It's all about what you hook up to it that makes the noises. Yes, SC's have small whining noise but if you don't put a loud ass exhaust on it or a blow off valve I don't think it's any louder than a V8 with an exhaust. Lastly, VVTi motors were 05-09 and are exactly the same output. The weak part of the motors are the rods and those can be bought for $600-700 if you want upgraded ones. I thought about rebuilding my motor and just said F it since I cooked it so bad. I'm adding Doug Thorley headers and high flow cats for the F of it while the motor is out. Anyway, good luck if you go the swap route. The mechanical stuff is easy, it's making all the V6 and V8 parts talk that is the fun part.

11. Sep 27, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    The VVTi 4.7 in the Tundra had various outputs and produced the most in 2005.

I figured they would have used the same engines in the 4runners of that year, but maybe not. I'd search for an 05 4.7 out of a Tundra to make the swap more worthwhile.

12. Sep 27, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    SAC-CA-Runner

Member:
    I was talking 4Runner engines only. They were made in Japan along with the GX (?) while the rest of the models were made in the USA. And personally...in those days I would rather have Japan motors. The rods are slightly different between Japan and USA motors as well. Good luck finding a good motor for a swap too. Not many out there, trust me...I looked.

13. Sep 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    Damn, was hoping this thread would go in a different direction and it would be an easy swap...would love to V8-swap my 4R. Only a matter of time before someone LS-swaps one...

14. Sep 27, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Should be some decent ones coming out of Texas soon. :anonymous:

15. Sep 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Sep 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    LePetomane

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane WA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport 4X4
    Yes it's true, Ebay has a seemingly endless supply of Toyota engines of all sizes, and they aren't the only ones. So it is not hard finding an engine, and I realize that it will take a V8 ECM, so it would also need the wiring harness for all engine controls and tach. I was talking to a guy at one of the local Toyota dealerships here, and he had an 06 4Runner sport with the 4.7. He was a guy like me who did not necessarily need huge horsepower, but wanted the torque, because he towed a travel trailer. So he popped his 4.7 out and did a "reasonable" build on it. He put in on a dyno and it came out somewhere around 330hp/350ish torque, and his gas mileage did not suffer much either. He was towing almost a 10k trailer behind it. He beefed up the driveline, put a HD tranny and engine oil cooler in it, and air ride bags in the back, and was a very happy camper. He liked towing with the shorter rigs because it is easier to maneuver everything, and I agree. In the past I knew of people who had Jeep CJ7s with powerful v8s in them and many of them would tow almost that much. So I know the 4Runner would work very well for that. I think it is the perfect platform for customizing in this fashion as it handles better than the Tacoma, or the rest of the body on frame Toyota line up. I was just hoping to find someone who had done it first, and see about getting a peek at his build sheet. As for expense, sure it will cost a few coins, but since mine is paid for, it's cheaper than a new Sequoia or Tundra, and easier to maneuver, and sure is a lot easier to see out of than an FJ. Some one will do it one day, and if it has been done with a Taco, it should be quite similar if not exact. My old 08 Taco with the V6 looked identical under the hood to my 05 runner.

17. Sep 28, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    SAC-CA-Runner

Member:
    Yes...endless supply that won't work. Non VVTi motors are wired different than VVTi motors. For an engine swap, yes any of those would do. But for someone looking for a replacement engine in an 05-09 with VVTi and preferring to keep it out of a 4Runner. One. Maybe Two if the other in NY that shows being rusted to shit is still on there. Then in NC I think there were 3, but I'd rather deal with one closer in case there are problems. Then a broker looked some up...found two. So yeah, not many out there for 05-09 4Runners that require VVTi. Now for a complete swap, he could use an older non-VVTi I believe. I don't know...never done a V6 to V8 swap. <shrugs>

18. Sep 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    There are PLENTY of 05+ engines listed. Did you look through the ~236 listings? :confused: I found several on the first couple pages. :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top