1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by tacomeontherange, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Glad it's ok. BTW, magnesium chloride is a salt, and it will cause rust.

2. Feb 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    tacomeontherange

tacomeontherange [OP] this ain't no picnic

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    OP here. no news to report. truck still on dealer lot.

3. Feb 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Sorry to hear they are still dragging their feet. I would be beyond irritated at the situation and start expanding my exposure since Toyota does not feel the need to act appropriately to find a resolution.

4. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    OP UPDATE

Phone call from dealership today. Our letter has initiated some action. I would like to have it in writing before I say anything further here. hopefully I can post something next week.

5. Feb 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Beadlock Wheels, BFGs, ARB, blah blah.
    I've covered my frame (and especially the trouble areas noted) with Fluid Film a couple of times already this season. I would view this as prolonging, not preventing, as it's the factory paint/coating that is the weak spot.

If I recall correctly on the 1st Gen recall if the frame passed the test were coated and the frame was then warrantied for 15 years after the initial sale or something like that.

I would think that 15 years is a good run for a truck and I would assume any coating they give you would give you another 5-7 years.

6. Feb 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Fluid Film claims to stop corrosion in progress, and prevent it from occurring to clean steel. With that in mind, I don't understand your distinction between prolonging and preventing.

The OP's truck reached failure at eight years old. You believe "15 years is a good run for a truck and I would assume any coating they give you would give you another 5-7 years." By that standard, it follows that if an '05 had a Fluid Film coated frame, it may last 15 years. ;)

7. Feb 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    LOL....coming from someone in Southern NJ I fully agree.

This....

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

and they are? steel rusts....it's what it does. to think any frame will be around forever is ridiculous IMO. I guess we should just replace our bridges every 5 years instead of painting them?

If you want it to last treat it good.

So why not just coat the frame in salt every day to insure it rusts out.

If you kept an eye on the older trucks having this issue you would know they were ALL inspected. Some got sprayed, some bought back, and some had frames replaced. At no time did Yota corp say your frame looks good see you later. The frames if not replaced were sprayed and given an additional 15 year warranty.

Seems like totally flawed logic to me, but I can only see it from my eyes so who knows. Maybe I'm just crazy by taking care of my stuff.

Ex. Not sure why I even grease my zerks.....I shouldn't of and they could of blown out before my powertrain warranty was up. Now I'm stuck with the old ones. Shit :rolleyes:

8. Feb 7, 2013 at 4:45 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

AlanLoshbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    I don't know about y'all, but 15 years, or even 30 is not an acceptable frame life.
    My 1965 Land Cruiser is rock solid.
    My 1950 Chevy 1 ton is rock solid.
    I've done nothing, to either frame.

15 years? For $35,000?
    Not ok.

9. Feb 7, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Steel RUSTS. /Thread

10. Feb 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I agree. I expect to have my truck longer than 15 years; that wasn't my number. I had an '80 Chevy (Isuzu) LUV 4X4 that was a rusty mess after 20 years of very hard use, and it still had some life in it. I expect my Tacoma to do much better, and I'm doing what I can to make sure of it.

11. Feb 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Beadlock Wheels, BFGs, ARB, blah blah.
    Allow me to clarify then.

While I believe Fluid Film's marketing and abilities as an anti-corrosive agent, given the location you're using the product, I would think it would to a great deal to prolong the life of the frame by keeping most of the corrosion causing junk away from the frame, but I wouldn't say applying a coat of it yearly is going to keep any/all rust from occurring either.

The coating can still be worn away under normal operating conditions, road spray, excessive water, etc, etc will remove the coating from the frame, and then you're still subject to whatever corrosion the now bare frame will see (given Toyota's weak paint on the frame). Crack the coating and you open up the floodgates for junk to get under the paint and start attacking the frame.

Granted, if you keep on top of it and reapply multiple times a year you can keep most of this at bay. I have noticed in some areas of my frame where I have applied the coating, it is no longer present after a 2-3 months driving in rain/snow. I have reapplied, but this will need to be repeated on a regular basis. I don't think it's a hassle all things considered and it will help.

I guess IMHO to call it rust preventing is a little misleading. I'd view rust preventing as "spray this on once, never rust." Maybe I'm stretching the definition a little further than I should, but it feels like a one stop deal to me.

My 15 year comment wasn't in regards to the OP's truck, it was in regards to the comment that applying a product to prolong the life of the truck would force him to miss his window of having the frame replaced or bought back, in the case of the recalls.

What I meant by that is if that person took his frame in (a treated frame) and the frame passed inspection and as such was coated by Toyota, he'd be (again assuming the terms remain the same) a 15 year warranty in which if the frame does go, he'd be somehow taken care of. What I was trying to get across is that I would assume that a coated frame (from Toyota) that has some rust/corrosion on it would easily last another 5-7 years before you'd run into trouble. My 15 year comment simply comes from the place of the average person doesn't keep a car that long. 15 years at 12K a year is 180K, and in the Northeast, even if the frame doesn't go, after that long you might start seeing rust develop in other places. I had a 1993 Xtracab from South Carolina that had a good frame, but the body was starting to go. Granted, the Tacoma seems less susceptible to body rot compared to the old trucks, but I'm just meaning that if you get 15 quality years out of the truck without the frame breaking in half, I think you're ahead of the game. Maybe I have a different view on things than most, I dunno.

I don't believe it's worth letting the frame go bad in hopes to get covered under a recall.

12. Feb 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Same here. :proposetoast:

13. Feb 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Keep in mind that after storm flooding (and there's been a lot since '05) a lot of vehicles may or may not be totaled/salvaged... thousands of flooded vehicles are cleaned up and dumped on the used car market.

Things like this is often the result.

14. Feb 8, 2013 at 4:41 AM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Tacoma Bed Mat, TRD Front Skid Plate, Pop'N'Lock Tailgate Lock, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats, BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover, Toyota Wheel Locks, Sliding Rear Window Lock, Center Console and Glove Box Motion Detection LEDs, BFG Rugged Terrains, PrimusIQ Brake Controller, Toyota Cargo Net, Entune w/Nav.

^ This. I live in Philly and two separate co-workers were recently looking for used cars for their kids and they ran across several cars flooded in Jersey by Hurricane Sandy a few months back. Apparently the used car lots in this area are "flooded" with Sandy cars. It happens more than one would think.

15. Feb 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    Um no.

One dunk or a few days dunk in the ocean is not equal to corrosion failure of the frame at this level.

Corrosion etc impact on computer and mechanical systems due to flooded vehicles? YES.

The OP's truck, that's me, has a clear chain of custody & locale.

16. Feb 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You mentioned being the 2nd owner... didn't know if you were aware of the history or not. Most 2nd owners don't.

17. Feb 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM
    joneill03

joneill03 Look away, I'm hideous!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 OR
    Any updates OP?

18. Feb 21, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    still waiting for solid news from their side. truck remains with dealer.

19. Feb 21, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    samer312

samer312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Alexandria VA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    dude that sucks......wonder if there will be a recall

20. Feb 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    joneill03

joneill03 Look away, I'm hideous!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 OR
    I hope they're comping you with a loaner or rental or something. That's ridiculous.

To Top