1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 tacoma 2nd gen terminal frame rot rust cancer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomeontherange, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    subbed because mine looked that bad (the surface rust areas) before i coated the exterior of the frame with chassis saver.

2. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    tacomeontherange

tacomeontherange [OP] this ain't no picnic

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    we're at approx 155,000 miles

many thanks for the figures. very helpful.

3. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    those are some scary figures

4. Dec 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    Maybe you can work out a deal with the dealership. You buy the frame, they pickup the labor cost. In trade you keep it out of the local news.

5. Dec 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    Do you really think that frame rusted out in one year?

Its the fact that the local dealership serviced and sold a vehicle with a rotten frame.

6. Dec 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    The news might... it's a safety concern. The dealership must be held accountable since they're the ones that supposedly did the so called "100 point inspection."

7. Dec 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    But this one was sold after it got checked off by a 100 point inspection as safe to drive... only to find out its got a gapping hole in the frame so large that the dealership won't let the customer drive it home. :eek:

8. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I was just contacted this morning by a guy I know well who has a 2005 and has the same exact hole just smaller. He has kept his frame up to par with sanding and painting on the exterior of the boxed section.

9. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    tell him to sign up and get in on this thread with us. has he contacted his dealer or TMC?

10. Dec 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Obviously you missed the part about frame being two sheet metals sandwiched together. You can spray inside or outside all you want. Its rusting from in between two metals. So unless somebody has some great idea how to submerge frame for couple minutes in something all the spraying and coating only delays things but not realy solve anything. Still will rust if you are in environment that helps speed rusting.
    Edit: I also poored por-15 into mine hoping it will protect metal. Well it did not metal is rusting under the por-15.

11. Dec 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    Too many idiots driving way too fast on bald tires and complaining that the road crews do not clean the roads fast enough for them..

OP: Good luck with your truck. I was involved with the original buy back..my 99 taco frame rusted like yours.

12. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.

These products will work well, but should be applied on a calender schedule.

Your best method would be buying a gallon and spraying with a bug spray type sprayer.

http://www.zipchem.com/products/product_detail.aspx?id=NjY=
    http://www.zipchem.com/products/product_detail.aspx?id=Njk=
    http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html
    http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-heavy-duty.html

PK

13. Dec 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

He used finger paint and applied it with a brush made of the wings off of ferries :D

14. Dec 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I just had a closer look at how they assemble the frame. Maybe someone mentioned it already, but there are many sections both inside the box area in the front and outside of the box area where the frame has doublers. No way is any amount of paint saving the in between the layers area. Worse still is it appears that in the areas of the failed frame on the box sections, these are doubled up and boxed. Whatever you use to protect the layers needs to have excellent creep into the joint capability.

It surely looks like poor engineering, with no means of a good permanent process to overcome the situation.

Toyota should just step in and start rustproofing the frames each year as a warranty type maintenance to 100k and then charge a reasonable fee ($200) each year after that. The frames and trucks would last and it would be far less expensive and better customer relations.

Using simple equipment, it would be less than $10 in corrosion prevention compound, and about 15 minutes hands on work. So rounding up, about 1 hours time.

BTW, not undercoating but products like I previously linked. These are used in aerospace. They have excellent joint penetration and are easily applied.

PK

15. Dec 20, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    Badgtho

Badgtho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD sport 6spd
    TRD exhaust, TRD beadlock wheels, moto xtender
    Check your dates. When was the recall? When were 2nd gens designed?
    When were 05s built?
    The issue with the 2nd gens was made clear well after 2nd gens were on the road.

16. Dec 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    I called my dealer this week just to get some information about potentially undercoating my 05. Ziebart gave me a high estimate $599 and I knew the dealer offered a similar service for less(500). The ziebart estimate includes a rust treatment, then undercoating. So I spoke to my salesman from the local Toyota dealer. He looked into it, because I wanted to know what they would do about the surface rust before just undercoating. He checked with service and there are no second gen frame recalls at this point. He said they would recommend sand blasting the frame before undercoating to remove rust, and in the end it would not be cost effective. He thought I should save my money and that he thought Toyota would stand behind the truck if a failure happened. He and the service guys seemed to think the frame problems of the previous Gen trucks have been solved now...
    I contacted the new(3 months old) local Krown dealer. They will do a Krown treatment for 129+ tax. I plan on getting that done soon in an effort to save the frame.
    Good luck to the OP, I hope you get good news from Toyota about this.

17. Dec 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    I have news, am typing it up now. more soon. here are new photos from the dealership

imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_4.jpg
    imagejpeg_5.jpg
    imagejpeg_6.jpg
    imagejpeg_7.jpg
    imagejpeg_8.jpg

18. Dec 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    yesterday I filed a complaint with NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov).

I am looking in to other complaint options at the fed, state and private
    levels.

19. Dec 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    tacomeontherange

Member:
    central KY
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 tacoma TRD
    large hole in frame
    the dealer called me today.

they are on our side, so they say. they have been pushing this hard at the toyota regional and california levels. they have sent them the photos. all the higher ups in the dealership know about this and have met several times, this includes the owner.

they are pushing all contacts in toyota to make good on this situation.

toyota is basically telling us to get fucked.

the dealership feels that this is probably because Toyota does not want to stand by its product and thereby set a precedent if they address our problem. "open up the floodgates" as it were.

the dealership is willing to let us have the loaner at no cost until the 26th. then decisions need to be made.

the dealership has indicated that there are several problem spots on the frame. (see new photos posted above)

the dealership has checked, out of curiosity, to see if a replacement frame is even available to be ordered for this truck. there is not one in the entire USA, it would need to be shipped in from overseas.

as to cost: TMC gives them $10k (+/-) for any frame replacements they have to do. The dealership is not recommending that we go that route.

the dealership called in a frame guy to get his opinion. he feels that he can repair the bad spot(s). his initial estimate is $800-1200 for the repair but it could go higher once he starts cleaning things up. if the dealership has him do this work they are then on the hook if it fails.

the dealership feels that the trade-in value is garbage as long as the frame is compromised.

the owner and all the higher ups will be there tomorrow, we are trying to schedule a meeting

I am trying to make contact with a local lawyer.

20. Dec 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This...

Every vehicle I have owned has rusted out. Chevy, Dodge, Ford. If they wouldn't put that corosive crap on the road it wouldn't be an issue. It has gotten worse the past few years up here because they have really increased the strength of the chemicals. Myself, the frames should be made of much thicker material to help combat this issue in all makes. I fluid filmed my truck and the wife's jeep when I bought it and refresh it every year. In the spring I pressure wash the inside of the frames. Regardless of everything going on, IMO it's going to take extra measures from owners to add extra protection right from the start no matter what Toyota does for frame protection. The caustic chemicals are way to strong. I wish the OP good luck and if any company will help you, Toyota will.
    Ford wouldn't replace my friends oil pan after 3 years due to rust.

Elevated likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top