1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Tacoma AC Blower Motor Resistor/Blower Motor

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jimmyparis7, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Oct 25, 2022 at 7:06 PM
    Jimmyparis7

Jimmyparis7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    1.25” wheel spacers 2.5” strut spacer Nitto Mud Grapps 33x12.5x17
    So after looking a decent amount on many threads I couldn't find an identical issue to mine. So here goes mine lol. I will try to be as detailed as possible.

My blower motor resistor went bad probably about 2 years ago but I just never felt the need to fix it due to using windows most of the time. During this time the blower fan would only work on high, which was fine (tell tale sign of a bad resistor). Then last week all fan speeds stopped working out of the blue. No idea why... So I replaced the blower motor resistor with the new style that someone on here had said they "updated silently" in 2018. I will link that below. When taking the old resistor and connector out, the connector was burnt up on the pin just as suspected. After splicing the connector in and screwing the painfully difficult new resistor back in. It still did not work... Then late last night I found that people also have issues with the blower connection itself. So I went back out to see if that was the culprit and sure enough after removing it and pushing it in just a little harder, it decided to work again. When the fan was on now it kind of makes like a very very faint grinding noise and it kind of feels like it is blowing about twice as hard as before. Not sure why, and couldn't find much info on the new updated resistor and connection. I am thinking they reduced the resistor ohms to reduce the heat put off by it hence burnt up pin, but this is just an assumption.

I am unsure whether to try and order and replace the blower itself???

or maybe throw some dielectric grease on the motor connection???

Or maybe the connections from the resistor are bad, however I used crimp connectors and ensured connection before heat-shrinking the crimps.

Take out check blower motor for debris???

I can solder and heat shrink the connections but I feel that it may be a waste of time with the faint grinding when the motor was on, and since removing and pushing the connection back in worked the first time.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks y'all!

UPDATED RESISTOR AND CONNECTOR
    https://www.amazon.com/TOYOTA-Genuine-Resistor-Connector-2005-2017/dp/B07PV1BLCN

2. Oct 25, 2022 at 7:21 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    Sounds like the blower is on it's way out and drawing too much current, the resistor is bypassed on high so changing the resistor wouldn't have affected high speed.
    If the blower connector is burnt you will need to replace that as well.

3. Oct 25, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    Finbox

Finbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    15' access cab 4x4
    I have a 2015 - The resistor went bad and took out the blower motor. I replaced both with OEM. It hurt $$ but I did it my self so labor cost was a 6 pack of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale.

4. Nov 17, 2022 at 2:54 PM
    dwr80

dwr80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Having similar issues. The fan stopped working and replaced only the resistor. It started to work but now stopped. Yes to the wires at resistor harness end are burnt as well as plug wires near blower motor. I did not replace either. Would this cause fan motor not to operate?
    Try cutting wires and both ends and add new plugs?

5. Nov 17, 2022 at 3:09 PM
    Finbox

Finbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    15' access cab 4x4
    Hi,
    That was my experience - the resistor took out the blower motor. The motor did not fail immediately but a few months later. I replaced both with the upgraded the resistor with the new plug. I did not have burnt wires at the motor.

6. Nov 17, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    dwr80

dwr80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    replacing or adding new wires and plug at the resistor helped?

7. Nov 17, 2022 at 3:28 PM
    Finbox

Finbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    15' access cab 4x4
    I replaced every thing - the blower, the new upgraded resistor and with the new resistor the correct plug for the resistor. Has worked fine since then.

8. Nov 17, 2022 at 3:29 PM
    dwr80

dwr80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TY, will try all of that

Products Discussed in

To Top