1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005+ Tacoma driveline vibration class action lawsuit

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tarik, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    Tarik

Tarik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego California
    Spidertrax wheel spacers Avid bed rack Avid sliders 285/75/16 BFG KO2 Black vent rings TRD red start button Screen protection ProComp 3.5 lift
    Hey trek...
    Chompster, don't believe everything you're told.
    I am definitely not pro-lawsuit.
    Consider though there was a recent LA Fitness lawsuit that yielded recipients in the file less than $0.30. It was absurd financially, but it aimed at their unfair practices and initiation/fee practices and deceptions.
    The case went to court and won on behalf of LA Fitness members.
    What's the point? To teach these people they can't take advantage of the consumer. You.
    Considering today's climate of banks pretty much doing anything they want, no accountability to what happened to our taxpayer bailout $, and continued fleecing by large institutions to milk the populous at large, I find it interesting that people blindly support a company like Toyota in spite of their vehicle issues...sort of like letting the banks do anything they like...

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

You are on the wrong forum. This is for gen2. You have a gen1 when toyota made a good truck. ;)

3. Jun 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Take your driveline out, swap it 180 at the intermediate u-joint and I bet your problem is fixed. Mine was fine until they replaced a u-joint and put it 180 out, denied it.... even though it was obvious.... I've lived with it since. Everytime I try to replace a u-joint I end up breaking the shit out of at least two :)

4. Jun 21, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Tarik, you and others are obviously experiencing a real problem that is not being solved. If what it takes to be a class action lawsuit is a larger number of complaints, it might be hard to do unless you take out a public announcement of some sort in the newspapers. Another way to do it is to contact local media or consumer advocates and see if they can help investigate before this gets out of hand. Often times it will shake the shoulder of a company if there is a threat of another issue that will be a notch on the consumer watchdogs belt.

I don't particularly favor class action lawsuits unless it involves something dangerous or abusive (such as employees vs WalMart) but a wake up call and some answers seem to be warranted here.

I understand the frustration, especially after seeing all these threads. A truck that cost 30k should please certain owner expectations and because of the Toyota name, there is even higher expectation.

But understand nothing is perfect and sometimes it does take someone to grab the bull by the horns to get its attention. But how about starting from the bottom and progress accordingly?

Might want to consider an alternative to class action before you take a step as big as this.

I wish you luck in getting this solved with the least possible cost for ANYONE, including Toyota.

I, on the other hand, have not experienced this vibration problem with my Tacoma as of yet.

5. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    Tarik

Member:
    San Diego California
    Spidertrax wheel spacers Avid bed rack Avid sliders 285/75/16 BFG KO2 Black vent rings TRD red start button Screen protection ProComp 3.5 lift
    I appreciate your post here.
    There are valid points here and I agree there are other venues outside of litigation, though it seems everyone who has had the issue, and has had it addressed, ends up in the same place-with no answer or resolution.
    One thing I did want to make clear is that I personally wasn't setting out to sue. I was looking for a unified consensus to gauge the level of frustration people here are experiencing (which seemed apparent and unified based on the many threads I found regarding this issue). It seems, however, that very few, if any, would stand behind a movement, whichever form it would take.
    Based on what I see here I don't think I'd spend my personal time and affiliations trying to assist in a solution to benefit the community.
    But I may take your advice regarding other avenues, including media, to maybe stir something up to shed light on this issue.
    It's very odd that your truck, like many others, experience no such problem.

6. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM
    Tarik

Member:
    San Diego California
    Absurd.
    I bought a new truck. Not something I'm going to crawl under and investigate...why would I possibly do that when I know very little about vehicle mechanics? That's what my service department is for! And apparently they can't fix it either, so what makes you think a collared shirt guy (is that supposed to be an insult?) who expects his new vehicle to be trouble free is going to do? And why should I spend a dime, much less $300 on a part that may not fix a Toyota design flaw? That's why I bought a new truck..a basic concept you're not grasping.

7. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

I would love to fix the problem for $300. I just can't keep throwing money at the problem hoping that it might fix the problem. I do crawl under the truck and get dirty ...I do my own maintenance. :cool:

8. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    $300 for a Tom Woods ?

That's cheap

9. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    The threads you linked (didn't read through EVERY post, just enough to get the idea) all were started from 2007-2008. My truck wasn't made yet.

I forget what year your truck is. Also, is it 2x4? 4x4? Auto? Stick? Let's find the common ground here.

On some of the threads it seems to happen on both auto and stick.

10. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Oh balls

11. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Not up mya

12. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Fuckin eh, right?

Sub'd, I love explosions.

13. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    In Canadian it would be " Fuckin right , eh ? "

14. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    Tarik

Member:
    San Diego California
    I didn't go through all the threads to pull out ones specific to my year. Just ones addressing the vibrations.
    Mine is a 2011 4x4 double cab.
    Last time at the dealer (6th time in 2 weeks) I was offered a ride in an identical new one with 4 miles on it. Same exact vibration.
    Because the other new truck did what mine did, it allowed the service manager to state that this is therefore normal since it is exhibited on all Tacomas. And because of that, that there was nothing more hd would do for me. Got a problem? Call Toyota! ...he says!
    Through another dealer and a case #, I have a field tech guru coming out to see my truck, but this has all been done before by countless others with no resolution. And throwing new, identical, flawed parts at a new truck won't fix the problem.

15. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM
    Tarik

Member:
    San Diego California
    You one of those tough guys that eats rusty metal for breakfast huh? Tough talk but quick to not stand up for your right to a manufactured product free of defects? That the kind of low expectation you have for everything, or just your truck? Not sure about you but I personally take pride in my work and don't dish out sub standard service. Hope you're not a heart surgeon.
    Get it through your head that I don't work on my own cars. If I did, I might entertain some of your suggestions...after my warranty is out. Till then, it has nothing to do with a cheap fix, thanks, and I'll continue holding Toyota accountable for fixing this truck.

16. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    Bfoster133

Bfoster133 If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Thousand oaks, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD offroad
    15% Tint, 5100's at 1.75, Rear Diff Breather, CB radio, Black rattle canned rims, 265/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Magnaflow Offroad pro cat back, hi-lift bed mounted, shovel bed mounted
    yours lasted 25K?!?!?!?!?!?! mine lasted like 300 miles!

17. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock
    Hey Tarik,

I feel ya man. Just do what you gotta do. This will start to shun others who have real problems with our trucks. No more infos to share. No more tsbs and recalls because there will be no more complaints. Isn't that how the big three survived? People don't complain so they just kept building crappy stuff for a very long time.

I'm buzzed just rambling. Hehe

18. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    No he didn't at all. You got to pay him $150 an hr to do that.

19. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I usually skip over yours

20. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    around the world
    OP, you mention you know very little about vehicle mechanics, and are surprised to see so many people continuing to support Toyota for inferior products...
    so why exactly do you continue to support Toyota yourself? you do own one, lemon law it, sell it, trade it and stop supporting Toyota then. :rolleyes:

gooooood luck with the class action lol
    check out sales numbers of Tacoma's per year, then imagine the super small percentage of those actually being on a forum. next you see the small minority with issues, the actual percentage is not even worthy of a TSB, let alone a recall, or class action? hah
    you're wasting your time...

Products Discussed in

To Top