1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 Tacoma V6 clutch slave cylinder rebuild

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by baldy77, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Oct 12, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    just2wd

just2wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Just tried changing this but couldn't get the fluid line off might of rounded it any advice ?

2. Oct 13, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    Jason J

Jason J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    Buy a new line then use vise grips on old line to remove.

3. Oct 13, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    just2wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    Done and thanks. But the clutch pedal feels shallow if anyone knows what I mean. Does this mean it needs to be bled more?

4. Oct 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM
    Jason J

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    If your saying the pedal travels further then it used to before feeling the resistance of the clutch you need to keep bleeding. It should be identical unless you adjusted the pushrod inside the cab.

5. Oct 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    just2wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    That helps a lot thank you

6. Oct 31, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Did this today. So easy! To remove it, swap out the parts and put it back in took about 45 minutes. Bleeding added another 15-20.
    I can still hear the chirping, but it's less noticeable. It seems to come and go now, but again, at a lower volume. Considering the ease of the job, and the low cost, id say it's worth doing.

Edit: drove it all day. Chirping is back! I can't figure out why it'd return. The only thing I can think of is where OP mentioned honing the inside of the cylinder. Maybe the piston is getting hu up on the walls of the Linder still, despite the new internals?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    samiam likes this.
  7. Nov 3, 2015 at 8:15 PM
    larolco

larolco Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 sold 2023 SR5
    Okay, I've been reading through this thread because I think my '06 6-speed has a bad throw-out bearing. It squeaks/chirps at idle when the clutch pedal is not depressed. I notice no irregular sounds when driving or when the clutch is depressed. Even a little pressure on the clutch pedal makes the sound go away. It only does it when idling in neutral.

After reading this thread, I am wondering if I actually have a bad TOB or if the slave cylinder rebuild will fix the problem.

What's the collective opinion?

8. Nov 3, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    samiam

samiam Always here, never there

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Stinky Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR DCSB 4.0 6MT 1E7 Alu Cab
    Workin' on Workin' on it
    It's hard to say for sure, but the rebuild kit is only $13 and an hour of your time.

Jason J likes this.
  9. Nov 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM
    Skawdee

Skawdee SKOL Vikings!

Member:
    Star Valley, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD-Offroad, 6-spd Man.
    Old Man Emu 2.5” Full Suspension Lift w/ Wheeler's Off-Road Progressive Leaf Pack JBA Upper Control Arms Moog Lower Control Arms Victory4x4 Strike Front Bumper w/ Grill Tubing Morimoto XB Headlights Baja Designs Squadron Sport Amber Fog LED’s Baja Designs 20” White LED Light Bar Over-sized BFG All-Terrain Tires K&N Stock Replacement Air Filter Pioneer AVIC-W8400 Head Unit Apple TV Wireless Phone Charging Pad Bed rail mounting with ax, shovel, MaxTrax Bed Extender
    I'm in the same boat. I have a 2009 Off-Road 6-spd with 75k miles and my truck started chirping a few months ago. I started a lot of research and was very close last night to ordering the $780 dollar clutch/flywheel upgrade with the added TOB kit and bolts. Of course I don't know how to do all of that so I'd have to spend another $650 at the shop for them to do it and not warranty the work.

http://urdusa.com/store/Trans,-Clut...L-V6-w/6-speed-transmission/product_info.html

So now I'm reading this and thinking twice. I'm going to hold off and making knee-jerk reactions. I have read two other posts that the URD throwout bearing is squeaking again after 15k miles. So that's not good, either. I'll keep researching this and also ask my local mechanic what he thinks. He's a certified Toyota mech, so we'll see. I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks for the teamwork!

Scott

samiam likes this.
  10. Nov 10, 2015 at 4:52 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    I personally wouldn't order that whole setup. For one, yes, there are now reports that their "tob kit" is also chirping. But aside from that, I see absolutely no reason for a lightweight flywheel in a truck. For sports cars looking for acceleration, sure...but not in a truck where you want to keep up the inertia.

11. Apr 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM
    Sworthen16

Sworthen16 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 MT 4.0
    Any updates? New fixes or an actual fix?

12. Apr 7, 2016 at 11:53 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    None that I've read about. Only temporary. Just one of those annoying things to live with I think. I havent seen anyone w/ their trans blowing up from it either. Quill torn up, maybe. But again, I haven't seen anyone with their trucks disabled b/c of the bad TOB which means finding a permanent solution isn't much of a priority.

getwrecked99 likes this.
  13. Dec 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory My member is well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Hi guys,

My 2012 also just got the clutch chirp. I'm told that it won't be covered under my CPO warranty because the TOB assembly is a wear item. I understand the clutch disc being a wear item, but this sort of thing doesn't seem like a normal wear problem to me (I'm very easy on my truck and do not ride the clutch). I'm trying to debate whether $2K to repair it (including new clutch disc and PP/FW resurfacing) is worth it at this point.

I am also assuming that Toyota implemented the bigger spring in the slave cylinder beginning at 2012 and onward, since my year is not covered in T-SB-0365-10 (this TSB replaces the toasted TOB).

If the chirp is not representative of imminent mechanical doom, should I really worry about fixing it? Or just live with the squeal? $2K is pretty steep, and my current clutch should hold up just fine. Maybe I should worry about this when it's time to replace the clutch disc.

@hladun your assertion about the noise is a little confusing. The video shows the new bearing noise (none) and the old bearing noise as a method of comparison at 14:33. The new TOB does not make any noise. See the caption on the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

Boomkanani likes this.
  14. Dec 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory My member is well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Boomkanani likes this.
  15. Dec 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM
    Boomkanani

Boomkanani Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB - 6 Speed
    Some stuffz
  16. Feb 20, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    getwrecked99

getwrecked99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The TOB will always end up chirping . Even with a new clutch the TOB does a lot of work so it takes a shit fast. Wish you didn't have to drop the tranny every time you needed to swap the damn bearing

17. Mar 23, 2017 at 5:39 AM
    Powerwagon896

Powerwagon896 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4.0 6-Apeed
    My son's 2010 Tacoma has the squeal that goes away when the pedal is depressed slightly.

Looking at the PIX of the slave cylinder components it seems backwards to me. Does the spring keep the TOB in contact with the pressure plate diaphragm or does the spring retract the fork to pull the TOB out of engagement? That seems bass ackwards to me.

18. Mar 23, 2017 at 5:34 PM
    Jason J

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    The spring in the slave cylinder keeps the TOB in contact with the pressure plate hence the chirping from not enough spring pressure-wear on the fingers from lack of constant contact.

19. Mar 24, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    Powerwagon896

Powerwagon896 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4.0 6-Apeed
    I understand that, but from what I understand, the TOB is NOT designed for constant contact with the pressure plate diaphragm. While this may temporarily remedy the symptom, it will shorten the service life of the TOB. This "fix" would be similar to driving with my foot on the clutch pedal.

I have never had to service a clutch in a vehicle that was not subjected to severe use and have driven cars over 200K miles without so much as an adjustment to the clutch. If I can cure this symptom W/O subjecting the TOB to reduced service life, that is what I will attempt.

If however, the TOB IS designed for constant contact, then this is a viable option. Is the TOB originally designed for constant contact?

20. Mar 24, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top