1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Prerunner shock and coil question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Swamp Rabbit, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Dec 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    Swamp Rabbit

Swamp Rabbit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    I have a 2006 Prerunner that I purchased used a while back. I am going to replace shocks and struts. Currently has a 2 1/2" Rough Country lift with stock struts/shocks. My question is will the Bilsteins give me the same lift and ride I have now? Or will it lift my truck since they (from what I understand) are for a TRD package? Thanks for the help.

2. Dec 19, 2016 at 5:45 AM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    Prerunner and 4x4 have the same ride height from factory. You should probably remove the spacers and obtain lift from the coilovers. You could keep the blocks in the back or opt for an addaleaf or full leaf pack. It will ride significantly better.!

3. Dec 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM
    Swamp Rabbit

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    Thanks I will consider that. I am pleased with exactly what I had just the shocks are worn out. Every time I do a search for OEM struts or shocks, it pulls up Monroe shocks.

4. Dec 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    How do you know your shocks are shot? 'bounce test' doesn't do much on these vehicles. Have you removed one or two and tested them that way or something? Or are they blown with oil running down the sides?

Rough Country is on the bottom end of the food chain around here.

There are no struts on our trucks, regardless of what any catalog says. Just 4 shocks.

No shock 'lifts' anything. Shocks control springs. Bilsteins for our trucks (and some other vehicles) have multiple spring perch choices, and by selecting anything above 0, the spring is preloaded, creating lift via the spring. And reduced spring travel, along the the potential for coil bind. Much better to select the right spring for the task at hand, and the right shock to control it.

I'd suggest calling Marie @HeadStrong Off-Road, telling her what you have now and what you want to accomplish. If her recommendation costs more than you were planning, save your money till you can afford to do it right.

5. Dec 19, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    spiralout462

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    You could try Bilstein 4600's. I believe they were OE equipment on Trd Sport models. There are plenty in the BST section on a regular basis. They will fit your truck fine. So would the correct Monroe, I suppose. Most people will suggest coilovers while your doing it, but not necessary if your happy with your current setup.

6. Dec 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    Swamp Rabbit

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    I will give them a call. Thanks.

7. Dec 20, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    Swamp Rabbit

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    So here is another question that was brought up to me by a buddy of mine. I run a camper shell on my truck year around. It's a high rise fiberglass. I am unaware of it's actual weight. Should I use different shocks in the rear to compensate for the extra weight?

8. Dec 20, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    spiralout462

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Shocks just dampen the springs. The leaf pack is whats most important in the rear.

9. Dec 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM
    Swamp Rabbit

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    So I have been reading a lot of different post and trying to get a little knowledge about my truck. Sometimes this forum can be a little confusion but I will dig it out. Here is an update and what actually caused me to start thinking one of the reasons my shocks were worn out. When I back up out of my driveway is when I notice this the most or when I back up while hitting the smallest of bumps there is a rubbing/squeaking noise. So I had my dad push on the bumper up and down while I was under my truck and this is the culprit. Coil rubbing sway bar. It is like this on both sides. Again this truck was purchased with stock coils/shocks but with a spacer that appears to measure about 1 1/4". So what I am thinking now is Bil 5100 and EMU 2885 coils. Not sure what to set shocks on though to match my current set up. Help there please. Here is a picture of the rubbing. I don't want to make any purchases until I know I don't have other issues going on. Again thanks for everyones help and please excuse the dumb questions. Merry Christmas.

IMG_1563_zpsll3khe8j_5b56d00851e8320608856907a1333e927361d9ce.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top