1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Sport Wheel Corrosion Dealer Experience

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fjm0008, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    So I have the dreaded corrosion known for 2005-06 Sport Wheels. I went to the dealer to discuss it with them as it is clearly a known problem with these years. They start out by saying I must have put some kind of cleaning solution on them to cause this. Then we have never heard of this problem before. Then we will speak to the local Toyota rep. When I was leaving another service advisor mentioned that someone was in the week before with the same problem. I never heard back from them, they must still be checking with the Toyota rep. Called them back and got a flat no we don't cover corrosion although Toyota Corporate says differently. Anyway, I did not want to drive around anymore and decided to fix it myself. I used a grinder and graduating finer sandpaper on my cordless drill and removed all of the chipping paint and corrosion. Then taped them up which was the longest part of the job. Three coats of flat black and on to the next wheel. Attached are the results. Keep in mind I am by no means a professional painter. This was the cheapest solution until I get new wheels.

DSC00013.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    boatoct1 006.jpg
    boatoct1 005.jpg

2. Oct 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    That looks really damn good. If I didn't need a different offset, I would have done that. Only thing I might try is a gloss black to see how that looks.

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Your right, the corrosion started right on the edge where the back of the wheel meets the visual edge. I made sure to get the edge clean but it is not a permanent fix but it should last a while.

4. Oct 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    J Mill

J Mill Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Racine, Wi
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 DC LB
    Looks good. My 2007 TRD OR has similar issues. I hit the wheels with a power washer and started blowing paint off of them. The salted roads up here don't help matters any.

5. Oct 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    That looks really good!

6. Oct 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    dam thats pretty horrible

Products Discussed in