1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Transmission service???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scott2006, May 17, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Scott2006

Scott2006 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    La Mesa Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    I have an 06 pre runner 2 wheel drive and have always been bothered with the shifting lag that it sometimes does. I asked about changing the fluid and doing a service and was told it involves much more than that as it is computer controlled. I just did an 1 1/2" lift and now notice it more along with a minor vibration around 1000 rpm up steep hills. The truck has 65000 miles on it and I have mentioned the shifting just about every time it was serviced and always got the "that's normal for this vehicle" response. Is this normal for my vehicle??? :D

2. May 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    I have an 06 PreRunner as well with about 2" of lift on it. I too have the same or similar problem. The shift seems to lag around 1st and 2nd, sometimes 3rd. I have had the Trans serviced twice, not because the shifting bugged me all that much, just maintaining it. The shifting has remained the same, so I would suppose it is just normal, at least for my truck. I have 95k on mine.

I also have the vibrations at lower rpms, right about 1000 as well but mine is usually just when I am coming off the line. I haven't noticed it after that point or at any other rpm's.

3. May 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Back40

Back40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Dbl Cab
    Since it is a sealed trans it is a little more difficult than just drain/refill. I flushed mine @60k. Took me about 1.5 hrs and 11 qts of WS. Toughest part was getting it in AT Temp check mode.

4. May 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    Scott2006

Member:
    La Mesa Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    It lags most noticeably when up shifting between 1st and 2nd with no real load on it. It's worse in the morning but does it a lot when in traffic and warmed up. It's like it wants to shift but revs up a little before finding the next gear. The vibration I noticed after the lift when I was starting up a steep hill. It is always around 1000-1100 rpm like BigJLarse83 mentioned. I had the suspension shop that did the install look at it. The mechanic dropped the carrier for the middle u-joint a little, but said I might need an adapter plate that lowers it more and straightens out the increased angle caused by the lift. I didn't think that 1 1/2" of lift would cause any problem.

5. May 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    Scott2006

Member:
    La Mesa Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    I wasn't aware of any TSB on the tranny in my truck, even though I have mentioned shifting problems and exhaust leak sounds to the dealer, they pretty much just blow you off. I'm out of warranty now though...

6. May 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    erion109

erion109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT
    Weathertech FR & RR, DDM Tuning HID 55W 5000k Bi-Xenon, ARE topper, Yellow painted fog-lamp mod, anytime fog-lamp, Ipod interface, Red Top OPTIMA, Bilstein 5100s and 1.5 Toytech AAL, Redline Hoodstruts and EZdown tailgate.
    This is like freaking Deja Vu! I have the same issues. Noticed it slightly before and then lifted with 5100's and Toytec coils and it became much more noticeable. Bought 3 degree shims and made no changes at all with them on, flipped in any direction either or off. I tightened the shit out of the carrier bearing and made no difference. My vibration is the same from about 1100 to maybe 1500 in first and second gear. Like someone mentioned, it is more noticeable when first taking off. What's the deal with the Transmission TSB? I'm out of warranty (2006), but I would pay to get this fixed.

To Top