1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 won,t go into four wheel drive....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kpmcg, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 4:36 AM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all taco lovers....I was changing my oil and put my 2006 tacoma in four wheel high to help get up my ramps,I finished the oil changs and backed off the ramps and put it back in two wheel hi but the four wheel drive light just flashed so I went forward and backwards but no luck,I went for a drive no luck,I pulled over put it neutral and tried four wheel low,it went in and the buzzar went like it should so I took it out and tried for two wheel high again,I can tell it is in two wheel high because of the rpm,s but the four wheel indicator green light is now flashing non stop and it will not go in four wheel drive at all,(high or low)...Any advice?Servo?Electric actuator?Sensor?Please tell me I don't need to take it to the stealer....I need help fast as snow is on the way...Thanks....KPMCG...

2. Oct 31, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    Tom's Turf

Tom's Turf Member

Member:
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    K&N drop in filter, Westin sidebars
    Turn the truck off completely then crank it back up.....should go out of 4WD. Happened to me a couple of times........:cool:

3. Oct 31, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for responding Tom,I did try that first befour driving it and backing up and going forward and trying different four wheel settings,the light just flashes constantly and won't go in four wheel high or low,I admit I was negligent in using four wheel drive occasionally.....

4. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    This is exactly why I hate push button 4x4 engagement systems. Give me a real lever that I can engage by hand! I dont really know what is the matter with your. Cylinenoid not responding to the switch? On the manual trans you have to really puch the clutch pedal hard to the floor to get into low range. That is somtimes tricky.

5. Oct 31, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Are you getting any sound when you flip the switch or no response at all? I had this exact same thing happen. I got up under there and the actuator had gotten water in it. I pulled it all out and cleaned it up, works like a charm now!

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    My tacoma is an automatic,I drove it 70 clicks last night ,luckily it is in two wheel high,I tried repeatedly switching to four wheel high,I don't think it is making any sound when I switch,(I hear ya on that stupid knob,a shifter is so much better,anything electronic is a pain in the can sooner or later)....I haven't been near any water,it is weird how it went in no problem but diden't want to come out and the light still flashes....I called the stealer and as usual they can't look at it for a week,(too busy mounting winter tires),(car dealership or tire shop)....Ièll let y,all know what it is when I find out and the price,gulp...

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    tridge400

tridge400 Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 SR5
    I had a similar problem with my 05..I had just bought the truck and after only 2 days I noticed after starting, the 4x4 light was illuminated, the ABS and the 4lo light was on WTF!!! I took pictures and sent them via text message to the service department at Annapolis MD toyota,,they wanted to know if the vehicle was in actual a wheel drive,,I drove it and it was not in 4 lo or 4 hi..but all the lights were on..along with the wheel display and the ABS light. When i took it to the dealer ,, and went into the service desk
    when I went to restart the vehicle,,the lights were out ..go figure...They kept the truck for 5 days troubleshooting and never got the truck to display the indication again..they informed me that unless the lights were on when they hook up diagnostic..no codes would appear. They said they had never seen this problem before,,,good thing I had those pioctures..Anyway I am currently archiving when this problem comes back and it has happened 3 times since I got the truck back...Each time was after the truck sat in direct sunlight at about 85-90 degrees outside temp. So folks what thoughts have you,,,this is really pissing me off....Do you guys have any ideas?????

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    TimS

TimS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC tacoma/2005 access cab
    Rebuilt with flatbed 5100's, new spring packs
    On my 2005 it would not come out of 4hi. At the soliniod, I unplugged the plug and cleaned out some crud. I also looked for any loose, broken or knicked wires. I think it was from a lack of use that it got stuck, It finally worked with a couple of taps on the solinoid and its been good since. The truck was not used for awhile until I bought it.

9. Nov 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    Well today oddly enough the four wheel indicator finally went out but when I put it in four wheel hi or lo the light just flashes and it just won't engage,I listened with the door open and it is making noise so the electrical seems o.k.....Apparently the steelership had a cancellation,(lucky me,a victory in itself so it goes in tomorro),I hope it all of a sudden dosn't start working like described above as there is definately something up and I don't want to get caught in a shitty Canadian winter and have it fail....It goes in tomorrow,so with any luck I'll hear back soon....I'll let all you fellow taco owners in on what it was and the dreaded price to drive 4x4....Stay tuned....

10. Nov 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    I think I'm in trouble,I called the dealership today and after having my truck all day,I was told they haven't figured it out and they want to keep the truck overnight because the mechanic figures it is electrical and has been going through my wiring like spagetti strands,(his words),anyway the service manager told me he wants to give the mechanic a break and pull him off as he said he was ready to pull his hair out....He told me to call back tomorrow for hopefully news on what is wrong,judging by how long they have been at it,any hope of a simple fix is all but gone....Better call my brother for a ride and check my finances....Stay tunned.....

11. Nov 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    Today after calling the dearlership four times it appears they think it is the actuator which they are ordering at 600 bucks plus tax and three hours labour,around 1100 total,the only trouble is they say it might be a two part fix but they won't know until they change the actuator...It sounds like they are playing hit and miss on my dime,guess I'll find out tomorrow,if the actuator shows up,it would be nice to get the taco back for the weekend,so far they have had it for three days,geezz....We shall see.....

12. Nov 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My 2006 did the same thing you described & it was the actuator.
    The part was around $350 plus diag.
    It happened at 16k so covered under warranty.

Toyota had the truck for 2 days. The repair bill showed how the tech was using some online system to troubleshoot probably because it was a warranty claim?

You can look up the part online under the front diff assembly, that is amazing if the part went up that much.

13. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    Well you were right,it was the actuator,598 plus tax,plus a couple of gaskets,a fuse,four litres of tranny fluid,and of course labour,all for 1126.00...I'm glad to have it back and fixed,I just wish the so called technician could have diagnosed it faster and better,I mean he had all my wiring out behind the glove box and he broke the clips on a big module box so now it rattles against my glovebox,I might as well fix it myself as to give the truck back until who knows when....Also there was greasy hand prints all over my drivers door,passenger door,dash,as well as dirty boot marks on my carpet and sills but the worst part is there is a nick in my leather steering wheel cover,no sense in complaining I guess as the last place I want to go back is there....Tomorro I'll clean it up and hope for the best...Thanks for all the responces....By the way does anyone know if the buzzar is supposed to stay on when in four wheel low or only if it isen't all the way in,oh and also does the red rear wheel diff lock indicator go solid when locked or does it just flash,I could read the manual but figure some tacomonite will know....Keep it on the trail and out of the shop....

14. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Are you still under your powertrain warranty (5yr/60k)? If so, I believe the actuator should of been covered.

15. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    For that much money I think they replaced whole transfer case. Most likely actuator would just need cleaning and by itself is probably a $200 part :rolleyes:

16. Nov 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Yeah typical stealership markup....

17. Nov 6, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    Well after getting my actuator replaced,I slid uder to take a look,I coulden't see anything new,does anyone know exactly where it is so I don't look like a fool when I go back to the dealer to say wtf...It is the one that controls the four wheel drive at the front,I,m confused because I thought it was on the drivers side on the transfer case but it cetainly isn't new...Is it under the skid plate?...Also mayby I'm calling it by an incorect name,Is it called a front differential locker?...The dealer invoice just says actuator motor,I know they are masters of mark up but I just can't believe they would charge me 600 bucks for a part they didn't change as well as two gaskets and four litres of tranny fluid....

18. Nov 8, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    kpmcg

kpmcg [OP] Member

Member:
    I put the taco up on the ramps and had a better look and indeed there is a nice new shiney actuator up front hidden underneath the skid plate so at least I know it was changed....I also noticed they broke off one of my skid plate bolts so I drilled it out retapped and replaced,also they discarded some of my split loom and just left the wires exposed so I had to get some and spent some time putting it back on with plastic ties and for good measure rerouted the harness the way it was supposed to be,talk about no attention to detail,well at least I,ve got it back to my liking and learned alot...Thanks for all the help....

19. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    D2zone

D2zone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Where is the 4WD actuator located? Is it the one at the front diff or at the transfer case?

20. Nov 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Still $1000 for replacing $290 actuator? Complete ripoff if you ask me. Toyota service is becoming like Ford :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top