1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 - Air Pressure Light On

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SubFrozen, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen [OP] r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    'Ello--

I have a 2007 Tacoma TRD SR5 Off-Road. I have after market wheels and tires on it. Recently, the tire pressure light came on, so I swung into a quickstop and checked the pressure; 30-35PSI on 50PSI tires. I filled them up to 45PSI all the way around, and used the switch in the truck to reset the pressure system. Still on, all tires have the same PSI, but the system won't go off.

I have 35k miles on the truck. If this is broken, can I get a warranty repair? Should I try 50PSI all the way around and see if it works?

-Will

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    What is the tire recommending on the pressure?

I would run it at that and if it's not going off, take it to the dealer.

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Did you swap out the sensors when you got the aftermarkets?

Also the spare has a sensor up until the 09's so don't forget to check it

4. Jan 14, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Check your spare. 2007s had a sensor in there too. I had this issue with my 08. Make sure all 5 tires are the same pressure (mine are at 32 psi), if the light doesn't go off, use the reset button under the steering column.

5. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    And when you take your spare out to check it, flip it over when you put it back, so next time you don't have to drop it down.

6. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    SubFrozen

SubFrozen [OP] r00t

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Sandy, UT
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco SR5 V6
    3" OME Heavy Duty Lift, 18" Chrome Rimes, ARB Front Bumper, K&N Cold Air Intake
    My after markets state to have them at 50PSI. For winter driving, should I drop that down? Also, if my spare is stock, and at 32PSI, but my after markets are at 50PSI, will that throw off the sensors and cause the light in the dash to pop?

I did use the reset button, no change, the light blinks and then it stays on.

7. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    All 5 of your tire pressures need to be the same or the light will come on. Toyota wised up last year and took the spare tire sensor out to avoid this problem in 09s and up. AFTER all of your pressures are set, the light should go out in a few minutes. If it does not, then try the reset button. If that doesn't work, you may have a bad sensor. Sometimes the sensors get damaged during installation of new tires. Needless to say, I hate tire pressure monitoring systems.

8. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    check the spare...thats what my issue was...

9. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

They don't have to be the same, just above a certain threshhold. If a sensor or the system is bad, the light will be constantly blinking versus being on solid.

10. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    ^^what he said

11. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Thanks for the correction. Air pressure adjustment to the spare should fix the op's problem.

12. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    my light has been on solid for about 1 month now and ive tried everything. I checked all my tires and the spare. All have the same PSI and ive even gone through using the reset button. Any thoughts on whats keeping the light on? or a way besides the black tape mod to get the light to go out?

13. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    What size tires are you running?

35-36 psi is probably the top end of what you should be running unless you're hauling a lot of stuff (the 50 psi indicated by the tires is most likely an absolute max inflation for the rears on a fully loaded (approx 1600-1800 lb cargo in the bed) 1-ton truck. For driving on snow you'd probably want to back it off to more like 29-32 psi, although some of this would depend on your truck configuration and tire size. Running 45-50 psi in snow is pretty much lunacy unless you're close to max GVW (and if you're running that heavy on ice be very careful about stopping distances).

The 2010 manual reccomends 30 psi in the front and 29 psi in the back and should be the same for the 2007s (confirm this with the sticker on the door pillar), so the TPMS light probably shouldn't come on until around 25-27 psi on the low side. Some TPMS systems are set to warn when pressure is too high as well as too low. Definitely check the pressure on the spare and make sure your sensors are installed in the aftermarket rims.

14. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    Mexnorthtaco

Mexnorthtaco Active Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Off Road
    Toyota refers to this problem in the manual, and suggests causes and RX; one possible problem is cold temperatures. Don't know about Oregon, but up here in Canada it can be a problem. I drove from coastal BC up through the Rockies to Calgary, Alberta, in early November. Bloody cold, I thought, with extreme snow/icy road conditions; light came on on the way up into the alpine region and didn't go off until I returned to the coast, reset the tire pressures and reset the system. Later, I switched back to reular tires and repeated the operation; still later, with first snow here, in December, I switched back to snow tires and did it all again. It has worked as per instructions, each time.

15. Jan 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I agree. The spare is normally the issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top