1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Tacoma - Flat towing?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgord, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mar 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    mgord

mgord [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    K&N, Leaf Springs, Home Built Camper
    Does anyone know if I can flat tow (behind an RV) my 2007 Toyota Tacoma V6 6 speed manual TRD Off Road?

I don't think so because of the electronic 4 wheel drive system. If not then a quick way to disconnect without decoupling the drive shaft.

2. Mar 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    I may be wrong, but I want to say its not a problem. Its the auto's that you have to be concerned with overheating or running without lubrication in the transmission.

3. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    David Hoover

David Hoover New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma double cab 4X4 V6 6speed Man
    I just purchased a 2008 tacoma double cab 4X4 with a V-6 and a 6 speed manual tranny. I want to tow it behind my motor home. I found out from a friend who is in that business and he told me that Toyota state that you cannot flat tow a tacoma. I went to their website and asked for confirmation and is true do they sell something ( I was thing an aux oil pump for the tranny) they confirmed that they stae you cannot flat tow and they stated that they do not sell anything. I then asked if I could tow it on a dolly and what is the possible damage if tow flat. the response I got was that they can normally tell when a truck is towed dueto damage to the tranny and axles due to lack of lubrication. I do not understand the axles at all. the vehicle rolls and the axles are lubricated. I am still looking into possible after market Aux lubricating pump for the tranny. i will post my findings.

4. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    hilux30

hilux30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PEI
    Vehicle:
    '15 4Dr SB 6MT
    OTT tune 3 degree cam gear OME/Dobinson
    I don't think you can install an auxiliary pump for the 6-speed, unless you drill and tap holes in the right spots there is no connections for the fluid... there's no pump inside either, lubed as it rotates.. but as you flat tow in neutral only some the trans is rotating, so after being in the towing business for a long time I've learned to just pull the driveshaft on manuals, light trucks and semi trucks (auto for sure)... you could do that if you're interested, that will garauntee no damage. Due to the electric transfer case, you can't shift into absolute neutral like many other 4x4s and that maybe the reason why AAA manuals always say to flatbed, dolly or pull shafts on modern electric TC trucks. The front ADD with be fine in rotation...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/253301-6-speed-4x4-flat-towing.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/237323-can-new-4x4-flat-tow-behind-motorhome.html

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    Toyota doesn't sanction "dinghy towing" (as it's referred to in the manual) any Tacoma, but people are doing it with the manual transmission models. My brother-in-law has towed his 6 speed '11 DCSB TRD Sport on several ID to AZ trips behind his motorhome and it now has over 40,000 miles with no obvious damage and he intends to continue. He's even bought an accessory hitch and braking system to activate the truck brakes. My 1st gen was a manual and I towed it, but my new 2nd gen is an automatic and I don't have any need to tow it.

Products Discussed in

To Top