1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 vibration and or shutter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PHIL FORBES, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Jun 29, 2007 at 7:38 AM
    GT88

GT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Adkins,
    Hi, Hope you are all doing great and having a nice summer so far.

I was notified in my email of this thread so I wanted to respond. That attitude from Toyota is PRECISELY what I have been trying to say right along. They really do suck and could care less about you, your truck, my truck, nothing....

Sue us, take us to arbitration, buy a Nissan, THEY DON'T CARE!

It will catch up to them...Nobody is on top for ever.

By the way, my $hit box Tacoma is gone. Driving the wife's Cayenne S for now until I decide.

Bye.

2. Jun 29, 2007 at 9:08 PM
    beachbumz

beachbumz New Member

Member:
    As a new stock truck I never really experienced much vibration only after I installed my lift, I got the shudders really bad.. and at 15-25 mph another vibe..
    tryed all sorts of fixes, shims, carrier drops, etc.. nothing worked.
    I just the other day installed my new Tom Woods Driveshaft and cured I got to say about 90% of the vibrations and shudder.. The other 10% is due to the fact I still have the shims installed and they are throwing the driveline off.. going to remove them soon..

I think in the stock driveline where the carrier bearing is and that rubber boot that's were most of the problems are originating from..IMO

Aloha

3. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:05 PM
    Cabinetmaker

Cabinetmaker Member

Member:
    Bottom line; Is this defect enough to get rid of the truck? Is there a better small truck on the market? I bought the thing because of it's reliability rating and the fact that I didn't need a full size gas guzzler. I see olderTacoma's on the road all the time and hear it's common to exceed 200K miles on them. I've scheduled an appointment on Monday for them to look at it again but from what I"ve heard, I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

4. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:22 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    It depends on how severe your problem is. Since none of us can really get together and compare we really dont know how severe each persons vibration is. Mine is very very minor. I can only feel it when i first start from a dead stop, and it actually just feels like im riding over a patch of rough pavement. If i'm not looking for it i dont even notice it and so far nobody that has ridden with me has noticed it. however, some people on this site describe their vibration as fairly severe, and i know one of the members sold his truck because of it. If its a slight vibration i wouldn't worry about it. If it is severe, i would do everything i could to get the dealer to take care of it but results seem to vary from dealer to dealer. How bad would you say the vibration you're experiencing is? on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being not noticeable, 10 meaning your hands and butt go numb from the ride)

5. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:32 PM
    Cabinetmaker

Cabinetmaker Member

Member:
    I wouldn't say it's severe. It's probably only a 2 or 3. It just shouldn't be there. Problem is, it's been twenty years since I had anything with rear wheel drive so it's hard to compare. The 2007 Honda Civic I just bought rides smooth as silk. So does my 1993 Geo Prizm (Corolla knock-off). The last vehicle with rear wheel drive was a 1986 Dodge Ram Van (what a POS that was). Who knows, maybe eventually they'll cave and issue a recall. If not, I've got till 100K miles before I'd have to pay for any repair if it fails. Anyway, I'll give the dealer a couple of tries to fix and post the outcome.

6. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:51 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, if its not that bad i wouldnt worry about it as far as causing damage. if you can live with it then thats really all you can do until/if they issue a TSB. If you search the site some more you will find ALOT of threads dedicated to this issue. One of the members claims a local mechanic solved the problem (don't remember how) and another member claims the problem goes away if you lift your truck. so take some time to cruise the site. you may find something that you can print out and show the dealer. I'll try to find some of the threads and post 'em up for you

7. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:56 PM
    Cabinetmaker

Cabinetmaker Member

Member:
    I've seen a lot of them. Seems like a chronic problem. Based on one form AUSTIN-TX-TACO I'm having them inspect the splined slip-yoke. It seemed like a likely candidate. Not sure they'll do anything about it since it's a pricey fix on their part.

We'll see. Thanks for you help

8. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:30 PM
    tacopuppy

tacopuppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree with ndcouch. I see this quirk as more of a nuisance I am used to more than I do as a problem. I don't foresee it causing catastrophes down the road or effecting long term reliability. However, this quirk shouldn't be there on a really nice truck as the 2nd gen tacoma. My '04 was flawless.

9. Aug 3, 2007 at 5:19 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    What you did was eliminate axle wrap. Driveline vibration is different.

10. Aug 4, 2007 at 1:18 PM
    tacopuppy

Member:
    I had 3 passengers in the vehicle last night. And believe me I was paying attention to gauge that 20-25 mph shudder. It didn't exist with the passengers in the truck. I don't know wtf that was about, but it wasn't there. Today there are no passengers and my little shudder friend is back.

may have to take PB's recommendation and get a one piece driveshaft since I HIGHLY doubt any dealer here will entertain my dilemma nor do anything about it.

11. Aug 4, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    paulcleston

paulcleston Active Member

Member:
    Sounds like Toyota's Service Support reputation is rapidly overtaking the Big 3.

12. Aug 6, 2007 at 6:53 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    hey tacopuppy, what you just described actually helped screw over a fellow member in arbitration. He apparently had a very severe vibration, however, when the cab or the bed was full it went away. When he was trying to prove the defect he had to take the "arbitration guys" (not sure what you'd call them) on a drive to demonstrate the problem. There was the arbitrator, the toyota tech and toyota lawyer (not sure if thats completely accurate but i know there were 3 other people in the truck besides the driver to assess the situation. Anyway, when he took them all out at the same time, the vibration was gone. The arbitrator said the truck was normal and he lost the case. So anyway, i dont know what causes the truck to act normal with weight, but i just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one experiencing that phenomenon. If i can find that particular thread i'll post it up for you.

13. Aug 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM
    tacopuppy

Member:
    hmm, that is just perfect. how f'ing ironic. lol. maybe I need to pull some weights from my bench and mount them in the cab. luckily, for whatever reason, i am getting used to it all. how silly all this is

14. Aug 8, 2007 at 2:35 AM
    adkins_t

adkins_t Member

Member:
    I've had the same experience - put a load in the back (1000 lbs stone in the bed or even attach a 800 lb jet ski/trailer with a tongue load of around 60 lbs) and the 20 mph vibration is much less or even gone. If you put something heavy in the bed the drivetrain alignment changes and the vibration goes away.

You'll find an earlier thread describing my experience but basically I know that: a) if you take the driveshaft off and drive in front wheel mode, no vibration; b) with a new driveshaft the vibration was less (but not gone); c) Toyota feels some 20 mph vibration is normal (based on their feedback after doing b) above and the fact that I drove 2 other trucks on the lot that all did it).

I doubt this was an intentional design - ether they overlooked something (maybe with the TRD package?) or something's not right coming off the line.

I've considered arbitration but don't really have the time and know it's an big uphill battle (probably what Toyota wants to hear). I'm going to live with it for now and hope that if anything does fail that either there will be a TSB/recall by then or I'll still have the warranty.

I haven't had the best experiences with Toyota products - if this one fails me and Toyota doesn't take ownership I'll be sure to spread the word as widely as I can. I know enough people that I think I can cost Toyota a few sales...

15. Aug 8, 2007 at 4:41 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Man, I must have gotten a truck that was built the day the CEO of Toyota was there.

1) Engine ticking: I have no idea what anyone is talking about.
    2)Buzz or shudder: I have no idea what anyone is talking about.
    3) Vibration: Only when I shift wrong (too high a gear for the RPM's) which I have done more often than usual because of the new shift compared to my 300zx.

I'm sorry to hear about this issue but I was wondering:

Could it be that it depends on what a person drove BEFORE this vehicle as a contributing factor?

I noticed that with the reviews. They say the seat is too low on this truck, they must bedriving Lexus' before it because I am almost 4 inches from the roof only and I am 5'10".

I am not trying to dismiss you...I was just wondering.

16. Aug 8, 2007 at 4:46 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    See this is what I mean. I think we all get what we put out. My experiences on what the dealer and Toyota do are precisely the opposite from yours.

I have an 07. I told the dealership about the TSB on the suspension with the 05's and 06's. They called me in and replaces the shocks, added a leaf and did some other stuff with no questions asked. The guy told me Toyota just said go ahead and do it.

I understand why you call your Tacoma a sh$$tbox but mine is nowhere nears that. There are a lot of people who are happy with their trucks and part of me is feeling like your attitude needs to change. I know we are only hearing your side of the story, I am sure if the manager or whoever you were dealing with came to this forum they would tell us what a prick you were when you were dealing with them.

I am sure you are not however. I know you are pissed about the truck. But I can tell from your postings you are the type to pull towards you a lot of conflict. I would not believe otherwise, we all carry the face of innocence like we do nothing wrong.

Toyota is NOT a person. They are a company. So when you say Toyota this or that who are we talking about? I know a lot of "Americans" I think are pricks but can we condemn all of America? Teenage boys are usually rowdy but does that mean they are all the time and all of them?

I don't like using UPS. I think they have horrible problems and their counter people stink. But I am sure many here have okay experiences with them. It depends on who you run into. Not only that but I know FOR SURE it was my attitude those days (I go in ready for a fight and ready for them to give me problems) that cause the issue.

We all work via temporal resonance. We communicate through many mediums and only 7% is lingual communication...figure out the rest. Intention experiments are amazing... They see, hear and FEEL you coming.

17. Aug 8, 2007 at 7:57 AM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Anybody know if GT88's truck was 4x4??

18. Aug 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM
    tacopuppy

Member:
    That is a valid question. And the answer from me is I was driving a Toyota Tacoma before driving my current Toyota Tacoma. It was a first gen. and I was the first owner and it was g'damn flawless. Understand, that my only annoyance with my new truck is that little vibration at 19-22 mph. It is by no means, imo, a sh*tbox, piece of junk, ford exploder equivalent.

19. Aug 8, 2007 at 9:57 AM
    TRDRob

TRDRob New Member

Member:
    My '05 stock double cab 4X4 was at the dealer yesterday for my third complaint about the drivetrain shudder on take-off and "bumping" issues. I just received a phone call from the Service Manager who had contacted the district rep who had contacted the national rep. I was told that Toyota is aware of these issues and has assembled a team to investigate and come up with a fix to possibly include a "repair to the drive shaft angle". It will be several months before this can be resolved.

I was reminded that the drivetrain on these trucks are warranted for 5 years or 60,000 miles so it looks like we have some time to allow them to come up with a fix.

20. Aug 8, 2007 at 1:55 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just bought an 07 dcab prerunner. i too feel the vibration. it is slight and doesnt bother me. if toyota comes up with a TSB for it then ill take it in if not no biggie. as for that engine tick..i have listend to as many tacomas as i have seen running in parking lots over the past week. every last one had the same tick mine does. ill live with it. my opinon is if you can afford a cayenne s then you are used to a whole diffrent level of vehicle. its comparing apples to oranges.. IMHO

Products Discussed in

To Top