1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 vibration and or shutter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PHIL FORBES, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 at 4:54 PM
    adkins_t

adkins_t Member

Member:
    My last vehicle was a 98 Tacoma extended cab, V6, 4x4. I traded it in for my current 07 Tacoma (4x4, extended cab, V6, 4x4, TRD package) because my 98's frame rotted (somewhat disappointing at 115k but I do live in the rust/salt belt of Northeast Ohio).

My dealer (Classic Toyota - Mentor, OH) was at first resistant to try any kind of repair. The first time I took it in they said no problem existed. However, after I got the service manager involved during the second visit they replaced the driveshaft (which helped but didn't completely fix it). All and all they treated me OK.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Toyota takes ownership to resolve the issue. If might be as simple as shimming the carrier bearing to get the right angle.

From what I've heard, only prerunner extended cabs and access cabs have the problem (their driveshafts are two piece vs. once piece for the regular cab). I can't recall anyone with a manual transmission having the problem. Also, I don't know if the 4x4 or TRD packages make a difference. All of those affect angles at the U-joints and carrier bearing. My guess is that Toyota overlooked a combination of features that causes the vibration. Of course, it might be something else completely and I'm full of sh^&!!

2. Aug 8, 2007 at 9:17 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    No way.

I counted the drivetrain complaints (20-30mph decel and/or take-off shudder) here and ToyotaNation --- 95% are 4x4's.

3. Aug 8, 2007 at 11:58 PM
    tacopuppy

tacopuppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    from what I've seen looking at all the boards is double cabs and extended cabs, auto and manual are effected by this. haven't noticed higher counts of reporting from 4x4's vs. prerunner. but, this little shudder thing is common in trucks from Maine to California

If toyota has any pulse on the market they would see this issue is widespread. All they need to do is a simple google search. But, the fact is the only pulse they want is what new potential buyers want. because once you're out the door with a new vehicle manufacturers don't give a sh*t about you. "here's your truck, here's your warranty, have a good one." Only exception being safety issues. $$$$

4. Aug 9, 2007 at 4:46 AM
    Bfmco7

Bfmco7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man I'm sorry about your bad experience with Toyota. My Toyota dealer treated me like gold. Matter of fact I bought a f-250 powerstroke from them.. they called me 2 monthes later and told me if I came in and bought a new toyota that they would give me exactly what I paid for the for back. I went in and they gave me all my money back sat me in a brand new truck and gave me my extended warranty money back on my ford!!! It was amazing. I am sorry to hear about yout toyota dealer and I'm sorry that you are having such problems with toyota. There are not many people out there that have something bad to say about these vehicles. Yes yes you have every right in the world to be angry and I dont blame you.

5. Aug 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM
    TRDRob

TRDRob New Member

Member:

6. Aug 9, 2007 at 12:21 PM
    chief54

chief54 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Regular Cab
    I can also 'feel your pain.' I own, in adddition to a new 4WD Tacoma, an '03 Tundra Access-cab 4WD V-8--- one of many with the same dreaded shutter at 45 to 60 MPH. I no longer have the problem. Here's how I FINALLY got rid of it: (1) OE tires changed to Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T's; (2) Tires road-forced balanced on the Hunter balancer; & (3) Alignment custom-adjusted to maximum + caster allowed under Toyota's specs., with camber & toe set to the middle of mfg. specs. The suspension set-up being basically the same for both Tacoma & Tundra 4x4's, the causitive factors for that 45 to 70 mph vibration sure could be the same...if so, the 3 way cure that worked on mine might work on Tacomas with the same symptoms. CAUTION: Finding an alignment tech who knows how to adjust the Toyota 4WD caster & camber is the biggest headache you'll likely face, both within & outside of dealerships.

7. Aug 16, 2007 at 12:03 PM
    steve.buckles

steve.buckles New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD
    I have the same problem. Toyota of Thomasville, GA is trying to address. I drove another identical truck on the lot and there were no issues. Have you had any luck?

8. Aug 16, 2007 at 12:18 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i personally think the 30-20 mph vibration is due to pinion angle form the rear end thru the driveshaft. i have spent many years lowering my cars.. like the last 20. if you dont get the pinion angel right youll get vibrations like the one we have experianced on our tacomas. i would have to buy angeld lowering blocks to cure it. now thw 50-70 mph is a diffrent story and i havent had that problem on my prerunner just the 30-20 mph one.

9. Mar 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    could it be pinion angle? with weight in bed it changes...Maybe shim the spring to axle tube and adjust it to the measurment found with weight in bed.

10. Mar 27, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    steve.buckles

steve.buckles New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD
    My dealer in Thomasville, GA first replaced the drive shaft. Then they broght in a Toyota expert who used shems to fix the problem. I can't say it is 100% but most of the vibration is gone. Have your dealer call Thomasville Toyota and use my name. They can probably reference my ticket. Good luck.

11. Apr 3, 2008 at 11:53 AM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost

i'm not sure what this moron wants but he posted this same exact thing on several other Toyota boards

12. Apr 13, 2008 at 8:28 AM
    04asphalt

04asphalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    is it caused or just made worse by the spring tsb? carrier bearring is suspect on several threads. mine goes away as soon as I let off the gas! also seems to disapear if I flip it over to 4th:confused:

anyone been contacted about a class-action case?

13. Apr 14, 2008 at 4:33 AM
    Bfmco7

Bfmco7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You and I sound like we have the same problem. My does all of these things

14. Apr 14, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Yeah Nissan is known for their quality.

Thats why my 07 Nissan SE-R had to have an entire brand new power steering unit before it had 150 miles on it.

Its also why Nissan had to replace the head unit with 500 miles.

Its also why pieces of my Sisters SE-R (also) have just fallen off randomly in the driveway. And also needed a new Power Steering Unit.

Nissan's quality is shit and their Customer Service is far worse than shit.

My brand new Nissan also needed to be repainted when it only had 500 miles on it because the dealer (largest one in my city mind you) only employs retards.

I wont buy another Nissan as long as I live.

15. Apr 14, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    They build many of their vehicles in Smyrna, Tennessee. Nuff said...

16. May 11, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    3'OVALS

3'OVALS Slain Warrior

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Bright White Standard Cab
    This thread kinda went in several directions covering several defects. I took my '07 Tacoma to the dealer and talked to the service manager about the 55+mph vibration/noise. As I was describing the symptoms she interrupted me and started describing my truck in detail. Standard-cab 4wd Tacoma with 4cyl, 5 speed manual. Said something about the transfer case and it's normal. "They all do it."

While I haven't been able to say for sure where the noise is coming from, the noise sounds much like a Ford nine inch rear with a bad pinion bearing/excessive backlash. Noise and vibration in float. Quieter and smoother under throttle and deceleration. Could also explain why it makes a difference when carrying a load of Toyota reps and arbitrators.

Toyota has a problem on their hands and they've found a way to use the arbitration system to it's advantage. Just wish I knew the fix for my truck

17. May 11, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    WOW, I have 1200 miles on my Taco TuRD and have yet to find any flaw that would drive me mad..... I have some minor shudder, little ticking, and some other little things, but the way I look at it is; it's only a $26k truck..and truck is the operative word here. I drove a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 fully loaded from 02 to 06 and at was awesome, then I got a 07 MBZ C230 sport not so loaded and performance was great but I missed all the bells and doohickeys that come with a fully loaded car. I guess what I'm getting at is, it's an affordable light truck not a fully loaded crew cab F350 superduty (I just got wood). When you test drove it you should have felt the vibration and heard the ticking and felt how soft the brakes were, I know I did but it's what I wanted and I accept it with all it's flaws. If you really don't like the truck get rid of it and don't look back or let your spouse drive it and get yourself a new vehicle :)

18. Jul 14, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    tacomans

tacomans Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have the shudder/vibration at 20-30 mph and now at 60 mph. It only doe sthe shudder when in 5th gear (auto trans), if I am in 4th gear it won't do it. On the highway where you need 5th, when downshifting to pass it shifts harsh from 5th to 4th. Torque converter? Anyone have these symptoms? Tires were already balanced by Toyota with no luck.

19. Aug 19, 2011 at 3:20 AM
    taco430

taco430 Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    XM Skid Plate Tube Steps Exhaust tip
    I have the same exact shutter on 2010 DC trd 4wd. complained since 1500 miles, I am in the process of arbitration also. The factory rep came out and said the condition is normal. I demanded documentation of their findings because they were refusing to write up a repair order for the 25th visit. I overheard the factory rep on the phone guiding the service manager to write these exact word s on the ro:" Vehicle seems to be operating as designed by manufactuer" beware of this, they are covering their a**. They also changed the rear springs ( 4 leaf), it drives like a dumptruck, the rep said ALL new tacomas will have 4 leaf moving forward. We took a brand new one off the line, 2011, with 4 miles.....it had 3 leafs, not four and it shuttered just the same. This is a known problem and they are refusing to do the right thing. Don't get me wrong, they are GREAT trucks but, regardless there is a problem here.

Also, has anyone EVER given it any thought that TOYOTA has their people monitoring this site and replying to our threads to downplay problems. Wouldn't this be an extremely inexpensive tool for damage control! After all that is what this site is about.....to find out what other people are experiencing with their Toyotas NEGATIVE or POSITIVE.

20. Aug 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM
    LoftyJon

LoftyJon Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Black 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I am also displaying these symptoms in my 2011 double cab; I was not aware that this problem was wide spread. I am just over 3,000 miles and about to bring my truck in for its first service. I was going to mention this problem but seems it may not be such a simple fix since they have ignored the problem for the last 6 years. I thought since this 2nd gen has been out they would have fine tuned the mistakes instead of adding a back-up camera.. priorities I suppose.

Products Discussed in

To Top