1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Rear Leaf Spring Squeak Quick Fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tinker2, May 28, 2011.

1. May 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    tinker2

tinker2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Of The Big River
    I know this topic has been discussed alot here about 2nd. Gen leaf spring squeak. Just got done doing a quick fix. Jacked up under rear axle, jack stands under frame in front of front spring mount.

Removed rear wheels, let jack down to open up leaf springs. Drive small chisles in between springs, use brake parts cleaner & compressed air to clean in between springs. I used PJ1 Black Label motor cycle chain lube & saturated in between springs , reassembled truck test drive, no squeak.

I don't know how long this will last, if the squeaking returns in a short time I'm going to do the inner tube in the spring fix that is in the Mods & Fixes.

2. May 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    Glamis

Glamis date joined 03-18-2009 this is my new ID

Member:
    Anaheim & Glamis, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/LB Sport-2 Debadged
    Debadged, TRD exhaust, Devil Horns, Pop n lock, Stock wheels chromed, K&N, DRL's on/off switch, bed mat, lock & unlock beeper, Disable Seatbelt Warning Chime, 12v Cigarette lighter plug always on, 2009 LED Brake lights, TSP springs, Fire Stone Ride Air springs.
    Caterpillar ( as in the bulldozers) Dry film Lubricant friction lubricant that dose not attract dust or dirt. Goes on black, looks like spry paint.

3. May 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    tinker2

Member:
    East Of The Big River

What kind of time frame does this last?

4. May 29, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Glamis

Glamis date joined 03-18-2009 this is my new ID

Member:
    Anaheim & Glamis, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/LB Sport-2 Debadged
    Debadged, TRD exhaust, Devil Horns, Pop n lock, Stock wheels chromed, K&N, DRL's on/off switch, bed mat, lock & unlock beeper, Disable Seatbelt Warning Chime, 12v Cigarette lighter plug always on, 2009 LED Brake lights, TSP springs, Fire Stone Ride Air springs.
    If i take my time and do it right the summer. In the winder the sand from Glamis and places i take my quads wheres it off faster. I'm getting 6months out of it or so.

I jack one side of the truck up so i can get down in the springs. sand off the rust and spray it on. Also will help with some of the rust spots. (FYI is dose over spry a bit) Goes on black and will make your spring look like there new or just painted. Shooed not rub off on your hands when dry.

5. May 29, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    This is what I've been saying for years! I used chain lube years ago and it lasted 12 months. Then after that 12 months I used it a second time, and it hasn't squeaked since. That was over 2 years ago! And that's through the snowing/wet winters and all the dusty forest roads I spend the summer on cutting firewood and just having fun.

6. May 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    tinker2

Member:
    East Of The Big River

I picked up the chain lube idea on here, if you had ever posted that maybe your the one I got the idea from, if so thanks.

I drove about 30 miles today with my 4 wheeler in the back, no squeaking. :cool:

7. May 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Yeah, probably was me. I've posted it several times. I figured if it was good enough for my mountain bike chain, then it was good enough for the leaf springs.

Products Discussed in

To Top