1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Tacoma Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mdiehl, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feb 26, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    mdiehl

mdiehl [OP] Member

Member:
    NE California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    helper springs
    Newbie here. I have some questions about my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 regular cab, 5spd manual:

The plastic/rubber black boot around the shifter is hokie. Keeps jumping out of the tabs on the plastic console, with help from my dog. Has anyone come up with a better idea..maybe like a little storage bin on the bottom (inside the console) or some type of cover for the shifter hole in the console?

I removed the rear view mirror for better visibility. How do your remove the plastic/stud that is attached to the windshield. Also, there is a decorative cross-hatch pattern at the top of the windshield on the inside. I assume this is not an antenna, as I have the regular stick type on the fender. How do you remove this?

The mudflaps look really cool, but they seem way too long to be practical for any serious offroading. Are there after-market ones that are shorter?

All in all, I really like this truck. It is my third Toyota pickup, the others being 2wd. (an ancient '72 Hilux-long deceased- and a '89 with 240K on it-still running)

2. Feb 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not sure about what you are asking about your shifter and stuff...Maybe a picture??

I would double check your local laws about the removing the rear view- The laws in FL are written such that if a cop could be a prick and ticket you for no rearview. I not sure about the cross hatch stuff...

As far as mudflaps : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/26538-how-rubber-mud-flaps.html

BTW- Welcome to the board!!

3. Feb 26, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea I'd deffinatly check the laws before removing the rear view.... honestly I don't see how removing it 'improves visibility' in the slightest... but whatever.

As for the patterning on the window... I'm not sure on the taco's but on my G35 it was actually metal... getting it off is probably not worth the time of day and would scratch the hell out of the windshield... It's there just to help fill the gap to cover for sun that the visors won't get. It's not a decorative feature.

4. Feb 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    mdiehl

mdiehl [OP] Member

Member:
    NE California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    helper springs
    No pics of the console/shifter boot, but maybe I can explain.
    5 spd manual, bench seat. The console is mounted on the transmission tunnel, has 2 cup holders on the pass. side and a trapezoidal opening for the shifter. The 'boot' is shaped like a hoop skirt, narrow at the top around the shifter handle, and flares out at the bottom to a trapezoidal shape. Sewn into the bottom of the boot is a continuous springy rod which mates into 4 clips on the inside top of the console. This keeps the boot off the transmission tunnel and up tight (?) against the console top rim. It doesn't work very well and pops off the clips easily and the whole boot drops down.
    OK that should explain the problem. My question is: Has someone has come up with a better boot, or possibly a tray that would provide some extra storage in the console "well" that had a boot incorporated into it?

On the rear view mirror, I like to have better visibility--not just of the road, but the surrounding scenery. At well over six feet, the rear view mirror obstructed my view, so I removed it. I don't need it anyway because the truck has outside mirrors on each door. After removing the mirror, the plastic mounting plate and metal stud is still attached to the windshield, presumably with some rear view mirror adhesive. I would like to remove the mounting plate/stud as well. Does anyone know how?

The cross hatch at the top of the windshield is no big deal, but I just can't see what purpose it has.

Thanks for the tip on the mudflaps. Has anyone had problems or clearance issues with the stock originals when off road?

5. Feb 26, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Those hard plastic mudflaps aren't made for off roading. Real off roading that is. You'll tear em off. Something removable would probably be best or at least some rubber ones.

6. Feb 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think from what you have said about the trans boot- I'd use some super glue or something. Putting a storage space near or in the boot section of the shifter sounds dangerous.

Cosign on taking the mirror out to view scenery...If you are driving- you should be driving not sightseeing. I was kind of expecting something like that...Not safe(and my guess is not legal either). and I'm not going to add suggestions for how to continue. Sorry.

Yes the stock flaps drag and pop off road.

Good luck finding the other answers you want...

To Top