1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 tacoma tpms sensor malfunctioning

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by traviskx, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Aug 25, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    traviskx

traviskx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner 2WD 5SPD
    n/a
    I just aired up all the tires to 29Psi, And reset the tpms light. I held button and it flashed, but it came right back. What am i doing wrong?

2. Aug 25, 2019 at 9:31 AM
    JC15Taco

JC15Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SK, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD DCLB
    Original sensors? if so, batteries likely giving up.
    Jeff

PzTank likes this.
  3. Aug 25, 2019 at 9:44 AM
    JohnT43

JohnT43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Radio
    Spare?

303tacoma likes this.
  4. Aug 25, 2019 at 9:44 AM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    Im not sure. I am not the original Owner. It most likely is though. So it's just batteries that operate the Sensor? Im pretty ignorant to how this works. Ive driven shitty cars for most of my life.

5. Aug 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    JC15Taco

JC15Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SK, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD DCLB
    Yup, battery powered and they have a shelf-life. Your '06 may have a sensor in the spare as well (or supposed to), as said above check that too.
    My '15 has no sensor in the spare.
    Jeff

6. Aug 25, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    303tacoma

303tacoma Bad Karma is a Bitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Sw Denver Concrete Jungle
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD AC 4th gen Rav4 Platinum
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    Is the light flashing or solid?
    If solid sometimes you have to drive a little for it to go off, also like mentioned check your spare.
    There are a few you tubes on how to reset if you don’t have manual.
    I think the last year for sensors in the spare was 09:notsure:

JC15Taco likes this.
  7. Aug 25, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    The light is solid. I havent driven it around yet as im trying to narrow down my throttle body stuck slightly open first.

The spare tire on the bottom can be getting a signal to the tps too? I havent aired that one. How would that work?

8. Aug 25, 2019 at 4:11 PM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    ICONS Front & extended Rears DAKARS LR UCAS Wheelers Super Bumps F/R Homersoshi & Bumper insert, Ultra Gauge, Wet Okole seat covers, AFE air filter, Truxedo tonneau cover, LED White Cluster swap by yosh2000, Audio upgrade, ECGS Bushing, rcbs204 Lighted 4x4switch, Bullaculla trailer harness relocate bracket SOS Concepts IFS skid & sliders Anti- Dark RedLine Hood Struts Matt Gecko Bed Lights BHLM Depo Tailights Fog light anytime mod ABS cancel mod Rear diff breather mod Brake light 35watt mod Relentless u bolt flip Mobtown Recovery Bar Sound deadener doors rear wall
    It works the same as the other 4
    If it’s low it’ll show up on your dash..
    Most likely it’s mounted stem up so you’ll have to lower it to check it.
    PIA
    Edit: I always air the spare up a few more psi just so I don’t have to hassle with it or you could remount it stem side down if you want.
    Also I set my TPMS for a few psi lower than what I’m actually running ( I set mine for 29psi, but I run my tires at 32 fr/30 r)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  9. Aug 25, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    I just aired up the spare to 29. It was low, But light still didnt go away. tried resetting too with the button. Luckily it was mounted stem down So i could see.

Based on your response, I guess our TPMS's are adjustable? not automatic

10. Aug 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    Yes
    Do you happen to have your manual?

11. Aug 25, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    Here just in case you don’t
    I’m bored anyway :rofl:image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

D2. and JC15Taco like this.
  12. Aug 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    Thank you, I don't have the owners manual sadly. I did everything right except wait a few minutes. I waited a few seconds Lol. Ill try it again.

Edit: waited 10 mins no dice.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    JC15Taco and 303tacoma like this.
  13. Aug 25, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    fb40dash5

fb40dash5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    People's Republic of MD
    Vehicle:
    11 V6 AC 4x4
    Odds are one or more sensors have a dead battery... 11 years would be impressive for them to still be factory, or a bit disappointing (normal is like 7 years) if they've been replaced already... although if they were, who knows what might have been installed, there's some real cheap ones out there.

If it's not a freak anomaly like one dying in a year or 2, my opinion is might as well do them all, it's more physical installation, but unless someone is manually programming the new ID(s) (almost no one does, they use a tool that reads the IDs and programs them in) it's the same amount of work to change 1 or 5 in the module.

I replaced mine with VDOs, mostly since they were what I could get on short notice that were quality & reasonably priced. I swapped wheels & didn't know I'd be needing new ones to swap from steelies, if I had I probably would've bought Denso or even Autel sensors online for cheap. The VDOs work (although they're not even a year old yet) but the ones for 2nd gens happen to also be a multi-application sensor that can be programmed to work in like 70% of applications, and required borrowing a better programmer than the cheap Autel I left at my old shop... just a heads up if you decide to buy them and have someone do the install, ask if they have a tool that'll do VDO/Continental unlock mode.

Might as well start looking for a shop to do it at this point unless you're planning to buy a programming device, and break the bead(s) yourself to install them, the same tool used to program them can also tell which one(s) is/are dead, if you're inclined to only replace the dead one(s).

303tacoma likes this.
  14. Aug 25, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    303tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rebecca
    Vehicle:
    Bummer
    Could always put a piece of electrical tape over the light:D
    Or get new sensors

15. Aug 25, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    At 30$ a piece for the sensors.. I think i just might LOL

Never needed it before..

edit: nvm i can find set of 4 oem for $65, but still. That is going to be last on my list.

303tacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Aug 26, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    studunk1

studunk1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stu
    jeff city, MO
    Vehicle:
    13 Access Cab sr5
    running boards, bug deflector, window deflectors, tail gate liner, bed mat
    About 1988 the check engine lite came on on my 1979 Cadillac. Checked everything, everything OK, never had a check engine lite before so slapped a piece of black tape over it and drove the Cad another 100K.......so I would think covering up the lite is certainly an option.
    About your spare.....I turned mine upside down also, valve on the bottom so easy to check tire pressure.....BUT my advice to you is to be sure the valve is as close to the rear end pumpkin as possible so that the pumpkin helps protect the valve from any road damage.

17. Aug 26, 2019 at 10:16 PM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    Forgot to edit this thread. Bought a set of tires for the truck today and light went off. Lucky me!

303tacoma likes this.
  18. Aug 27, 2019 at 5:38 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I honestly think your real problem was 29 PSI. That is right at the minimum needed. I keep 35-40 PSI in the tires on my Tacoma depending on the tires and anticipated loads.

On an 11 year old truck I'd have bought new sensors and had them installed when I bought new tires.. The batteries are close to worn out and any tire store would have installed them free when they were mounting new tires. If you have to replace them now it will be $50-$75 for them to break down the tires and install them on top of the cost of buying them.

My 2007 has 200,000 miles on it and they are still working, but I know I'm due any day for the battery to die in one of them. You can find new sensors on the internet for as little as $15 each although closer to $30 seems more common. Remember to buy 5, your truck has one in the spare, but not all years do.

You COULD ignore the light or disable it, but spending $120-$150 every 10-12 years on these things isn't going to break the bank, and they might just save your life. Or the lives of passengers and some other driver on the road. They are not intended to replace an air gauge. You still have to check the pressure regularly. What they are designed to do is warn the driver of a sudden deflation while driving at speed.

TWICE since driving a vehicle with a TPMS I've had the light come on while doing 70 MPH on an interstate. Both times I was able to get the vehicle stopped and on the shoulder of the road before the tires were completely flat. Both times the tires were completely flat in less than 60 seconds after the light came on. Both times I ran over debris in the road that punctured the tire with a sizeable hole. Without the TPMS system I'd have had a tire failure while driving 70 mph.

Yea, they made cars without them for years. Lots of people died due to tires failing at high speed years ago too.

traviskx[OP] and Lester Lugnut like this.
  19. Aug 27, 2019 at 9:23 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    303tacoma likes this.
  20. Aug 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM
    traviskx

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Apple Valley , CA
    Vehicle:
    n/a
    I see where you're coming from- I did have 29 in it, and americas tire just put in 35. Idk if that is correlated, but my tires were bald anyway.. Im just going to see how long the sensors last I guess. Not going to dismount them now ofc

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top