1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Tacoma will not shift into 4 wheel low

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Ducklips, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Sep 2, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    Ducklips

Ducklips [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 standard cab base model
    None
    New here. Looking for a little help. I have a 2008 Tacoma 4x base model 2.7 stick shift with dial 4x4. The truck has 57,000 miles on it. I cannot get truck to shift into 4 wheel low. It will beep and flash but not engage. I tapped on actuator and that only made 4 wheel high quit working so I put a brand new Toyota actuator on it and now 4 wheel high works fine but low still will not engage. Truck in neutral, clutch to floor, tried multiple times, will not engage. when I turn switch to go into high I hear click from under dash at control module, but when trying to go into low, only beeping and flashing, no click like it is trying to engage. I am at a loss and would appreciate any insight on this matter. Thank you

2. Sep 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
  3. Sep 2, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Ducklips

Ducklips [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yes.
    I guess I'm curious if I should hear something click under dash like I do when shifting into 4 wheel high. As soon as I switch to 4 wheel low it just starts beeping and flashing, but I hear nothing trying to engage.

4. Sep 3, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
  5. Sep 3, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    HCJ

HCJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia --> Texas
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco with not enough miles
    I have a 2005 6 spd and my truck has to be in 1st to engage 4 high and low. I take it out of gear, press clutch in and put truck into 1st with clutch still down and turn the dial into gear. Maybe this will help

6. Sep 3, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    Ducklips

Ducklips [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Thanks for all the input. I will try putting in into 1st gear tomorrow. Azreb I appreciate all the links. I am starting to think I need to take it to dealer to at least see if they can diagnose the issue. I'm not scared of working on it myself but I don't want to throw money at it especially if it is electrical in nature. Just a little peved that a truck with 57,000 miles is having any issue with 4 wheel drive system. I am the second owner, the first being an old fellow who drove it around his farm. He kept every record of anything, and I mean everything he did to truck which mainly consisted of oil changes and a new set of tires. 57,000 miles not a lot of things should be needed. I have a 2009 4 runner with 102,000 with never an issue and a 2002 Rav 4 with 189,000 AWD only routine maintenance. I am a Toyota fan but fairly disappointed with this issue. If this is a common issue which it seems to be,Toyota should do the right thing and recall and redesign a stouter part to alleviate this issue.

7. Dec 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    Toy Taco Turd Tom

Toy Taco Turd Tom Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 2006 Tundra
    2011 2.7 4x4 5 speed standard. I have to put all 300lbs of my big ass into the clutch pedal and smash it into the carpet to get the four low to work otherwise it will ding at me with the flashing 4x4 and stay in four high and the same goes when trying to get back out of it, I once drove 40 plus miles in four low because I couldn't get it back to high range and I was tired of messing with it but after I shut it down at home and re started it went right away into two high like I had selected with the dial. I have pulled the start relay and jumpered it so that I don't have to push the clutch or clutch cancel switch to start the engine so now I need to figure out how to adjust that pesky clutch pedal switch to ease my High Low range pain. Might just tape a penny to the clutch pedal tab that contacts the switch.

Products Discussed in

To Top