1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009-2010 tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JustTaco, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.

A-Trac is a beast!!!

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    Good write up, but wondering...with my 2009 it usually never goes into
    L4 without rolling a bit backward or forward. How did you get yours in
    L4 while being stuck?...Maybe you don't have this problem?
    Has anyone else? I bought mine new and the dealer told me it
    was normal. Is this a problem with my truck?

btw. I really don't like that little L4 knob, sure wish they had
    left the manual lever.

Thanks,
    Paul

3. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i say buy the newest rig possible. i got a killer deal on my 06. cheap, low miles. i would have bought any 4x4 off road, anyways.

mine is a simple gardening, lumber yard, motorcycle moving, camping, and hard core hunting vehicle. mine does it all for me. the bonus of buying used and paying cash..was an option too attractive to ignore.

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    2009-2010 are electronic Christmas trees.

and that is never good for longevity... :)

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    tony92629

tony92629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma Prerunner
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    The 2000 to 2004 are a different deal - The 2005 through 2010 are pretty much the same style and engine and components - each year Toyota will add "features" or upgrades - but are basicly the base model same. I have a 2010 White short bed, double cab TRD sport and love it. Upgraded to 5100 all the way around set on 2.5 in front and added a 1 1/2 inch block to level it. I keep looking for problems based on all the hype. The dealer was a little shady - buying a new car, you know how that can be. Free oil changes for life - The service for the first 5000 miles is $72.00 and it includes the free oil change - what a rip off. I hear/feel a little jump at times in the tranny/engine - but I thinks its more me than a real problem. Bought it for $25,000 out the door.

6. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Check out the videos and data at this link:

>A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD explained: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html

The Tundra with 3 tires on rollers and one front tire blocked is really impressive... in L4 (with or without the rear locker on) the 2-3 tires just spin and there's no forward movement... Press the A-TRAC button and the one tire that is on the ground (but blocked) climbs over the block and pulls the truck forward!

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I quoted the wrong part of Ross' post.

Here you go:

And now my post:

And now my response of your response:

"Go suck it"

Now a logical explanation to my first post:

Ross' post may have been construed as an inherent problem with the '09-'10 model year Tacoma trucks for which I was merely pointing out the fact that these features are standard on most automobiles manufactured today.

8. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Based on what evidence? 05-08 are not that much different between 09-10 electronically. It'd be more logical if you were comparing T-100 vs the new tacomas.

Rearview camera can be easily replaced and even if it's out, it doesn't affect the car from running. Also, LED lights last longer than regular bulbs.

9. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Based on the fact of owning multiple cars and troubleshooting even more.
    Electronics are good within the factory warranty afterwords they are very costly to repair and hard to troubleshoot. Old electronics where based on simple switches or heavy duty transistors. Were Easy to fix replace even on the trail, new systems can leave you stranded just because sensor wire is loose.
    E-lockers can be engaged with no power, what happens when the cable gets ripped out of your wheel sensor?
    I had tree branch breaking my front elocker plug. Took 15 minutes to lock it with screwdriver. If that was electronic system and tree branch ripped wheel sensor that would be the end. Unplug your wheel sensors ans see if you still can crawl through the woods like that.

Trucks do not supposed to be fun to drive and comfortable, they supposed to be rugged and dependable.
    Tacoma does not supposed to be grocery getter for soccer moms. Thats what Subaru foresters are.
    Its shame that Toyota installed probably $2000 of electronics in the thing but skipped on $20 of extra paint.
    But again they trying to appeal to the crowd that uses trucks for shopping at the mall.
    :rolleyes:

10. Jun 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    If you were thinking of an access cab the seat configuration is different in the rear,some have been finding away to swap.The rear fold over deck is something I cant live with out.

11. Jun 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    :yay: Another champion on VSC!

I too have been saved by VSC in November 2009. It saved me from a certain rollover. I am all too grateful!

I am inclined to agree that there have only been a number of small circuits added to the Tacoma in 2009.

1. Rear view Camera
    2. Defroster logic
    3. Brake system was changed
    4. LSD rear end was discontinued.
    5. Bluetooth system was added

E-lockers can be engaged with a 9-volt battery if the battery terminals are directly applied to the actuator leads in an emergency self rescue situation.

The system has fail safes to protect the truck and the occupants.

12. Jun 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not normally a strict picker of grammatical nits, but...seriously?

13. Jun 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    So that happened to you on your 07? I'm not talking about electronics vs old school. This thread is about 05-08 vs 09-10. How exactly are you claiming that 05-08 are a better choice?

14. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'm not trying to be a douche, but you come off rather strongly here. You might offend quite a few people who don't use their truck primarily for off roading but still enjoy it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I wouldn't have bought my truck if it didn't ride as comfortable as it does. I don't "off road" very much, but I tow my toys, and I use the truck for camping and hauling. But then again, I guess I should have got a Forester that could do all that for me.

And I'd be interested in some real evidence that shows that cars today are less reliable due to electronics. My experience is that it's EASIER to replace electrical components on a new car than an old one.

15. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I agree BUTtry and find a and new & affordable 4x4 with out all that electronic stuff.... I remember when.... Once (upon a time) had a broken rear diff. we were was able to disconect the drive shaft from the rear end, put the vehicle in 4x and it ran in "front wheel, drive" this got us out of a serious cluster f**k, with 3 of the team wounded and not having the means to sustainably repel inbound forces (in that decade we could not call in for the type of percison outside op area support that you can now).

Make do with what you can get.

16. Jun 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    NAYo2002

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    You still can go FWD with the new Tacomas... someone on this board broke his U-joint and that's exactly what he did to get home.

Also, that's a pretty badass combat 4x4 story ;)

17. Jun 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    Thats good to know. I was led to belive with the new electrionic 4x4 that the sensors wold not allow shifting into 4x with damage to the 2x drive train.

18. Jun 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    WHAT TACO?

WHAT TACO? Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    questions for you to consider. Main purpose of the truck? Off roading yes/no/maybe one day. automatic or manual? color? and cost? i went new because of what i wanted and cost differences. my only complaints with the 09-10 access cabs are the rear seats and the F-ing sub that comes with the sport

19. Jun 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Maybe his money are kind of tight right now. There will be no reason not to get a newer taco. Much better.
    Take care
    vbibi:(

20. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Nope my 07 is the old fashion way, however if you want examples of electronics acting up then the only thing you need to do is search. There is already 100's of threads talking about diffferent electronic gizmos playing by own rules. From 4wd not engaging to VSC kicking in out for no reason. Search 4runner forums, Lexus and FJcruiser forums if you feel that was not enough for you
    Simple less electronics = less ways to fail
    Also check the price of various components used in traction system and compare the price to 07
    ABS system price difference is $1000
    Brake booster price difference is $600
    There is no price on those special sensors but I heard they are $800 a pop :eek:
    and I though old fashion ABS sensor costing 100 was a lot :rolleyes:
    IMO I would never get used 09+ won't get new one either. .

Not trying to offend anybody just stating my opinion.
    So what you are telling me is you dont off road much therefore you don't need dependable truck?
    I bought my truck to be dependable even if it does not see much off road. I could care less about comfort, I don't expect from the truck any comforts. My minivan is comfortable and my truck job is to tow the minivan to dealership when another electronic gadget fails.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top