1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 ATRAC Question...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Isthatahemi, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    ok... ?

specification on toyota.ca english site on tacoma 2.7L 4X4:

4WD Part Time, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Auto Limited Slip Rear Differential, 2-Speed Transfer Case, Automatic Disconnecting Differential, One-Touch 4WD, Engine Undercover

2. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    Just because toyota canada's generic little diagram say atrac under all models, doesn't mean you have it. it is part of the TRD-OR package ONLY

Our trucks have TRAC

3. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Well anyway, TRAC or ATRAC, it makes all my 4 wheels grab in 4HI, that's all I want :)

4. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    ttylerr

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
  5. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    All optional equipment is listed in red. Toyota canada has informed my via Email that my truck has ATRAC, they are going to follow up with more info...

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/38/wo/Home.Vehicles.Go.Tacoma-JQmkOGP1wJ54vv2vbJLiUg/25.7?v131040e%2ehtml

All 4X4's in Canada are supposed to have it! My window sticker says I have it. The question remains, how is it differant than the US trucks. And how does it function.....And why no switch. It was one of the advertised changes for 2009 on the Taco.

6. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    ttylerr

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    theres no switch because you dont have it... lol *facepalm*

7. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    You're a jackass.....quit screwing up the thread, you have no idea what you're saying

Dear ***********

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

As previously advised, our system indicates that all 4x4 models of the 2009 Tacoma are equipped with Active Traction Control, or A-TRAC. Page 174 of the 2009 Tacomas Owners Manual shows the location of the A-TRAC switch, as well as additional information regarding the operation of said system. As the Customer Interaction Centre is not equipped to provide the technical information that you require, it will be necessary for you to discuss your inquiry with the Service Manager at a Toyota dealership. Should they require technical assistance, they have access to a special technical assistance service.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Krista Patterson
    Customer Interaction Centre
    Toyota Canada Inc.

8. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    ttylerr

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    yeha, good luck with that

ever heard of 'pass the buck'
    you are the buck
    good with luck with your revolving door search for a switch/system that simply does not come with our model truck

they just looked on the same incorrect website that you looked at

again, good luck, let me know how it goes.

ps, i think i made a poem

9. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Ah yes, random internet jibroni knows better than Toyota.

10. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    ttylerr

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    again, let me know when you get your magic button :)

11. Aug 20, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock

So where does it say the switch is?

12. Aug 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This thread is immensely entertaining.

13. Aug 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    On US models TDR OFF ROAD only. A-TRAC works in 4L only, and only through manual switch operation.
    A-TRAC is a form of traction control, only it does not reduce trottle, it only apllies brake force to help stop wheel spin.

14. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I think a few of you are missing the point.....For some of us, ATRAC was an important selling feature. Toyota has put in writing, on the window sticker of my truck, and in correspondence via Email, that my truck has ATRAC. If it in fact doesn't, they have obligated themselves to provide me the opportunity to aquire this feature. It is reasonable to expect more than 2 driven wheels in 4L, when that is what they are saying the truck has. And for all you luddites, it is likely that ATRAC is just a reflash away.....Buybacks have been initiated in the past for horsepower claims not met, and even falsly reading tachometers, when these specs were part of the advertising for said vehicles.
    As well, I had no reason to doubt this feature was not on my truck when I picked it up.....as it was printed on the sticker....And the dealer said that the canadian models where different (which is true...), and did not have the switch. This is also reasonable, because why is there even a switch? It should activate in 4L all the time.

15. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Ha! Luddites!

I think they offer the switch for disablement in the event that a wheel (or two) become suspended off the ground. Then when people go to the locker, they won't have A-TRAC/Auto-LSD dicking up the brake pads on the suspended wheel. Theoretically they may have automated the process to when the locker goes on, traction control systems go off. I'm not at all sure that they haven't. But this is the most plausible explanation to my mind.

16. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    My manual states it should turned off if/when the brakes start to overheat. I have had to turn mine off when going through a few inches of water because of the immense vibration of the wet brakes being actuated. I shut it off and just the used locker as needed. I'm guessing the Canadian models don't have the "ATRAC" light on the dash when it is engaged.

17. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    That makes sense, for the models with lockers, so it would also make sense for some models to not have the switch. As well, ATRAC would be most useful when 1 or 2 wheels are in the air, otherwise you're stuck. Same deal with not having the light. I would not be surprised if Toyota replies that the system functions with no switch/no light on canadian trucks. When they reply, i will post it!

Our trucks also have no maintenance reminder light, and DRLs....

18. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    For your reading pleasure.... 9 lines down, left column...

window sticker.jpg

19. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Isthatahemi why don't you go read my post? I made a lot of experiments with my 4cyl 4x4 and my ATRAC. I've explained how youe canadian version works. Difference is that you will have the ABShelping for traction in 4HI and nothing in 4LO. And no switch.

20. Aug 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

I'm given to understand that the opposite is the case - traction control attempts to divert more power to the wheels it senses are slipping in order for them to regain grip. In the case of a suspended wheel, this usually means all the power goes there and none to the wheels that are grounded as the system pointlessly attempts to get traction re-established on the suspended wheel.

That's the whole point of the locker in the first place - force both wheels to rotate at an identical rate, thus allowing the grounded wheel to push you free without traction control getting in the way.

Heh, the mileage ratings freaked me out before I remembered that Canada uses those crazy metric units.

Products Discussed in

To Top