1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Gray with black badges??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, May 9, 2009.

1. May 9, 2009 at 1:46 AM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    Searched through some great threads (with some nice black badging mods) however can not find anyone with a 2009 magnetic gray with black badges.

Anyone here have a photo of black on gray badging and if not do you think it would look better? I feel comfortable enough to attempt this mod however if it is not going to show up very well then it would not be worth the effort. The white trucks with black badging simply looks awesome to me as well as the silver Tacos with black badges.....not too sure about the new gray color though.

2. May 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    I attempted to paint my badges black but after debadging, I decided the truck looked really good without badges and decided to keep it that way.

3. May 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I really like the look of black badges on other trucks however ,like yourself, once I get them off I may like that look as well. I am thinking of putting some black tape over the badges and looking at them from a distance just to get an idea of how the black and gray looks together.

I figure I should go ahead and do this now as the truck is still new and should not be too hard to remove the badges. I will probably go with a semi-gloss or even a flat black with a few coats of clear.

4. May 9, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    That's a pretty good idea. Just throw some electrical tape over it, it will at least give you an idea.

5. May 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    You should black them out!!! You wont be sorry, I promise!!!;)

6. May 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Ok I have the Fusion paint in black satin finish as well as a can of clearcoat with 3m double sided mounting tape. The only thing I could not find was the adhesion helper stuff and I am not sure if I should try this without it.

The fusion states that it needs no sanding nor priming however if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. There is another thread I read made by member Rocketball and he did not use the adhesion stuff.....his badges look amazing regardless.

So can anyone say if the fusion paint is really that good and if I do not use the adhesion promoter would it most likely make any difference.....I am not the most patient person and I really wanted to try this tonight. If I have to use the adhesion stuff I would end up waiting until later this week.

7. May 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    matt45648

matt45648 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Used fusion on my bhlm, looks good. Didnt scuff or use promoter

8. May 10, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I use the Krylon Fusion gloss, but I did sand the surfaces with 400 wet/dry sandpaper first. I looked for the adhesion promoter but could not find it.

Even though the can says no sanding, I wanted to do whatever I could to make sure the paint job would last.

Right now my badges look great, but looking back I'm already second guessing my decision on not priming and not clear coating.

We'll see how it goes.

BTW, If you're going to clear coat, use flat, not semi-gloss.

9. May 10, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I am painting mine same as the truck (magnetic gray). Trying to source a local place to get custom color-matched spray cans.

10. May 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Check online too. I know you can buy some in spray cans that are already color-matched. I got a couple cans of SW off of ebay. I have yet to use them though. Just got them just in case.;)

11. May 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I got mine on ebay too. I checked around on line, but the seller on ebay the cheaspest I found when buying multiple cans.

Just do a search on ebay for your paint code.

I bought 3 cans and it worked out to $22.00 a can including shipping.

12. May 10, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Did the color match pretty good with the truck?

13. May 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Well I decided to wait until later this week as I did not have any of the adhesion promoter and do not want to rush this through.

If this works out pretty good for me I will surely look into buying some spray paint that mayches my paint code. I am really not liking my chrome grill and if I can find the balls to do it I may try that later.

I really like my gray color however after looking at so many white Tacos with the white/black theme I am beginning to wish I had bought a white truck. If done correctly the white with black accents really look awesome and I have seen many nice trucks on this site.

14. May 11, 2009 at 2:06 AM
    KingRama4

KingRama4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    robocop...i feel you man! i had changed my mind last minute switching from white to mag gray. i sorta regret not getting white too but there's times i look at my truck n it just looks bad ass as well. i had just painted my front emblem this past weekend. i used that adhesion promoter stuff too. not sure if you have em in alabama but i got the adhsn prmtr at a place called autozone. the emblem looks pretty cool now. i'll try to post pics later. it makes me wanna do the bhlm to make everything darker even though it already has the smoked headlights; it doesn't look dark enough.

15. May 11, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    The color is very very close, but Speedway Blue is a difficult color to match.

16. May 11, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    mine is magnetic gray, probably even harder to match because of the flake.

I'll first go see a few local paint shops and try them. I'll probably have to clear coat over.

17. May 11, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I think a glossy gun-metal finish would look better than black with the magnetic gray paint job. It would also fit in well with the smoked headlight trim.

18. May 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Mag gray is an awesome color! White is good to but then there would be to many white/black themed trucks out there!! Haha!!:D

19. May 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    WW Firefighter yours was one of the first white trucks I saw on a search that is really very well done. It has just enough black accents to not look overdone yet still have that killer contrasting look.....I really like the way you have it all put together. The BHLM and painted eyelids just looks sweet and the offset of the tires keeps a functional look without being way too high.....just a sweet ass truck I believe. I also really like a truck owned by fellow member T-Rev (I think that was his name) that is set up pretty nice as well.

So as much as I like your truck it is bitter sweet as it has made me now second guess my 28k I paid for my new gray truck....kind of wish I never saw it really as I lusted after the white version due to the sweetness of your Taco....:D

Actually I am thinking very hard on a BHLM for my truck and really want a set of painted gray eyelids as well. I have searched every forum I can think of and can not find a photo of this set up. Being a gray color already I am not sure if these mods would have the same appeal as the white trucks do thus my need to really see a photo of a similiar set up.

With the gray looking to be a very popular color for 2009 I assume it is only a matter of time before other members have a set up for me to look at. This is cool with me as I just spent a few hundred on the Okoles and need to wait a while anyway before I get the modding fever.

20. May 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I also can not remember what truck it was however I saw a thread where the owner had the bottom grill section blacked out....may have been Sockmonkey as I think it was a vinyl graphic. It gave the truck a very cool looking "face" almost as if it were very mean looking. Again not sure what truck it was but it looked awesome against that white.

I really would like to try that also however nothing seems to contrast that much against the gray color. I took a black towel and taped it over my bottom grill section and stood back and looked at it. It really just did not do anything for me and had no contrast so I figured a black bottom section would be a waste of cash on a gray truck.

To Top