1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 rear view camera?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rustyhook54, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Apr 16, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    Rustyhook54

Rustyhook54 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma completely stock 4.0 6-speed 4x4
    hey guys new to the forum, I just bought a 2009 tacoma with the rear view camera in the tailgate from presumably the factory, but the mirror with the screen isn’t in the truck. My question is, is the wiring harness pre wired from the factory under the headliner? I found a mirror with the screen in it for 100 bucks at a junk yard. Would I be able to just plug it into the factory harness?

First Toyota so any help would be great!

2. Apr 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    Is the harness at the tailgate already wired to the camera? If that part is already there and connected I’d venture to GUESS that the mirror harness is there. What model (trim) package does your truck have? Mine is TRD off-road and that’s how it came equipped. Another option would be to contact your dealer with the VIN and they can give you more information. I’d research it a bit before spending the $100 unless that amount isn’t a big impact to you.

3. Apr 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    Rustyhook54

Rustyhook54 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma completely stock 4.0 6-speed 4x4
    Not positive on the wiring harnesses for the camera,but there’s a few wires coming out of the bottom of the tailgate similar to the fords. I’ll have to take a look tomorrow to be certain though. I’m not positive on the trim level but it’s pretty basic. Has the center console in the back and electric windows but that’s about it. I’ve read before on another site that after 2009 they all came with them regardless of trim level but I’m hard pressed to believe that.

4. Apr 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    I’d actually believe it. A lot of options that cars market as features are actually mandated by DOT. Back up cameras or sensors along with tire pressure monitors fatal into this category. On mine the harness can be unplugged at the bottom of the tailgate do it can be removed. They even provide a plug that plugs into the harness to keep out debris or water when tailgate is removed. I just can’t say for sure since you don’t know the trim package. I’d guess it’s at least the SR5 but the dealer can tell you that too.

Products Discussed in

To Top