1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 SCORE Baja 1000

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 619Tacoma, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma [OP] Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Yeah, i'm not sure how much it goes for but i'm sure it's one hell of a deal. If i had the money, i would LOVE to get on a trophy truck and ride along. I've seen Pistol has been offering that "ride along" deal these couple past races.... If only he would finish the entire race though :anonymous:

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    It's an interesting option. Wonder what a seat in a Sportsman truck would fetch? :spy:

3. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    novakills

novakills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks
    bwhahahah. nice!

4. Nov 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    sumdumhick

sumdumhick New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Longbed Sport
    Gents,

Me and a buddy will be leaving from Arizona on the 18th, and would love to caravan with some fellow Taco owners. I anticipate we'll cross the border at Tecate, but that's flexible. We're planning to go watch the race from somewhere near Ensenada, maybe Erendria? I went down for the 2006 race, but am more or less a rookie, so any advice would be helpful.

We'll be in '06 Taco towing a small trailer.

We're just looking for a nice reasonably safe place to party and watch the race for a couple of days, then we're going to find a place to hang out and ride our own bikes for the following week - maybe venture over to San Felipe or further south...

anybody advice would be much appreciated, and if anybody wants to team up, so much the better!

5. Nov 4, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Me and a bunch of friends (guys and girls) will be heading down on the 19th to catch Contingency in Ensenada. After that, we're planning on camping out and watching the race somewhere not too far from Ensenada also. We're going to watch as the majority of them pass, then move to another spot where we'll watch them coming back towards Ensenada (We always do this) in the afternoon/all night. Then we're coming back on Saturday early afternoon.

I've been going to each Baja race for the past 2.5 years. This should be my 7th race i attend. We just camp out next to the race track and have never had any issues of anything getting jacked or anything like that.

6. Nov 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Are you wondering how much it would cost?? Or are you wondering how much you can charge??:p

7. Nov 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    sumdumhick

sumdumhick New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Longbed Sport
    Nice! Do you all plan ahead at all for your spot, or just head down and figure it out?

8. Nov 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    We plan ahead..
    Take a look at the map and figure about where you want to be. It seems like you already have an idea you want to be somewhere in the north-western part of the race course.
    Look at the map (http://score-international.com/races/1091/Tecate_SCORE_Baja_1000/2008.aspx)
    and figure out if you're going to stay in one spot and watch them as they go by or as they come back to Ensenada. Before we go, we already have a general location we want to be at. Once we arrive, we go into the track and keep going until we find a location we like. Sometimes we find spots where we know they're going to jump, straight aways they'll be hauling ass, curves/rocky etc means slower but more technical.

Just have a general idea where you want to be, then once you get there pick a good spot. You get to choose what type of racing you want to see. Fast, Technical, jumps, coming down mountains, up mountains.. It's all up to you which is what i love about it.

9. Nov 4, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    sumdumhick

sumdumhick New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Longbed Sport
    619 -

Thanks for the link to the map. It sounds like you have a killer plan. We'll be coming from Arizona, and it sounds like you all will be coming from San Diego, so we'd probably have trouble joining your caravan, plus we're thinking of going down on the 18th...but who knows? There will be only two of us and my dog, so we're thinking we definitely will be looking for safety in numbers.

Based on my last trip down there, and the little research that I've done, I was thinking like, near Ojos Negros or possibly Erendria...we'd definitely like to find some cool people who also like to drink beer and tear it up a little bit. We are even thinking about venturing into Ensenada on the night of the 18th or 19th (if we can figure out how we can keep our gear safe) and trying to cut a couple of single women out of the herd...probably a longshot at an event like this, but we're optimists!

You mentioned that you're going to try to catch Contingency - what's that all about?

Also, I have a cheap CB radio that I was thinking about hooking up this weekend for the race - do you think it would be handy to have?

10. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Safety in numbers is always a good idea. As of right now, i think we have like 10 people going (2 trucks, possibly 3). We will hopefully be leaving SD around 10-11am on the 19th and be in Ensenada until we get tired (usually 2-4 hrs) in Contingency. If you have never been to Contigency - You NEED to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqxJJvQAvDo - Nice video of Contingency.
    It's Tech inspection turned into a off road vehicle parade with LOTS of people and lots of shirt, videos, shows, and food vendors. You get to see the vehicles that will participate in the race before they get trashed. They all go down the street lined up until they reach the inspectors. Like the Video says, it's sort of a black party. If you've never been, you should go. BE CAREFUL though!! I don't want to scare you or anything but many people have their trucks broken into and shit jacked while they attend contingency, even bikes or entire trucks. I've never had any issues but i hear other people do. Don't leave ANYTHING of remote value in plain sight while at Contingency.

Ojos Negros is a good place to be since there will be a lot of people there and it's easy to get to. I think the 18th people will be out and about but they also have to get their rest for the race so idunno how it'll be. The 19th should probably be best because the teams that finish that day will be partying in Ensenada that night. People will be all over Ensenada waiting for the finishers. Getting some ladies in Ensenada should be no problem. Getting them to come back with you to your camp site- Long shot for sure.

I have a CB radio i'll be taking as well. If you have room, i'd suggest taking it. If you get lost or need help, I'm sure there will be lots of vehicles with CB's as well. Most use Race Radios though. I take mine mostly 'just in case'.

11. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    As you can tell by the novel i'm writing, I'm SUPER excited for this race!!

I can't wait for the 19th to get out of here and watch some Off Road racing.

Products Discussed in

To Top