1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 tsb?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mudduck, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    nd1979

nd1979 2nd Tacoma

Member:
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC TRD OR 4x4, Super White
    I went to Champion Toyota in Houston with TSB in hand and was told flat NO because they did not want to incur the cost, as an '09 is not covered. They gave me the 800 number to call after I persisted. Called the 800 and received a case number. We shall see. (I personally verified that I have the old numbered springs in the TSB). I am not happy.

2. Feb 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    ElevenTenths

ElevenTenths Voice of Reason

Member:
    So far only Canadian Tacomas have the updated 4 leafs (I'm guessing the mexican home market ones will also), NAS Tacomas still have three leaves for 09 and are not covered by the TSB as it stands now. That is why you have a yellow sticker on your driver door jamb reducing your payload. No word on when or if NAS Tacos will get the 4 leafs. The vast majority of US Tacos are air haulers and would probably spill their Red Bull if they got a rear suspension with a little more starch in it.
    As far as toyota is concerned, this falls under "specifications may change without notice".

3. Feb 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    i just got an 09 access cab offroad package and i have 3 leafs bought on 02/15/09

4. Feb 18, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Theres always new TSB's coming out so check in often

5. Feb 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    2009 here.
    Banging into the bump stops terribly while towing a load well under max. Feels pretty unsafe with the load jouncing around, wound up having to turn back and not retrieve my boat from winter storage for some needed TLC. I previously towed it with a 4 runner and a Land Rover both of which are rated lower than the Tacoma.
    I am in the process of having my dealer look into this TSB. So far they have been very helpful. I am told the proper springs are on order!
    Reading some others' experiences makes one wonder though.

6. Feb 28, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    BuffaloTaco

BuffaloTaco Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    09 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5 4.0L V6 5 speed Auto
    Huskey Floor Liners front & rear, Toyota bed mat, backup camera, shorty antenna, tailgate mod
    I have a 2009 Tacoma Double Bed 4x4. The Leaf Spring TSB was installed yesterday. I did not get hassled from the dealer, and I followed the logic about harsh ride complaints that I read on the TW posts. I had approximately 1000 miles on the truck when the TSB was performed. Here's some pics:

Pre-Leaf Spring TSB:
    [​IMG]

Post-Leaf Spring TSB:
    [​IMG]

Picture of the New 4-Leaf Spring:
    [​IMG]

I prefer the way the truck rides with the new leaf springs. I loaded the bed with stuff for my son at college and it did not bottom out on the trip.

In addition - I changed the oil and went with synthetic (Mobil 1) which eliminated the engine "tick" noise. Again - from tips I gained after browsing TW.

My thanks to all of the members who post great ideas and insight.

7. Feb 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    That's great that you've put up photos to show the difference in heights. I currently have 1" blocks in the rear (height is 36 7/8 on drivers 37 on pass) I'm assuming a non level ground. I'll be getting my TSB done this next week (dealer's ordering the parts now) and don't expect a height change, I originally was going to increase my front from 1.75" to 2.5" but feel the front will then be taller than the rear. Anyways, your photos will help people see the differences in pre and post. Great job posting pics again!

Rob

8. Feb 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 Double Cab 4x4 Sr5 Off-Road
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    I have an 09 dcor that I got in December 08 and I also have the old leafs. It made me wonder why there was a sticker on my door frame saying the truck had a diminished load capacity. This explains it all. I am taking my truck in to Right Toyota in Phoenix on thursday to get this looked at and to get my subwoofer fixed.

I have the same sub problem where is makes a thundering noise although my dealership is sure that the amp to the sub is blown.

Tommytaco09 did they fix you subwoofer problem/ what did it end up being?

9. Feb 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

Please call Toyota and report a "harsh ride when the bed is loaded". It is very easy to do and only takes a couple minutes. They will open a "case" for you and it will help your fight to get the work completed. Most dealers are not doing it on the 2009s.

The more people that call it in and report a problem, the sooner the 2009's will be added to the TSB.

TOYOTA: 800.331.4331

10. Feb 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 Double Cab 4x4 Sr5 Off-Road
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    Yeah i called toyota already and they scheduled me an appointment. Hopefully that means they will do the tsb for me. we shall see though.

11. Mar 1, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    Flounder

Flounder Member

Member:
    So even brand new ones are coming with 3 instead of 4? I have an 09 headed my way on a train somewhere that just rolled out of the factory. Can I expect this to be an issue?

12. Mar 1, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    it just amazes me that they continue to use the weak, 3 leaf pack and say it's now "upgraded"
    it took us 08'ers a few months of bitch$ng to get it done
    have fun and as a hint - have people with 09, who have had it done, send you a copy of the service order -
    that's what did the trick for me and I live 5 miles from Toyota headquarters and was ready to knock on their front door if they didn't fix it !

13. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    Hydrabyte

Hydrabyte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    1987 4Runner
    I called Toyota's 800 number and received a case # and should expect 3 day turnaround time from the stealership where I bought it / DEC_09. Well 4 business days passed, nada. Called Toyo back again and complained, next day I get a VM (on the ball they are). So 2 weeks have passed of exchanging phone calls, no results. Took the newest TSB to another dealer yesterday, their inspection concluded the FRONT Billy's were OK, just the rear springs and billy's needed replacement - parts on order... BTW 2009, Prerunner 2x4

14. Mar 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DBL TRD Offroad
    3" Lift: Front - OME 885 Springs with N140S, Toytec 1/2" Spacer; Rear - TSB Leafs with Toytec TSB AAL and OME N182S. Total Chaos UCA's, Access Tonnaeu Cover, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Polished Aluminum Bull Bar, Bed Mat.
    Just got off the phone with my local service manager. He called HQ in CA and was referred from to the regional service manager who covers all warranty issues in the intermountain west. That guy to the local service manager that the 09 is not covered in this TSB and because they are cracking down during hard times economically, they simply can not allow for this exception. As a result, the service manager said I needed to hold out until I the TSB included 09. Interesting because my part numbers and VSD both match that in the TSB bulletin, but b/c my local service manager couldnt get guarantee from the higher level that they would get reimbursed, he can't get the parts and put the local dealership on the line. I said ok. I asked if I upgraded to an AAL with a OME 3" Lift, would that preclude me from getting the updated springs in the future, and he said no.

15. Mar 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    This is useful, it'll definitely help when I give the inspection to mine the day I buy one.

8 days to Mazda inspection!!! I'm making a huge list.:p

16. Mar 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Thanks for the info, docuw. It makes sense that they need to cut back on repair expenses in this economy but it doesn't make sense that they don't fix this during assembly. Why do it on Canadian models but not on US models?

I understand their research shows that more American's prefer the 'car-like' ride over the ability to haul. But they are probably receiving hundreds of complaints over the rear suspension being too soft. I wonder how many Canadians are calling to report too stiff of a ride on their trucks?

Anyway, I also plan to AAL if they deny my TSB repairs. If/when the 2009's are added, I'll try again to get the work completed and run with the 5 leaf pack after that. I just wonder if the two additional leaves would make the ride TOO stiff. I need to haul 600-700 lbs on bumpy roads (dirt bikes and gear).

17. Mar 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    3" Lift: Front - OME 885 Springs with N140S, Toytec 1/2" Spacer; Rear - TSB Leafs with Toytec TSB AAL and OME N182S. Total Chaos UCA's, Access Tonnaeu Cover, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, Polished Aluminum Bull Bar, Bed Mat.
    Yeah, me too. 4 wheeler in the back on bumpy dirt roads. I am probably going to go through Toytec. My only questions is do I get the AAL for the TSB, which adds a touch less lift, and is a bit softer, in preparation for the TSB, or the non TSB AAL which gives a full 2" lift, and would be awefully stiff if under a TSB spring?

18. Mar 4, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    CWOF

CWOF siemprelisto

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma DC TRD Off-Road w/towing pkg
    Prodigy II Brake Control, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Extra D-ring Tie downs, All-Weather Mats, K&N 33-2281, Mobil1
    I called the 1-800 number last week. The Toyota rep opened a case and sent it to my local dealership. The next morning the dealership called and told me they had received the case and had already ordered the springs and new mounting hardware. Yesterday morning I took my 09 DC TRD Off-road in and five hours later I was picking up my ride with the four-leaf TSB completed ~ all with no hassles! It rides a little firmer, which I like, and didn't bottom out with the 900 lb load I moved last night. Rick Hendrick Toyota ROCKS!

19. Mar 4, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    docuw

docuw Active Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    The service mgr here in Salt Lake, when I told him that some of you guys are getting your 09s done, said he figured that was the case and that it was likely a factor of the regional managers approving the differently. If you are getting your 09 TSB springs done, it might be helpful to know which "region" you are in. It seems unlikely to get done here in the Rock Mountain region (regional mgr in Denver) until TSB updated.

20. Mar 4, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I'm in the Rocky Mountain Region, and I'm supposed to be getting it done Friday. When I spoke to the service manager at my dealership over the phone, he didn't give me any hassles about it. We'll see if he changes his story when I get down there on Friday.

Products Discussed in

To Top