1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009's - do you have engine braking going down hills?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Apr 30, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    OK, this is now my second post on this subject because it is frustrating the hell out of me. I live in hilly Western PA and have never seen a vehicle act like my Taco does. It's a 2009 Double cab TRD Sport. Anyone else experience this???

If I am accelerating to the top of a hill and begin to descend, without touching the brake, the truck will downshift and the RPM's go up. Going downhill, it will begin to slow. What's worse is that it doesn't do it every time and usually kicks in halfway down a hill. Other times it doesn't kick in at all. It makes the ride choppy and will shift your weight forward becuase you are not ready for it.

While going downhill, if I give it gas, it will SOMETIMES kick out of it and coast freely again. Other times, it will accelerate while throttling but immediately begin slowing when I let off (in too low of a gear).

On steep hills, I have watched my RPM's go up by 1000 or more while coasting. It NEVER upshifts because of the hill.

I know the truck has brake assist but this does it when I'm just coasting...not touching the brake. My 2004 1st gen (and every other vehicle I have ever ridden in) did not do this.

2. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    Braino

Braino Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4
    A.R.E. cap, suspention upgrade (tsb), window tint
    I have not been on any hills "yet", but I have noticed it not coasting has far as it should when approaching a stop. It does seem to want to down shift and slow down faster. I don't know how this affects the mileage or if it is a bad thing, I'm curious what other members think.

3. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Yes, it's made like that. Mine does it too and it's an 07.

4. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    I have felt it on coasting to a stop, but nothing harsh enough to be worried about, or bothersome. I haven't noticed it revving the rpms or anything. Kinda' like it actually when I am in hyper-mileing mode. It is really helpful when coasting in to stoplights and timing it so I don't have to come to a complete stop. Minimizes riding the brakes for that.

I will pay attention on downhills to see what I observe.

5. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    You know this is the one thing that really bothers me. Every other car or truck I had just goes into coast mode when you let off the gas. I would suspect it makes your mpg worse, it would have to the way it revs up. I am just wanting it to go into overdrive, I have even caught myself popping it in nuetral to coast sometimes.

6. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Slap'er in N

7. Apr 30, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    my 05 does this also. Sometimes it kicks in at just the right moment and other time it is a jolt.

8. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Those that do not live in hilly areas will not notice this the way I do. I notice it when coasting flat terrain as well but that is not too bothersome.

What sucks is when a hill is long and steep and the RPM's just keep going up and winding out the engine. On some hills, I'll let off the throttle at 2500rpms and it goes up to 4000rpms while coasting. That DEFINITELY affects my gas mileage. It makes the engine LOUD!

So it's nothing that can be reprogrammed or turned off??? That sucks!

9. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    And coasting in neutral with an automatic is not good for the tranny. I believe it stops pumping the oil or something. I dropped a transmission in a Ford Tempo while coasting down "Four Mile Hill". Got to the bottom, popped it back in drive, gave it gas and clunk...clunk...clunk.

10. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    oghwga

oghwga Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab 2wd sb
    mine does it too. Freaked me out the first time and still catches me by surprise from time to time. No big deal though.

11. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well it was a Ford after all :D

12. Apr 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    MassTaco

MassTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4 SR5 DC AT5
    This is one of the things that I like best about this transmission. It drives much more like a manual where you rev-match and downshift when coming to a stop or coasting up to a red light. One of the biggest gripes I've always had with slush-box trannies is that they offer no engine braking.

13. Apr 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    My 08 does it too and I hate it. If you can keep your foot off the brake pedal going down small hills it will not do it. You just need to think ahead and give yourself additional room in front of the vehicle ahead of you.

14. Apr 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

15. Apr 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    It does not hurt your mpg. The injectors turn off if no throttle is given, and they will only start back up when the rpms drop to 1200 rpm or so.

16. Apr 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Haven't experienced it yet (I pick up my truck very soon) but engine braking is a great thing in a truck IMHO. There's nothing I hate more than having to ride the brakes going down a hill with my boat attached, in order to keep the speed reasonable. If the engine braking can do that on its own (or at least help) that is great!

17. Apr 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    x2 It actually SAVES gas by doing this. If you were just coasting (like a manual with the clutch in) it would have to burn gas to keep the engine going. By downshifting it gets the engine in an RPM range that it doesn't need gas, and thus saves some.

Many newer cars are doing this to save gas and brake wear, since you don't have to ride your brakes down the hill. Hondas have had this programming for awhile, as have most Toyota cars. Same theroy as "hill decent" technology.

18. Apr 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    2009Taco

2009Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Highlander
    i haven't experienced this in my Taco yet, but I have it in my Sequoia and I actually like it now that I'm used to it.

19. Apr 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    One of the reasons behind the way the new auto works is due to the torque converter. Most converters on vehicles are either locked or not locked. When they lock, they will stay locked until the vehicle slows to a predetermined speed, then they unlock. Other times, they may unlock when no throttle input is sensed by the ECU (if throttle by wire set up). On the A750E (Tacoma 5 speed auto), the converter can lock, unlock, and engauge anywhere in between. It can fully lock in 4th and 5th gears, and achive 75% lock in 3rd gear. It was designed to behave much like a manual tranny, and efficiently transfer power as well as give better fuel econ. The TCM (Tranny Control Modual) also can "Learn" your driveing habbits and adjust accordingly. If you look at the mpg numbers, you will see that the auto is better in city AND highway than the 6 speed manual. Also, the auto give quicker acceleration. The A750E is a pretty awsome tranny when you think of how it works.

20. Apr 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Downhill assist? It does it on mine, I like it personally, you can manipulate the gas to do it. Its no different than me normally downshifting to save the brakes.

Products Discussed in

To Top