1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 4 cylinder 5 speed shifting questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brow, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Apr 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver access 4x4, that'll never be done
    switched rear-view camera, custom access cab bench, tonneau cover, custom bike rack in bed, extra d-rings, de-badged, mag lite mount, weathertechs, bed lights with 3-way switches, rear spring TSB, ultra gauge, after market hitch, cab/hitch mounted canoe rack
    Ok, this may be one of the dumber things posted on this site in a while, but I just bought my tacoma about three weeks ago, and I have noticed that shifting from 2-3 It really wants to grab while im shifting. Now this is my first stick vehicle, so I may just be imagining things here, but has anyone else noticed an issue like this?

THe best way I can describe it is that every time I up shift into 3rd, I can feel the gears attempting to catch, almost like a light grinding, there is no audible noise, I can just feel it in the stick shift. Don't notice it with any other gear change.

And yes, I'm sure im pressing the cluth completely, tried to jam the damn thing through the floor on the way home from work tonight just to make sure I wasn't a complete moron

2. Apr 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Are you shifting too fast?? Im thinking it's the synchronizer. But that should be normal if your shifting fast.

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    brow

brow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver access 4x4, that'll never be done
    switched rear-view camera, custom access cab bench, tonneau cover, custom bike rack in bed, extra d-rings, de-badged, mag lite mount, weathertechs, bed lights with 3-way switches, rear spring TSB, ultra gauge, after market hitch, cab/hitch mounted canoe rack
    the faster I shift the smoother it seems to be, but when I'm taking my time and shifting easy, it feels like teeth are catching in the gears

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    MikeyD

MikeyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sayreville NJ
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota tacoma 4x4
    BHLM, HID kit, yellow fogs, Grill craft, Hellas behind grillcraft, LED cup holder mod, after market horn, extra reverse lights, under body glow for off roading at night, pro comp 7089's wrapped in 255/75/17 bfg mud terrains, Toytec coiovers sat at 3.25, 2" add a leaf with 5100's, Satoshi grill mod
    if i shift VERY slowly i feel that also. I dont think its just from 2nd - 3rd though. I would just shift faster.

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Hmmm, this may be dumb, but since its a 2010 it may not be all the way broke in yet. Just a suggestion.

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I know what you are talking about, but I have only ever experienced that with shitty clutches and heavy vechicles (dump truck/ Duce and 1/2). Seems odd that you are experiencing it in your truck. Does it make a pinging sound?

7. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    rendertrust

rendertrust Member

Member:
    try double clutch shifts. while in second press and hold clutch then into Neutral then let out on clutch.. then clutch all the way in again shift to 3rd then let out clutch. Maybe check tranny fluid just in case ?

To Top