1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by BartStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jan 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM
    BartStar

BartStar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I just dug out the 2010 Auto Issue (came out in March 2010)
    I am slighly confused that Consumer Reports condemed Toyota cause of its bogus sticking throttle pedal problem, but at the same time gave high marks to those vehicles that was effected by the recal, BUT gave low marks to the 09 Tundra and the 09 Tacoma 4 cyl that never were effected by the recall??
    Consumer Reports also gave higher marks to the Honda Ridgeline over the Toyota Tacoma where the Honda Ridgeline was horrible in its crash test results.
    According to Consumer Reports its more important for a comfortable, quiet ride than getting killed in a crash?
    ( The Toyota Tacoma rated better than average in all the crash tests )

2. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I don't think that cp looks at stuff like recalls... that's usually not important as well as not known about when they do their testing

3. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:37 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    CP's opinion was irrelevant to me. For a dishwasher, yeah I might consult it. But when it comes to purchasing a vehicle, they hardly stand out in the field of expert reviews. But most of all, when it came to buying a new truck I pored over user reviews. And when it comes to user reviews, Tacomas still kick ass.

4. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I trust Consumer Reports auto testing over all other auto magazines because they buy the vehicles they test anonymously from dealers like we have to. No specially prepared freebies from the manufacturers. They don't accept advertising so they don't have to worry about pissing off Toyota or GM. Their recommendations are based on performance, reliability and safety. If a vehicle is part of a safety recall it's recommendation is suspended 'till the recall is resolved (they are safety-nazis after all). The Honda Ridgeline tests better than the Tacoma because it's really a car. As far as ride versus crash worthiness, well you put up with a crappy ride every day but might never get to crash test your truck.

5. Jan 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Consumer Reports looks for:
    Reliability
    Interior room
    Ride
    Fuel economy
    Bumper strength

Consumer Reports doesn't care about:
    On-road performance
    Towing ability
    Off-road performance
    Crash rating (they can't verify)
    Styling

Base on CR's priorities, the Ridgeline is better. Then again, based on CR's priorities, we should all be driving Accords and Corollas. :p

6. Jan 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    They test everything like it's a Camry... Even on 2500 diesel trucks they say things like "vague steering" and "harsh, jarring ride" and it is an "inconvenience to park" No shit, it's a truck. It drives like a truck. Use it as a truck.

7. Jan 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Hit the nail on the head. CR's primary goal is to pick up the kids from school. They think that trucks are just "really big cars"

8. Jan 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Based on CR's priorities ALL vehicles should perform as well as an Accord or a Corolla, including trucks and SUVs.

9. Jan 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    BartStar

BartStar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I can't understand why Consumer Reports condemed ONLY the 2009 Tacoma 4 cyl, but NOT any other year of the same truck with same engine?
    But there are no black marks on the 09 4 cyl???
    I think Consumer Reports is using Toyota as a scape goat, they are too afraid to be critizied as being in love with Toyota and Honda, so they have to save face by picking one year, one model as a bad choice.
    Saftey is important to me, #2 is gas mileage, #3 is 4 wheel drive, and #4 is hauling and towing, thats why I picked the Tacoma, also I love the resale value since I get a new truck almost every other year, i'm not worried if later I learn to hate the Tacoma cause I will just trade it in on another truck, but so far I love this truck and so far its a keeper.

Products Discussed in

To Top