1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Creaky/Squeaky clutch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by meegari, May 6, 2010.

1. May 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    meegari

meegari [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport SB Leather Pkg
    Hello team taco,

I just want to make sure that i'm not being paranoid but something doesn't seem right.

I have been driving manuals for 16 years now and haven't heard this type of creaking from a clutch let alone a brand new one.

My DC TRD Sport only has 1298 Km's on it and today the clutch started to make a creaking sound as it comes up, the best way I can describe it is that it sounds like on old creaky door opening and its loud enough that you can notice when the radio on is on low and feel it vibrate as it creaks under my foot.

Im not happy right now as the truck wasn't cheap, i'm hoping it just goes away but after reading quite a lot of threads on here it sounds like it has been a issue for many.

Just wondered if anyone else that owns a 2009 or 2010 has had similar issues?

Should I take it to the dealer now or wait a few more days to see if it goes away?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. May 6, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    My 2006 has the pedal creaking noise. It goes away as long as I keep it lubed. I do not have any creaking from under the truck.

The latest development in the ongoing six speed throw out bearing saga points to wear on the clutch fork pivot. If you have a creak under your truck, I would be concerned that the clutch fork pivot is already running dry and wearing down.

Take it in for sure, at the very least get it documented.

3. May 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    meegari

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This is nuts with only 1200 kms

4. May 7, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD SPORT Acc.Cab Mag Grey 4x4 Auto
    Weathertech floor liners, stone and bug deflector, Putco Element In Channel Window Visors, Viper remote starter, Harley lighted hitch cover, Herculeze front mudflap, Metal Miller Harley Grill Emblem, SockMonkey design Bedside Decals and 3rd Brake light TRD decal, K&N Air Filter, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17 C load, Valor Exhaust tip, De-badged tailgate, Advantage Tonneau Cover, Tacoma bedmat, Bicycle Mount Rail mounts, Custom Ipod holder. Stock Suspension :( (winter wheels: 2014 16" stock steel wheels plastidipped black with general arctics 265/75/16)
    My '09 did the same. I had to take it in to the dealer twice.
    I think once they grease it up and another time replaced a spring.

5. May 7, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    My '07 does the same thing. Now that it's getting hot outside its starting to creak. Its the stupid plastic pedal assembly. Whoever decided that would be a good idea should be fired. Its actually quite embarrassing when people who don't know about cars ride with me because they think my truck is a POS and its only 3 years old.

I'm gonna lube mine up this weekend with some spray on lithium grease. That usually works for a few weeks then I have to lube it up again.

6. May 7, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Same thing here on my '09. If you look at the linkage directly behind the pedal, there's a jam nut on a shaft. You'll probably notice that there's a little bit of free play in the pedal before it contacts the plastic fitting on the end of the shaft. Loosen the jam nut and lengthen the shaft until it contacts the pedal. Squirt some lube in there and give that a try. It's kind of a pain to do, but you can do it.

That sounds like a weird solution - I thought so too, and then I tried it because the squeak was driving be crazy. Before I did that, I was having to lube the pedal every couple of weeks. It's now been nearly 2 months and the squeak has not reocurred. I've heard of other guys doing the same thing with similar luck.

It would also be a good idea to tell the dealer about it to get it in the record. My dealer heard the squeak and said he'd replace the whole assembly if I wanted... but I'm waiting to see if I've solved the problem first.

Roger

7. May 7, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    ^^^^^ X10!
    Take it back to dealer and tell them to fix it. It is under warranty and with only 1300 miles, it is unacceptable!
    Go Get Em!

8. May 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    Kelson

Kelson My Truck is Cuter than Yours

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    my 08 started to squeak after a couple months. took it to the dealer, didn't squeak for a bit, squeaked again, then stoppped. i think it has a lot to do with temp tho...

9. May 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    meegari

Member:
    Vehicle:

1200km = 745 miles only which makes it even worse, i paid like 42,000 otd for this truck here in Canada which is not cheap, i'm pretty pissed to have this happen on a new vehicle.

I contacted my sales guy and he was as suprised as me, he told me to bring it in, so I'll pop in first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks team for all the help,advice and support!!!

10. May 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Problem is they are just going to keep throwing the same defective part on it. The problem is the stupid Plastic pedal assembly.

11. May 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    06stex

06stex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Corpus Christi, Texas 361
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD 6" Fabtech..limo tint
    6 inch Fabtech, Dirt Logic 2.5 coilovers, Light Racing UCAs 17x9 XD spy, 305 65 17 Extreme ATs, Limo all around, Kicker speakers,Kicker L5 10 inch sub, 400 watt kicker mono amp In dash Pioneer with Ipod cable, Flowmaster 50, bedmat, toolbox, K N Filter, cheapo seat covers, 6000k HIDs upfront, bhlm,DDM 5000K fogs, tailgate mod, and many more to come.
    I know that it is a stupid pedal part but they updated my pedal assembly in 07 on my 06' and i have not had any problems since they updated it. I have relubed it once in 3 years and never an issue. Take it to the dealer and tell them the clutch is creaking and you feel it in your foot every time you depress the clutch and you want it looked at or changed. You feel that you have a defective assembly. If the dealer doesnt replace it i would take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

12. May 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    same thing happens with my '08...i find that if I use some WD-40, I get about 3 months before it squeaks again.

13. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    NorthernTacoma

NorthernTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual TRD exhaust
    TRD Exhaust, Rear leaf TSB, TRD CAI, Biceman 4x4 Illuminated switch mod
    I had this happen on my 2010. The dealer replaced my clutch assembly and the damn thing is squeaking again. I'm not sure if I want to take it back to the dealer for them tell me they can't do anything else.

14. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    There is no need to take it to the dealer, it took me all of 6 seconds to fix the annoying-as-hell squeak. I realize a new truck shouldn't make any niose, and it is the dealers responibility, but there's no need to be without the truck if not necessary. Here's what to do:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97704

Haven't had a problem since.

15. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    NorthernTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Excellent referral. Thanks. No more squeak for now. We'll see how long this lasts.

16. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    NorthernTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well, that didn't work for long. I'm unable to tighten the bolt all the way tight. It seems to tighten up and then get loose again as I'm making the final turns to really tighten it up. I can get the noise to stop for about 15 min then it comes back again.

To Top