1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Double Cab Stolen without a key???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by myfavoritetruck, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nov 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Received this email from a friend...don't know how much truth there is to it but.....

VIN NUMBER - WARNING

Wow....so simple, I would have NEVER thought about someone doing that!!!!

Here is INFO worth the price of your car.... WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK OF & nbsp;NEXT?
    The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or vehicle, write down the VIN#
    from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key
    based on the VIN#

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys.
    They told me to just bring in the VIN#, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I
    could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect
    payment from the thief who will return to your vehicle.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself.
    All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop
    shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that EASY.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some dark tape (electrical tape, duct tape
    or medical tape) across the VIN Number Metal Label located on the dashboard.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through
    the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3x5 card over my VIN NUMBER.

2. Nov 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I am not making assumptions, I know as I run an Auto Theft Unit. The Chrysler/Dodge products including yours comes with a transponder but Chrysler decided to rip off the owners by not activating the transponder unless you pay for an extra option when it is purchased. So people think that the vehicle has an anti theft device when they buy it but it is not activated. We have had trucks like yours stolen, all they need to do is defeat the ignition and drive away. When the truck is recovered you have to replace the lock cylinder, lock housing, transponder ring and recode the locks. The transponder ring is not activated. The Tacoma has a transponder and it works. The vehicle cannot be stolen without a key of the proper type or it has to be towed. The only caveat as JKD stated is if the vehicle has a remote start as they are designed to bypass the transponder. The email about using the VIN is a joke. So many Chrysler products can be stolen without any key that no one is going to get a VIN from a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. Just defeat the ignition. You can't do the urban myth use the VIN with a transponder vehicle because the vehicle has to be present at the dealer to program the key. Most but I am sure not all of the dealers require proof of ownership in order to cut you a key. That means that you had service there before and they have you in their database and they check your ID or you show them the registration.

3. Nov 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Covering the VIN on the dash is a way, there is a VIN on all outer panels. Open the tailgate and look on one of the outer vertical edges. I know, I know, tailgate lock, hose clamp, blah blah blah. There will always be a way.

4. Nov 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    @FJM0008...just as I thought re the Vin number thing being a joke...thanks for the opinion...btw..I do not own a Dodge....:):):)

Products Discussed in

To Top