1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 MT 4L RPM/Gas Mileage Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dprender, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jan 19, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    dprender

dprender [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma V6-4L-TRD Off Road packa
    Anyone with 2010 V6 4L MT TRD off road apckage experience increase in RPM sometiems by 500 to 1000 when shifting? Happens when cluch is depressed between shifts. Aslo could happen when crusing and cluch is pressed. Milage is poor 17l/100 km (13.5 mpg) on average expect ~ 20mpg. Could these problems be related. Never had these problems on my 95 MT was getting abour 13 l /100 km (19mpg).

2. Jan 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat Look away, I'm hideous!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 OR
    Mine does it all the time. Been driving manual transmissions since I got my license in 96 and never had that happen before. I've seen several complaints on other forums about this issue as well.

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Welcome. Normal on these trucks, you dont think about it much after a while. Has to do w/ emissions... believe its for a complete fuel burn. Its not the reason for your bad mileage though.

Lots of variables... how & where you drive, its cold, and you got winter gas this time of year. Your truck is new too.

Try to keep it 2000 rpms and below cruising, and shift at 2k - low 2's and you should see improvement. This truck can handle the lower rpms better than your older I4. Your not going to see 20 mpg this time of year. Driven right in the summer, no problem. For me its mostly rural driving 17 winter, 20 summer (US gallon).

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    dprender

dprender [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys for the input. I took my truck back to the dealer to have it checked. I do not think this should happen. It seems like a control system problem to me. If it is throttling ip like that, I think that the computer is not making corrections when it senses the change in resistance as the gas pedal is released and the cluch is depressed. The feedback loop needs to be adjusted such that the control is critically damped. Now I think that it is under damped. I may be off the mark but that is what I think could be wrong.

Any Thoughts/Comments?

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat Look away, I'm hideous!

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 OR
    Don't know. I just assumed it was supposed to since others have the same problem. Let us know what the dealer says. I'd be interested to hear. If it is a problem I've got my 5000 mile maintenance coming up so I could ask about it then as well.

6. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    mlcasey

mlcasey Active Member

Member:
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Red TRD sport
    Mine does this as well but I believe it is the way it was designed. By keeping the throttle open for a second longer and cutting the fuel it is able to burn off any unused fuel in the intake/cylinder and lower emissions. It is kinda annoying until you get used to it. Ive had several people drive my truck and tell me they dont like it because of that but I still love it guess its a good way of keeping people from wanting to drive it. Anyway I would love to hear of a way to alter to PID controller for the drive by wire system so keep us updated if you find out anything.

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    dprender

dprender [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    Will keep you posted. When stuff was done with cables springs and screws this never happened. In these days of advanced electronics youd think that the engeineers would get this right. If this is the way its suppose to work, I think its a step backward. I agree though, it may be a good antiborrowing mechanism.

8. Jan 22, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    dprender

dprender [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    Just got my 2010 V6 MT back from the dealer. Its 5 weeks old now with ~3000K on it. One of their top mechanicks took it out for a test drive. First of all the dealer said that throttling up by about 200 RPM is normal as alot of you said to burn off excess fuel for emission reasons, its designed that way. In the old days engines use to dump that fuel in the exhaust but not anymore so that is normal.

The mechanic found that when the engine was cold the problem did not show up but as soon as the engine got to operating temperature it could throttle up by 500 to 1000 RPM which he thought was abnormal. In doing research he discovered that Toyoto released a technical bulletin that identified this problem. It is caused by the flywheel being engaged to the engine abit longer than it should when the cluch is pressed. The inertia/momentum of the truck's forward movement, even though your foot is off the gas, causes the engine to go faster than it should thus raisning the RPM. Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

Now, the reason that the flywheel remains engaged is because of a manufacturing defedt in the rivits that hold flywheel mechanism toghther if I undersatnd correcty. When the engine heats up, the expansion is just enough to cause this effect. As this condition worstens, you will notice that it gets more difficult to get the truck in gear and in the limit when the rivits give way, you will need a tow truck to get you back to the dealer. Note the throttling up should be in the order of 500 to 1000 RPM before you really need to be concerned. You be the judge 200-300 is normal.

There you go guys, I have a brand new truck, my dealer ordered an new cluch flywheel, pressure plate and bearing assembly. Shold be in soon. the mechanic recommend changing all that sooner rather than later. I hated to have this done so soon but the guy did the resarch and so I trust his recommendation.

By the way Toyota knows where that part was manufactrued and the range of VIN numbers of trucks that were built using parts from that manufacturer. My VIN # fell within that range.

Dont panic but check it out, will keep you posted

9. Jan 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Debadged, GC Mesh Grill, Yellow Fogs, Color Matched Headlights w/ Retros, Diff Breather Mod; mickey thompson classic IIs, 5100s, toytec springs, Dakar Leaf pack, ss brake lines, Lots more...just check the build page.
    Thanks for the follow up post! Great info to have.

To Top