1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 rear end squeak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacoman89, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    tacoman89

tacoman89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 2wd base
    Here we go...the truck is a 4 cyl rwd base model with a 5 speed manual transmission. It is also the access cab. Today, I took a load of wood to my cottage, about 10 kms or so from my house. In doing so, the truck was sitting lower than usual, but nothing crazy. After unloading the wood and coming back home, I noticed a faint squeak in the rear suspension of the truck. I don't think I overloaded it as the amount of wood didn't even fill the bed. The truck has around 3500 kms on it, so I wouldn't assume a wear issue, but you never know. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. I plan on taking it to the dealer unless its something I can fix myself with a little bit of grease.

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You may have gotten some dirt or gravel between your leaves when they were loaded down , this will lead to a squeak , spray them out and see if this helps .

:canada:

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    tacoman89

tacoman89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 2wd base

stupid question, but how do I do that? With WD-40, compressed air? I'm new to leafs...I've been driving struts my whole life :eek:

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Water if it's above freezing , the powerwashers at car wash places work well , compressed air would probably work as well .

If that does not do it , definitely stop by the dealer , I know of a few guys who have broken their leaves .

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    tacoman89

tacoman89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 2wd base
    ok, thanks for the help..I will be doing that in the morning! I don't think I broke a leave as the truck sits fine and when pushed on or rocked just squeaks...but you can't be too sure!

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The factory leaves do tend to squeak after a while , but usually not in the timeframe you are talking about .

7. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    tacoman89

tacoman89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 2wd base
    I kinda figured it was pre-mature. I haven't really loaded down the truck except for this once...and I don't think I was close to over loading it. Its kinda disheartening, especially since its so new...oh well, thats what warranties are for I guess!

8. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Good luck

9. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    tacoman89

tacoman89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 2wd base
    well, the curious mind in me got the best of me...and I took your advice and sprayed out the leafs and wholla, no more squeak! I sprayed a little bit of WD-40 on them to keep them moving freely. Thanks for the great advice and tips. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that some dirt got in between them and was enough to cause a squeak. Thanks again!

PS, I see your from British Columbia. I'm from Nova Scotia, never been to BC, but heard its beautiful!

10. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    That's great .

I wouldn't recommend spraying anything in there like WD-40 too often as it will probably be more likely to accumulate dirt , just try to keep them clean .

BC is grand , I am thinking of driving across Canada next summer .

11. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    tacoman89

tacoman89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 2wd base
    Ok, sounds good! I can handle cleaning them every once in a while.

Sounds like a good plan! We have a beautiful country and what better way to enjoy it, then by driving over it and seeing all what it has to offer! I plan on one in the coming years

12. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

To Top