1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010+ Regular Cab (AT) Bucket Seats in a 2010+ Regular Cab (MT)

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by jchav, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jul 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    jchav

jchav [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Irving Tx
    Vehicle:
    Red 2.7L 4x4 Manual
    none yet
    Hey all, I know there are a few different threads going around about swapping bucket seats into a Regular Cab. I've read through most of them but I've had a hard time finding the answer to this question:

Will the bucket seats (W/Airbags) out of a 2010+ Regular Cab with an Automatic transmission be plug and play with a 2010+ Regular cab with a bench seat?

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I am so tired of my bucket seat but I want the airbags to be functional. I also could not stand having the airbag light lit up on the dash. From what I've read the bucket seats in an Access Cab or a Double Cab wont work because the wiring harness on the passenger side does not plug in to the wiring harness in a regular cab.

2. Jul 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    Short answer - No

I tried on an 09 - didn't work and too many mods to make it work. I traded for a 2010 AC.

3. Jul 17, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    jchav

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Irving Tx
    Vehicle:
    Red 2.7L 4x4 Manual
    none yet
    Thanks for the replies guys. It's unfortunate that Toyota engineering made these decisions. I have found a couple of threads on other forums where people were able to splice the passenger side harness and make it work, I need to look into it further. Anyone here have any success with splicing the harness?

4. Jul 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    If I knew the front air bags would stay active I would totally install buckets into my 2012 RC 5-spd, I don't care for the side air bags, or seat air bags.

It's a lot or work, which for me means I need to get a smokin deal on the seats, lol...

Best of luck to you if you can get it working man,

5. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    bubba353z

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:

Here's another thread that may help:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...bout-swapping-2nd-gen-bench-seat-buckets.html

I guess if you feel daring, you could make an adapter by cutting off the unused ends from the bench and donor truck main harness and wiring them together. You'd just have to identify the wires to make sure you're matching them up (if they're not colored the same).

It doesn't make sense to me why they would over-complicate it so much - using like parts should lower their production / inventory costs.

Another problem I ran into was that the seat belts were different. The buckle (on the belts coming out of the pillar) was bigger than the recepticle that came with the bucket seats. I probably could have made the bench recepticals work, but there's more wiring work and I said "uncle" at that point.

I'm much happier with my AC..... :D

6. Jul 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    I would love to know why Toyota did this,

I mean you have buckets and OPD Sensors/Systems in place in the AC, just bring them into an RC with a 5-spd,

Maybe I need to get an AC with buckets and a 5-spd,

Hey, then i'll have pre-wiring for fog lights and an overhead console, Lol...

7. Jul 18, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    jchav

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Irving Tx
    Vehicle:
    Red 2.7L 4x4 Manual
    none yet

I have been thinking about trading in for an AC but I don't think it's worth it for me at this point. The truck is paid off and if I were to get an AC I would go for the 4.0 with the 6 speed manual. I have found a few but they are pretty rare and can be expensive. I like not having a car payment ATM as I am trying to finish off my student loans. I think when Toyota brings out a 3rd gen Tacoma I'll seriously consider buying a new one. For now I just want to make the best I can out of the RC I have.

8. Jul 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    I vote stay NO car payment,

Wait until the second year of the re-design, lol....

Although if I can trade into an AC and 5-spd with buckets next year but a 2014 model, I would be very tempted....

Oh heck who knows,

I went to the lake last weekend and got to Kayak for the first time and loved it,

Now my mind is on a bed rack system, DC tacoma to store gear, but I know an RC with a Leer top or something would look much awesomer!

9. Jul 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    bubba353z

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    I understand.

I was only a year into my RC, so trading for the AC wasn't as big a deal. The harder one was trading the AC for the AC Sport (wanted the V6 / Auto) after the first AC was paid off. Ultimately the V6 won me over - I'll have it paid off by the end of the year.

10. Jul 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    last i was able to find there were no direct specific details about swapping reg cab buckets into another reg cab with the bench. all details i have found relate to the buckets being from the larger cab models. so, if you have access to a reg cab with buckets to check the wiring harness for the airbags and other requirement you need to 1st check the number of pins for the airbag connector as i'm sure you've read about by now. if this is a match well you might be onto something sweet. otherwise live without the side airbags and use the resistor trick for the system on this connection.. i have yet to make the swap, had a guy beef up my bench with extra foam, it has helped but is nowhere near the same as buckets, just too much on the go to make the swap that needs to happen. i tried checking with toyota about the connectors and they weren't able to provide me anything...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  11. Feb 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    valdore

valdore New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    austin
    Boca Raton,Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Regular Cab PreRunner
    fox coil-overs,off road bumpers,real sport hood with scoop,real leather seat,custom interior,sound proofing,3D Trex grille,over $16000 with this build!
    i think the floor tracks are different because of the center box on the buckets!

Products Discussed in

To Top