1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma driveshaft recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyby4, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Good luck with that!:rolleyes:

2. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Ok lets be real here - if you are so stupid you let a floor mat get so it jams up your gas pedal, lets blame you the driver that seems to not understand the complicated act of gas pedal and acceleration , do you let your dog ride on the floor under your legs when you are driving also ?

Gas pedal will take a .0001 cent washer to fix - my god them Toyota's are junk.

Take your truck in to have them look at the front drive, if broke they will replace for free, if not you will leave with the same unit.

I see a lot of minor complaints with little to no substance

3. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Question is.. can the crack develop overtime? If it passes inspection today how do you know that when you take your 2000 mile road trip a month from now, it won't fail on you?

Frontier FTW!

4. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    Just saw this on the news and thought it was a crock of shit b/c they're talking about Taco's while showing footage of a Tundra. Nimrods. This is really starting to piss me off though. I don't see how everything can just go south like this all of a sudden unless they changed suppliers or hired the biggest moron ever to oversee quality control. All my diehard Ford, Chevy buddies are getting a kick of this one...

5. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
  6. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes for you, but your viewpoint means nothing to someone else who likes the look.

7. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    sweetbaboo

sweetbaboo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD Pro MT
    eh? ok...see pictures of my rail cleat modifications if you want "proof" that I own a tacoma

8. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    sweetbaboo

sweetbaboo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD Pro MT
    that was me...I wanted either the F150 or the Tacoma. I picked the Tacoma because of Toyota reliability (I used to own a 92 Camry when I was in college and that thing was bulletproof) and the price for a double cab SR5 was far better than the supercrew F150...that and I'd never owned an American car before. I'll admit I'm having some buyer's remorse because of all of the bad Toyota publicity and the latest recall...I'm also wondering when the other shoe will drop and other Tacoma issues start coming out

Edit: oh yeah, I also wanted a manual transmission, which you can't get on a supercab F150

9. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    packetshooter

packetshooter Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Ugh, just got my Taco last week and now I'm gonna have to go back to the dealer :/

Good times! In all honesty though, I don't think I've owned a vehicle that has not had a recall on it.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of some of the Toyota executive meetings. Plus agree with some of the earlier posts that if the sub-contractors in the US can't produce quality parts then they deserve to be shipped back to Japan and made there. That is capitalism at its best. Perform or lose the business but that also requires Toyo to make sure what they're accepting is up to snuff.

10. Feb 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    I posted this in another thread here and was told it was a repost. WTF

11. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    ashjwilliams

ashjwilliams Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have no idea what you are trying to insinuate (panic?). In the last year I have bought 2 new vehicles. Both of them have had major defects. I am pissed. That is all.

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    Its called fanboyism. I experienced this when I owned a Subaru that took a complete dump before the first oil change. Every fanboy that owns one will hate you for your comments; that's just the way it is.

13. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    ashjwilliams

Member:
    And note that I am in no way thinking of moving on. I actually really like my Tacoma. I am just irritated by my predicament (1 fail car and now the Tacoma problems).

14. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    thecreeper

thecreeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am stewing... I was told my brand new 2010 needs a host of things replaced but they can't do it until March. I don't understand this? I'm confused. First thing Monday I'm going in there guns blazing demanding to know what really needs to be replaced. These guys at the dealer are busy because of the fiasco but I think they might be giving out wrong info. I can't talk to anyone because everyone and their mother has their Camry, Prius, FJ, Tundra, all down there because everyone is freaking out.

i'm drained... maybe I should have bought a Frontier :p

but anyway the Taco TRD -OFF RD is awesome for now! then again i've only owned it for 3 weeks so I got new owner euphoria!!!!! but the recall brings me down a tad.

15. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    ej87

ej87 New Member

Member:
    It should be made clear that the potentially defective Dana front shafts were also used in FORD and NISSAN 4WD vehicles. Despite all the hammering Toyota's been receiving lately they are the only manufacturer to step up and publicly address this issue.

Read here: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1217484220100213?type=marketsNews

16. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    So what did they say needed to be "replaced"? Relay this info when you find out what items are involved.

17. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  18. Feb 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Yeah, that will work.

19. Feb 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Window stickers will inform you of build details, ie where parts for the truck where made. Mine was like 65% Japen, 35% USA

20. Feb 14, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    thecreeper

thecreeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    well I am miffed about this whole situation. I just bought this truck. Then a rep of the dealer calls me to tell me to come down ASAP to discuss the recall. I get down there and they can't talk to me because they have a bunch of other people they probably called in regards to the recalls freaking out. I wait there for 2hrs to no avail. Talk to a bunch of pissed off Toyo owners about this whole fiasco...give up and go home...get a call after 5pm from someone in service saying my specific truck needs to be looked at. Truck "should" be safe to drive but they have a list of things that may needs to be replaced. "What?" response? "Um, not sure but just bring it down and we'll tell you. Depending on what needs to be replaced we might have to wait till March..." again "What needs to be replaced?" "Sir just bring it down next week sometime and our service mgr will be very happy to discuss this with you." Again, "I would like to know what!" "I'm busy right now sir and we are closed so if you can call back first thing Monday and ask for ------- he'd be happy to discuss this with you...."

poor service. guy has no clue what he is talking about.

goin in guns blazing.

Products Discussed in

To Top