1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma-Engine Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrpasch, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    jrpasch

jrpasch [OP] Member

Member:
    Toms River, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Black/Sand
    Pioneer AVIC X920 BT, Leer XQ w/ Thule Aero Bars, Wet Okole Seat Covers, EGR In Channel Rain Guards, Black OEM Tube Steps, Weathertech Digital Fit Mats
    Bought my 2010 DCLB Tacoma in February and put 10K miles on it thus far. Recently heard a strange muffled clicking noise coming from the engine and asked the dealership to check it out upon my regular 10K service. Turns out they cannot get to the bottom of the issue and have been working with their Toyota corporate rep to handle the situation. As of today the dealership is telling me its 95% likely that they will put a new engine into my truck, which will take up to 3 weeks or more since it will have to be ordered. This is my second issue with the truck after having a sensor malfunction that shut down the vehicle right in front of the dealership on the way home from the bank 3 days after my 5K service... which they promptly fixed and then scratched/dented while parking it in the lot, they fixed that too at no charge.

At this point its starting to get old and I'm concerned about issues and value with this truck even with a new engine replacement. I know they aren't just going to had over another truck to me unless mine is completely unrepairable.

Any one have any experience with any issues like this???

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Check the lemon laws in ur state and see what kind of options u have...that sucks, but quality control lets a few thru

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    jrpasch

jrpasch [OP] Member

Member:
    Toms River, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Black/Sand
    Pioneer AVIC X920 BT, Leer XQ w/ Thule Aero Bars, Wet Okole Seat Covers, EGR In Channel Rain Guards, Black OEM Tube Steps, Weathertech Digital Fit Mats
    NJ Lemon Laws require 3 attempts to repair the same issue or more than 20 days to repair the issue. In this case it may take more than 20 days, but its not physically repairing the issue its waiting for parts, in this case the engine.

4. Jul 21, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Chances of.having two bad engines is going to be super rare but i agree that having a engine replaced would constantly worry me

5. Jul 21, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    ^^^^ This, The timing chain replace on mine turned into a trip to hell and back. They make no $ on this kind of work so they put the yard man or bathroom cleaner on it when you leave. Also car fax now will say engines been replaced. Lower $ down the road. Things to think about. Good Luck, Jim

6. Jul 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    That's too bad about all the trouble you're having. Are you dealing with Gateway or another dealer?
    Good luck and welcome to the forum.

7. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    jrpasch

jrpasch [OP] Member

Member:
    Toms River, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Black/Sand
    dealing with Gateway Toyota, who has provided solutions, but its been a bumpy road since I walked on to the sales floor.

Guess I need to ask about adding 10K on to the warranty for the new engine since it'll be starting at 0 miles.

8. Jul 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    jrpasch

jrpasch [OP] Member

Member:
    Toms River, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Black/Sand
    Now Toyota is replacing the Engine Block and will hopefully have the truck back by Monday or Tuesday. Good thing I got the extended warranty....

To Top