1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma with damaged and rusty differential plugs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Winston3, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Mar 7, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    Winston3

Winston3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    A mechanic recently took some pictures of the front and rear differentials. This is a 2010 Toyota Tacoma base model with a 4.0L 6-cylinder engine and 117,141 miles. The truck was purchased in New Jersey in the summer of 2023, with 110,947 miles. The mechanic's assessment was to not attempt to change the oil in the differentials. One of the plugs was damaged, with the top sheared off, while the other was so badly rusted that attempting to remove it would probably result in it being damaged as well.

So, the question is: what should I do next? Should I leave the situation as it is, and hope to get another 50-60,000 miles out of the vehicle? Or should I look to have someone drill out and replace the damaged plugs and do the oil change? This sounds like it has the risk of killing the differential. Alternatively, should I wait a year, or two, and replace the differentials?

Diff_2.jpg

Tacoma_differential_1.jpg
    Tacoma_differential_1.jpg

2. Mar 7, 2024 at 1:08 PM
    Agoldxj

Agoldxj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2009 SWB AC
    What is the 2nd picture of? The fill plug looks rusty but I’m sure it’ll come out, soak it with pb blaster and tap it a few times before loosening it up. I’d buy a replacement plug too. The drain plug is on the bottom, they are 24mm but 15/16 can be used.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  3. Mar 7, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    Scorchedtaco

Scorchedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 ac trd 4x4 sc , 2012 sequoia 4x4
  4. Mar 7, 2024 at 3:06 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    6-pack of beer and $20.
    Take it to your local exhaust shop and have nuts welded to the heads of the bolt.
    They might might even “loosen” them up for you. :thumbsup:

AllTacosFloat likes this.
  5. Mar 7, 2024 at 3:21 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Diffs need occasional fluid changes. Rust can eventually cause a leak. There are ways to remove those plugs.

yeah replacing diffs is possible. But for some reason junkyards believe Tacomas are made of pure gold and demand for their prices, even though they generally don’t break, thus not needing used parts, thus no actual demand.

for example, if I buy or sell a diff. Person to person. It’s probably $50-150 stock.

junkyard? Folks want over a grand. Even though a nicer car they’ll also sell diffs, just like that, for significantly cheaper. So the junkyard diffs just end up sitting there for a long time.

Products Discussed in

To Top