1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 TRD Sport Prerunner rear differential oil

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by roy826, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    roy826

roy826 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    I am confused:confused:it says look in the manual. I did, it does not say anything about a Limited slip additive. Only to use Toyota oil 75w something or another don't have the manual in front of me right now. I assume I have a limited slip rear since I have the VSC button and by turning it off it says LSD on my dash. It does not have a sticker on the rear differential only the check the manual sticker. Reason I am even asking is with only 7k miles on the truck I changed the motor oil today and decided I better check the rear end to see if it actually had any oil in it. It has never been checked by me or dealer. It was a little low, none came out with the truck sitting on a level garage floor. I lit the hole up with a flashlight and can see the level about 1/4" below the hole. I can stick my pinky finger in and touch it easily without bending my finger so it's not that low. I would prefer to see it ooze out a little though. Any ides on the oil type since I only want to top it off no need for an additive at this point until I actually change it all out.

2. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    The LSD you have is not a carrier LSD. It is a brake controlled system so no additive is needed. The level should stay the same unless you have a leak.

3. Mar 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    roy826

roy826 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport DC
    Okay I understand now makes since after I read the manual about how it works. Warns of brakes over heating. No leaks it was just never topped off correctly at the date of manufacture like a lot of things on this truck. My transmission was 1/2 qt. low from the factory as well. I had them resolve that a while back when I had the tranny re-flash done and it was still shifting weird. So technically I can pour a little 80w90 fluid in it I just happen to have on hand. I used that in my old '02 prerunner with no issues. Or should I go buy the Toyota stuff?

4. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I'd personally run whatever the manual recommends or similar.

To Top