1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 6-speed: Rough clutch engagement in 2H but not in 4H?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sparky31415, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    Sparky31415

Sparky31415 [OP] New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD 4x4 Manual
    I just bought a 2011 Tacoma V6 4x4 with the 6-speed manual and I'm noticing rough/difficult shifts in 2 wheel drive. The clutch is very grabby and I either have to slowly let out the clutch or slip it a fair bit with increased engine revs to get a smooth engagement. The funny thing is that if I put the truck into 4H, it shifts great. I've put about 2k miles on the truck and been hoping it was just a matter of breaking things in. But the clutch engagement still seems to be the same as the day I bought it.

I also get a "clunking" sound whenever I don't slip the clutch enough. It had me thinking that maybe I have a bad U-joint or that the front transfer case isn't fully disengaging in 2H.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Feb 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    crap bolted and welded together....
    depending when your shifting your truck. Manual says like at 2500RPMS is the shit point, or like 10mph, 25mph, 40mph, 50mph, 55mph. If you shift a little higher in the rpm range its a lot smoother from what ive noticed. like 27-2800RPMS

3. Feb 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    Sparky31415

Sparky31415 [OP] New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD 4x4 Manual
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've experimented with shifting at higher rpms given the wide ratios of the 6-speed but 2H is still much more sensitive and likely to grab/clunk than 4H. My typical shift points are around 2,600 -2,900 rpm but I've even tried pushing it up to 3,000+. At that point I feel like I'm just slipping the clutch with all the extra revs and it doesn't buy me anything other than bad fuel economy.

Has anyone else noticed smoother clutch engagement in 4H? Maybe it's just the extra inertia in the front driveline that is smoothing things out. Or maybe its an early sign of a failing throw out bearing?

4. Feb 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    sure you're not just feeling drive line slack and leaf springs. That would be covered by 4wd probably.
    I can shift mine without passengers feeling it at all. Its not inherent to the machine to be rough.

hmm... if its really rough, maybe get it checked out see if the techs think its rough. Maybe you're just having a real hard time finding the friction point? There were a group of clutches that were splitting from the center bit, which I imagine would be pretty rough.

I noticed for like 10k my scion would be a rough clutch engagement when it was cold/wet air.

To Top