1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Access Cab goes out of control on gravel roads!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Malpais82e, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Oct 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    Malpais82e

Malpais82e [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    1998 and 1999 Toyota Tacoma.
    Dealer Supercharged
    Thanks for all the tech answers. The answers from guys that have not read the post or have theirs heads where only tp belongs can stuff it.

They ignored the fact that my other three 4x4’s don’t do it - same road, same conditions, same driver. And I drive 30. Ten mph for 15 miles to home ain’t practicle. It tried to do it at 15 mph today fore I caught it.

Just wanted to know where to start if not inherent. (Too big a word for the user who says “fuck”??)

To those who gave reasonable answers, thanks much.

Damn thing gets 18 mpg already. Don’t think I should have to haul sand all year.

Tires were piss poor tires from the dealer a year ago - maybe they're worn enuf to do it. Didn’t think tread would matter much sideways in 2 “ of mud.

Don’t have maint history so don’t know if shocks or springs were ever worked on. 100k miles.

Stock heighth.

Acts fine on hard pack or paved.

Never 4 wheeled hard; barely any.

Thought it was a driver problem the first 3-4 times. Not anymore.

Seems to do it in 2 and 4 wd; usually on corners but has happened on straitaways. Sprig, I handle a skid the same way as I did when I raced dirt track for 4 years, but thank you for asking. You actually thought about! BTY, it doesn’t work here. Corrects itself and then try’s to pass itsself again.......hmmmm, pecking this post in just made me think of how they act on ice with rear axle locked - straight sideways! Bajatacomas good post made me pause; really reasonable post along my thinking.

I get a little testy with folks jumping to conclusions. I’m old as dirt and have driven on ice, gravel, mud and track for 40 yrs. Thanks to those who thought about my question and made suggestions.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  2. Oct 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    I agree this truck needs some repairs. Thanks for the observation. I think you missed the latest incident. And you seemed to miss that the question was preliminary to my starting maint. And I stand by my statement that this 2011 isnt the truck the 98 i still use on occasional. And your statements DO NOT explain why the 98, with more power, 250,000 miles, and lots of worn stuff, doesn’t act this way when I drive it on the same roads. Thanks for answering though. Gordon

3. Oct 11, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    Ruffus

Ruffus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Erie
    Vehicle:
    2010 TacomaTRDOFFROAD
    ARB Snorkel, sliders, Billy 6112's & 5160's, Riderites with Daystar cradles, 255-85-16 ST Maxx's.
    Check your shocks. I had a feeling mine were bad from an annoying clunk & rattle on rumble strips, just changed them to Bilstein 5160's. Was shocked to find my right rear had 4 inches of free play, zero damping, zero gas left. Mines a 2010 with stock suspension & had factory shocks until a couple days ago, quite a difference in handling & ride quality.
    Could be your issue & worth a look if for nothing else, you can rule out that as an issue if they're good.

I married my tacoma likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    djd1

djd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB 4x4
    I would start with the shocks as well, seems like something may be busted in the suspension. Could a rear drum be grabbing? Caked with mud/dirt and sticking?

I was going to say: Sounds like your rear diff is locked...except you said it behaves on the road.

Good luck with it!

5. Oct 11, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    I've driven thousands of miles on dirt/forest/logging roads in all conditions from speeds ranging from less than 5 mph to 50+ mph (again given the conditions).

I've never experienced anything remotely resembling what OP is experiencing.

jv_74, lynyrd3 and bluezzy like this.
  6. Oct 11, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Have you checked your rear tire pressure? Higher rear tire pressure will cause oversteer, which it sounds like what you are experiencing. If anyone but you has messed with your tires, chances are they way over inflated them. If your truck is empty in the bed, you should have lower pressure back there.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:08 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    Sounds like fun! But on the serious side, the beds on these trucks are very, very light, with almost nothing to hold down the rear end on gravel, sandy, icy or rainy conditions. A few time I've spun out entering a oil covered freeway entrance after a light rain, it can be scarier then sh!t if your not ready for it. The trucks is probably fine.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    lynyrd3 likes this.
  8. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Thanks folks, for earlier and later posts. Really good ideas some of which I would have tried before now if there wasn’t 4“ of Colorado clay under the truck. Ruffus and Djd1, shocks are a good bet. Used to build dune buggies and run sometimes without shocks. Squirrly, but off road! Sig45, have done that too - no problem till now! As Foxworthy says, if you gotta tell folks how far you are “off the hard road” you are a redneck. My neck has always been kinda and still is crimson. Badger, good point, have never checked. Have always driven Toys cause the don’t require much checking. Lastly,Thanks Robert, your spin out on very little oil sound like exactly what I’m seeing. Never thought about the lightness of the “plastic” bed. Just knew something was wierd, as my 3 other 4x4s didn’t do it with ME driving them!

Thought someone would comment on my saying my 98 was more powerful. Just gotta say, it ain’t stock!

9. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    My truck is out of control all day! Aww day!!

toyodajeff, lynyrd3 and TXpro4X4 like this.
  10. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:33 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Op, I'm wondering if the stability control might be seriously out of calibration. Might want to do a zero point calibration just to be sure.

11. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Welcome to the internet and T. World.

You would be surprised what a new set of shoes mud, snow worthy and a little weight would do ya.

Good luck with the solution I hope you are looking for

12. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Steve, are you sure its the truck?

13. Oct 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Thanks for the welcomes, but i been on for years. Was Malpais82e, but after i tried to reset my password I became "OP"?????

14. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Hey OP you may have got some of the harsher responses because you’ve only posted a couple times and nobody here knows anything about you. Your problem is odd and unique, I’ve never heard anything like that so thought it must be driver caused. Now I don’t think that. I have a 2009 4x4 Taco and have never experienced anything like that, nor have I on any of the other 4x4 trucks I’ve owned. It may well be some suspension problem as some have suggested. What ever that is not normal or even heard of by anyone here on any generation Taco.
    Even though you are not getting any malfunction lights I’m wondering if it may be something faulty in the traction control system. Such as electronic limited slip system is malfunctioning by applying a little pressure to one of the wheels when you are on the dirt. It shouldn’t be doing that but if the system applied a little pressure to just one wheel that could be enough to send you spinning on dirt. It may not do that on pavement because there is no slippage like on dirt. Anyway just throwing that out there.

StuckinOhio and Biscuits like this.
  15. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Thanks Sprig. Hard to convince folks you ain’t crazy on this forum. Grew up on a farm fixing everything. Started driving Toy 4x4s in 1980. Switched my 85 4 runner to RET. Ran my 98 Taco with blower 250,000 miles, but still don’t know shit? Oh well. Got many good ideas and learned all gen two tacos don’t do this. It’s a good start

Gordon

Biscuits and Sprig like this.
  16. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:
    You're the OP because you started this thread.

Does your truck have traction control, and antilock brakes?
    Could be the issue, maybe recalibrate the stability control /yaw sensor.
    There are threads on here about rigging a switch to turn off the abs and traction control.
    Also, check your shocks and does your truck have the recall leaf springs done?

17. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Got all that crap I think. H’mmm.... spring recall? Didn’t know about that in year I’ve owned it. What’s it?

Thanks

18. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    Woofer2609

Woofer2609 Getting better all the time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Clancy
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7 5M
    ^+1.
    Changing your tire pressure is *FREE*, and probably the easiest and best traction mod out there. I know when I have my tires at 34 psi or so they just skate across the gravel roads. Another thing I notice is that freshly graded and/or graveled roads are like walking across a floor covered in ball bearings.
    To me the odd thing is not when a vehicle oversteers, but when the you get off the gas if it doesn't self correct, as you said yours does (or doesn't).

19. Oct 12, 2018 at 1:27 AM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Same my God..... mine spin in 3rd gear

20. Oct 12, 2018 at 3:38 AM
    ajpagosa

ajpagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Off Road 6-speed manual
    OP, I agree this is not normal at all. It sounds like something is broken in the rear, almost like your rear diff is welded (or the DIY locker mod was done and it is "on").

I'd start with tires and pressures, see if things improve. Then get under the truck with a big light and look for broken/messed up leaf springs/shackles/U-bolts, blown/leaking shock(s)/mounts etc.. As mentioned there is a TSB for rear springs one reason being they were known to break. Also there is a frame recall for rusted out frames, outside chance something is rotted through and broken there. Way outside chance something in front is messed up, is the sway bar still there? Tired front shocks + no sway bar the rear will get loose a lot too.

In case it isn't obvious I'd also not drive it until you figure this out.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Biscuits likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top