1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Access Cab goes out of control on gravel roads!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Malpais82e, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Oct 14, 2018 at 6:12 PM
    Malpais82e

Malpais82e [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    1998 and 1999 Toyota Tacoma.
    Dealer Supercharged
    Cause they seemed good enuf till I got winter tires. And as I said, my bad.

Not an issue now.

Amazing what a tundra, a little raised, and an steel after market bumper can do. Wish he’d of looked back! Maybe a better photo. Last one wasn’t hazy on the phone.

C79DCED1-FBC3-4320-A88E-67349EB2B4B4.jpg

2. Oct 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    :itllbuffout:
    Where did you wreck? Those tire show no signs of red/grey mud in the tread, sidewall or even in the wheel well like the previous photos of the roads you travel would suggest.

Edit: saw your last post a tundra hit you?

3. Oct 14, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    I was in Fort Collins approaching a stop sign (15-20 mph). All of sudden I saw a huge grey thing approach from the side. ‘Bout 2 sec later something hit, loud crunch and my taco stopped like I dropped an anchor. Guy walked up and asked if I was ok (I am).

He was diagonally parked in the direction I was going. Threw his Tundra in reverse and musta hit the gas. Was apologetic, said he was at fault and just didn’t see me.

I say the Tundra was raised a little and had the heavy welded up steel plate bumpers, with tow connections welded outside. Taco didn’t stand a chance. Got both doors on that side and caved bed side WAY in. They can argue about the “plastic” beds, but it seems intact. On the other hand, it didn’t hold the bed side out!

USAA here I come. ( no one there on Sun)

Broke the tail light on the Tundra

PS: I keep a pressure washer next to my drive. Girlfriend doesn’t like the red calcium soaked mud on her driveway in town

4. Oct 15, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    Woofer2609

Woofer2609 Getting better all the time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Clancy
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7 5M
    Wow, didn't see you? How 'bout "didn't look" . Good thing you were in your truck and not on a motorcycle. Cripes. Glad you're ok.

5. Oct 15, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Didn’t look and accelerated quickly I think. Hour on phone this am

6. Oct 15, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    tacomavan

tacomavan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    sucks about your recent accident

as for your past issues, i would have started with tires. I was spinning the stock dunflop at20's on light rain even with deliberate, smooth throttle application. Combine so-so tires, rear wheel drive, and a pickup and its just a recipe for terrible traction.

with that said, i'm having my own issues after swapping out new steering rack bushings with the traction control engaging on 25-35 mph 40-50' radii turns. This is with new discoverer AT-3's and a zero point calibration, new alignment, etc. Frustrating to trouble shoot that issue and I'm getting *this* close to doing the ABS kill switch mod.

I have about a decade of experience with track driving/road racing in audis and a spec miata. So i'm fairly confident in my ability to factor out my own driver errors. But ever since swapping out those steering rack bushings i've been growing more frustrated.

But yea, start with tires because that could be exasperating the underlying issue and its just all around the best mod for any vehicle in terms of traction and control (short of driver ability). Then go from there

7. Oct 15, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Thank much. Having fun here. Rentals out 3 days, repairs 4 weeks or “after end of 2018”.

Had shop hold tires! Should get a good evaluation of suspension tho

8. Oct 16, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    Captainskidmark

Captainskidmark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TRD SPORT DCLB ~ Black
    ECGS 4.56 gears with Detroit True Trac in the rear. Camburg Ball Joint UCAs Dirt King LCA Dobinson IMS rear shocks Dobinson IMS w/ 352 coils DAKAR EL096 HD LEAFS AR172 17"x8" BAJA RIMS (5 wheel/tire rotation) GX470 Front Brake Upgrade SS extended brake lines Front and Rear (Toytec) 285/70/17 BFG A/T Toyota Roof Rack over Cab A.R.E. Z series CAP with Rhino Rack rooftop rails , -RED/WHITE LED BED LIGHTING -12V AUX POWER AND USB MAGNAFLOW CAT BACK RAAMmat Sound Abatement Pioneer AVH-2440NEX w/ Android Auto + Morel Speakers 120 VAC Block Heater Pelfreybilt Front/Mid Skids ATH Bed Braces ATH FRONT BUMPER - FULL LOOP BAJA DESIGNS FOGS HERETIC 20" LIGHT BAR ATH REAR BUMPER - STANDARD RIGID FLUSH MOUNT REVERSE LIGHTS Weathertech floor mats Rear Diff Breather Mod Wheeler's Super Bumps + Ubolt Flip Kit ABS Kill Switch Mod Northstar AGM Battery Pedal Commander Desert Does It Seat Spacers
    bummer about your accident....lame-o

Regarding your issue....
    1. alignment within spec?
    2. Stock suspension? Had a 2wd f250 that had really rigid suspension and was scary to drive unloaded on washboard gravel roads. I mean really scary....
    3. broken leaf springs? On my previous 2nd gen taco I broke the main leaf on passenger side and it was sketchy to drive as it felt like the truck wanted to twist/rotate when hitting bumps. Toyota's oem leaf springs are notorious for breaking.......

9. Oct 25, 2018 at 2:42 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Got the tires but don’t drive it much as can’t open pass doors. Might have helped a little. Spoke to a college buddy who was a Racing Tire Engineer for Firestone (before Bridgestone). He said the the coarser the tread the less sideways hold one gets???

10. Oct 25, 2018 at 4:07 PM
    trigama3

trigama3 Member

Member:
    rs9000 with my ride controller. BFG rugged terrain 2012 tread style.
    My 2004 trd 4wd would do the same with stock tokiko shocks. Installed Rancho with the a Free "Air Ride" which helped a lot but they only lasted 1.5 years.
    Replaced with Bilstiens which are the best thing you will ever appreciate and thank yourself for installing on any truck. My 04 drives almost as nice as my 2015!

I believe the vibration and worn shocks have a negitaive effect on the gyro on the ABS system to where it actually engages Braking which causes back end to kick out. This even happens on a straight flat surface where there are rough rocks or washboarded roads

11. Oct 25, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    Malpais82e

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Vehicle:
    Dealer Supercharged
    Thanks. Good to hear that!Iffin it ever get fixed, I’ll try Bilsteins.

Wondering about all the traction control and abs stuff also. Seems to me it “pulsed” a couple of times even after it was going straight (not braking).

We will see!

Products Discussed in

To Top