1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 DC TRD Off-road leaf spring clips bent?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JTP, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 23, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    JTP

JTP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB Off-Road
    My 3900k mi old Tacoma was t-boned square in the rear pass wheel by a chevy cavalier. Aside from the rear wheel, and fender flare damage, both my driver and pass rear leaf spring clips are bent out of whack and the leaf springs them selves don't seem 100% in line anymore. It was a pretty good lateral force.

Geico and the body shop are giving me a hard time about changing the leaf springs on both sides. They claim my truck came that way! I looked at about 20 Tacomas in the dealership's lot and non looked like mine.

Can anyone give me some good insight as to how important these clips are? I imagine in a flexing situation the leaf springs would be allowed to spread apart right? What if the clips got trapped in between when the spring re-compresses?

Thanks,
    JTP

2. Apr 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I am assuming your truck has 3.9K miles on the odo and not 390,000 miles.

Pics of said issue would help determine a more accurate response.

3. Apr 23, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME 884X Coil Springs, CS047 Dakar Leaf Springs, 90000 Nitrocharger Sport Front Shocks and N182 Nitrocharger Rear Shocks, Light Racing UCAs, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Leer 100XQ Cap, 3/4" Plywood Carpeted Bed Platform, Thule Rack System w/4 Rocky Mounts PitchFork bike mounts, Pop & Lock PL5300, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch Mod, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod, FLYZEYE Designs TCMA-0511 V2W LED Light, Go Rhino Dominator II SideSteps, HitchSafe, Console Vault, Fumoto F-103N Oil Drain Valve
    The same thing happened to me in my old Cherokee. I got hit square in the rear wheel on the driver's side hard enough that it almost flipped me on my side. It moved my rear axle over 3 inches and broke both of my leaf springs. The customer service rep for the other driver's insurance company said I needed to give the other driver a break, because they were a new driver :eek:

The other insurance company sounds like they are trying to jerk you around for an accident that was not your fault. The law states that your truck must be repaired to the condition it was the second before the accident.

Are you dealing with your insurance company or the other driver's? If you are dealing with the other company only, get yours involved. You might have to pay the deductible, but you will be reimbursed when the companies go through the subrogation process.

I would take pics of your springs and pics of the factory springs you saw in the dealers lot. You are also allowed to choose the body shop that works on your truck. Check with your insurance agent to see the body shop they recommend. You will get a lot more response from a body shop that works with your agent instead of theirs.

Hope this helps!

4. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    JTP

JTP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB Off-Road
    correction: 3,900 mi. lol

It is my Geico insurance company and their certified body shop that's giving me a hard time.

I'm away on business and have better photos at home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Apr 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    That would be 3,900,000 miles. Damn you drive a lot!

To Top