1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 stereo tips

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ToyotaTRD, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    ToyotaTRD

ToyotaTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I just got done replacing all the stereo components in my 2011 access cab. Alpine deck with alpine inline amp that provides 45x4 rms to the Polk dxi series 6x9 in doors and 6.5 in rear access doors. The access doors will in fact house the speakers as they still have the cut out even though 2008 was the last year for rear door speakers in the access cab. However there is no wiring for them. Simply run wire from the deck to the rear by snaking through the track molding located at the door jam. I used taco tunes instructional videos on how to get the panels off. Heres a link for the amp. It hooks up to alpine decks in series nd eliminates the need for running power wire etc. it made a tremendous difference in the sound quality from lows to highs, loudness and bass. http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445 I am still using the factory x runner subwoofer. It adds a little bit of bass and I can always turn it off at the switch located on the sub. I had to splice the factory rear speaker connections (head rest speakers) in the dash to the harness coming from the deck so I wouldn't over power the subwoofer. The subwoofer has it's own amp and I didn't want the extra wattage from the inline amp hurting it. In other words the access door speakers get wired in on the outlet side of the alpine inline amp and the factory rear connections that send the signal to the sub get wired in before the amp. Now I just need to cut the door panels to allow the sound to get through from the access doors. I tried finding 2008 panels from a junk yard but I'm not having luck. Anyone have any ideas? I also made my own speaker mounts for the doors by cutting out 3/4 PVC board from lowes. I traced the factory speakers and then the after market one and cut them with a jig saw. They are strong and weather proof and cut easy unlike MDF.

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
    can you post a few pictures of your back doors, i have a 2011 access cab and i want to see how you did the grill for the speakers

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM
    ToyotaTRD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I haven't done the grill yet but I may start this weekend.

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
    sweet, i want to see. I am doing all my ordering this weekend. something colse to 1,000$ of equipment

5. Apr 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    ToyotaTRD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I took pictures but I can't upload from my phone. I can email them if you like.

6. May 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Rakemucker

Rakemucker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab Sport 4X4
    BAKFlip® Tonneau Cover, Weathertech floor liners, Stampede Vigilante Low Profile LP Series Hood Protector, BedRug Bed Mat
    Great tips OP! Especially wiring the factory sub. What are your thoughts on this system after a year? Thanks!

7. May 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    ToyotaTRD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Hey Rakemucker, I ended up removing the factory subwoofer to save room and added this one instead. It just fits under the drivers seat. It also sounds much better than the factory subwoofer. I got it on sale at the time with free shipping and free installtion kit. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html For the price of the whole setup that I have now I am very happy. I think I'm in it like $600. Well worth it. I listen to all kinds of music and this fits the bill for me. The bass is not blowing the doors off but it shakes the mirrors and you can feel it. I spent some time tuning all the settings and it makes a huge difference. With my deck I set the bass around 0 and treble around 3. The loud feature is at its highest setting at 2. I also turned up the subwoofer output setting about 3/4 of the way. This is the signal being sent through the RCA cable to the self powered subwoofer under the seat. Then I adjusted the settings on the subwoofer itself. Play around and get the sound you desire most. I can't emphasize more how the inline deck amplifier makes a difference to the door speakers. It make bass you can feel. With my setup I can still use the factory subwoofer in addition but I would rather have the extra room.

Products Discussed in

To Top