1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 T/X Pro: Upgrade Time

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MyNameIsLego, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    TRD Catback exhaust, Westin Sportsman brush guard (black), Big Country tube steps (black), TRD Quick Shifter, ICON Stage 4 Lift (3")
    Hey all, it's been a while since I hopped on here but I am finally getting the SC done this weekend. After lurking in the threads it seems like SC is the way to go for a bit of added "oomph". My next big step is the audio upgrade and eventually a nice little lift. I have the JBL but I am not crazy about it. A couple of questions:

- Best 6.5" comps for the front? (I am leaning towards Boston Acoustics.)
    - Best custom box for the rear cab? (I found a decent box online for a 10".)
    - Best HU? (I like the new Alpine 7.1" but recently saw someone put an Ipad in! That would be incredible."
    - Bypass the speakers in the roof? (Most likely I will.)
    - Install speakers in the rear or is it not worth it? (On the fence here.)
    - Sound deadening? (Talking EVERYTHING...not just the doors.)

Please be honest and don't let it turn into a debate about "Who makes the best sounding speaker"! Thanks in advance and two quick pics of my current ride are posted...*sigh...it needs so much work and yes the plates are real.

2. Aug 31, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    Congrats on the SC, sounds like you are building a really nice Taco so I wouldn't skimp in the audio area.

Get the best front stage you can afford, demo as many sets as you can as your ears are diff than everyone else's...get what you like from a reputable brand. Speakers are only as good as their installation, get good brackets and spent the time and/or funds to really deaden the doors.

Imo, there is only one box to get, and that is a custom one built for your sub(s) of choice by Mr Marv here.

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    even if you dont go all the way to the 6k utopia anything in the focal line is going to ooutperform anything else in the price range personaly in an access cab id run the 165 vr3 its a 3 way 6/4/tweet set i have them in my wifes 4runner, they will fit in factory locartions the 6 and 4 will fit on a panel in the 6x9 location and the tweeter where the factory one goes run that with a couple jl audio 8w3s under the back seat and you will have all the sound you need i have actually sold that exact set upto a customer running off a jl audio hd600/4 4 channel to run it alll it was a 1992 reg cab s10 but it sounded amazing. not the cheapest system but well worth the money.

4. Sep 1, 2011 at 3:56 AM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    I run the Pioneer Premier 720 PRS Comps in the front, these are EXCELLENT speakers, and I've owned Focal, Lotus, Diamond speakers before. If you don't absolutely have to have an aftermarket headunit, the factory head in these trucks is actually decent when paired with a high end aftermarket signal processor and amplifier. I used the Audiocontrol LC6i. I've measured the headunit's output with test discs and an oscilloscope and I can tell you it does very well for a factory head. When a real amp paired to it, the headunit is totally fine. I'm running a Soundstream with 110/channel RMS

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    MyNameIsLego

MyNameIsLego [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11' TX Pro
    TRD Catback exhaust, Westin Sportsman brush guard (black), Big Country tube steps (black), TRD Quick Shifter, ICON Stage 4 Lift (3")
    Thanks for the replies so far and I found those focals on crutchfield, I am so glad I have a few extra vehicles because I think i am ripping apart every panel that's clipped in and sound-proofing it all. Ordered the SC yesterday and plan on install this Tuesday. :) I had no idea the head unit from JBL was that decent...I'm mulling it over but this is what I want to do for mine:

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/tacoma/soundman-installs-ipad-in-toyota-tacomas-dash.html

It looks super clean and now I know is doable in a Taco. Thoughts?

To Top