1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma and 4X4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vinhle68, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    vinhle68

vinhle68 [OP] 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 TRD Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinh
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 4X4 TRD Sport
    Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to this forum and I am also a new owner of a 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 V6. I have a question on switching between 2 vs. 4 wheel drive.

I read the driver's manual yesterday targeting to gain more understanding on when I should drive the truck on 2 wheel vs. 4. According to the manual, it is recommended that at least once a month I should switch into 4H and drive for a minimum of 10 miles to lub the gears. The manual did not ellaborate any further than that statement on where I should do this or at what speed.

Here is my dilema: Friends at work are advicing that I should never drive on 4H if I am on pave road cause that will damage the 4X4 gears. Plus they said if I have to run on 4H to keep my speed below 55mph.

Can someone shine a light on this and educate me! :)

Your assistant is greatly appreciate.
    Vinh Le

2. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    if you drive in a straight line, you can operate the 4 wheel drive on pavement. if you try to turn with the 4 wheel drive engaged on the pavement, you will bind up the drive line and break something. just go find a dirt lot..... or actually go off roading :)
    and ya, dont try to engage 4 wheel drive above 55mph.

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    Correct, no pavement driving in 4x4 mode, tho i have done this from time to time for very short distances.

About the speed, you should be fine in 4Hi at any speed, I believe it will allow you to engage all the way up to 63 miles an hour. The only time I have actually had to use 4Hi going that fast was on a snowy highway. But once it is engaged, you can go beyone that speed. Someone correct me if im wrong but my understanding is that this is 100% fine.

I figured driving in a straight line in 4x4 was fine as well until I saw this. http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/axle-wind-up.html

Granted that guy owned a jeep :p Still makes me not want to try though.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I engage my 4WD every month, usually on the 1st of the month.

even if for only a few miles, on pavement try to only drive straight.

if you have access to the beach, you could use that instead.

I also stop the truck, put in neutral, then engage the 4WD

I have done it on the fly, but find it easier when stopped.

I also then stop, neutral, and put it in 4-low for a short distance.

I have done this with all 3 of my trucks and have never had a problem

after the first few times, you will become a pro.

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    That Dude Tim

That Dude Tim Toyota Technician

Member:
    Elyria, OH
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Falken Wildpeak AT3/W, BLK Mk6, ICON's, Firestone Ride Rites, SHLM, Rear view camera switch, 7-pin in bumper, Lighted 4x4 switch, ImMrYo bracket, mudflap delete
    If you read the post in the link the Jeep guy drove 150MILES while in 4wd on a dry highway. So a couple on a straight section aren't going to hurt. If doing it on the highway switch on the on ramp and turn the knob. It sometimes helps to let of the throttle for a sec to help with 4x4 engagement. On the fly doesn't engage over 60mph. Once engaged you can go faster. If you don't switch to it sometimes, especially in the winter the actuator will stick and not want to engage. A slight tap from a hammer can help sometimes. Recc. transfer case and both front and rear diff fluid exchanges at 50,000mi. I did mine the first time at 3,000mi after this past winter along with my first oil change to synthetic. Note: During the fluid exchange there was quite a bit of metal shavings in the fluid from the gears wearing in, I only did mine because I work in service the fluid was "free."

6. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The Tacoma won't break... It is more difficult to turn on dry surfaces in 4WD because there is no give betwen the front and rear drive shafts... When turning, the front tires rotate more than the back... this is the 'binding' you read. So, if you cannot drive during rain or snow on pavement (if you can't drive off highway at all), than do so on straight runs as suggested... Not doing it won't cause you to loose the system either. I have four wheeled a lot, but there may be months I didn't use it... and I am on my third Tacoma.

As for the speed thing, the limiting speed suggested in the manual (and your card in the sun visor) is for ENGAGING the 4WD... once in H4, you can drive as fast as you want. But seriously, you don't need 4WD if you can drive that fast.

Welcome... and try and find dirt roads or fields, beaches, etc. where you can enjoy your 4X4!

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    vinhle68

vinhle68 [OP] 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 TRD Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinh
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 4X4 TRD Sport
    Wow! Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs and recommendations! I am extremely thankful for the education! P.s. I love my new truck! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top