1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Arizona Archery Javelina--------->

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by AZBACKCOUNTRY, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    A great day in the Arizona backcountry. I dropped this Javelina at 30 yards with the trusty HOYT bow. There was a herd of about 8 pigs. We stalked to about 40 yards and they were feeding on some prickly pears. This BOAR stepped out at 30 yards and gave me a quartering too, shot.

I hit him and he went down. They rest of the herd was chomping and woofing. Their hair was raised and they were "fired" up! to say the least.

This is my 3rd javelina and if you guys ever want to get out of the cold and snow and come hunt pigs in January , it doesn't get any better than this. 68 degrees and sunny.

Oh and a hugh 4x4 muley was pushing does on the same hillside. You can hunt with your bow/ pigs and deer at the same time!

Enjoy
    AzbackcountryJavelina2012Doug_568b34c4a9ca2147d576a584046cb6433a35965b.jpg
    Javelina20127_4101fc2623d0f262f68979767b386e12b565c5d5.jpg

2. Jan 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Nice. With a bow that takes skill.

3. Jan 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Bow hunting FTMFW! Nice kill man. My dad's got a friend in NC who might take us out this spring to either NC/SC to kill some bacon, hope it works out.

What broadheads do you use?

4. Jan 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    KAWAIANIANI

KAWAIANIANI Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    TRD BLACKED OUT
    Weather tech stone deflector, Craven speed stubby antennae,DTLT and rear O2 Sims, URD Y pipe, 40 series flowmaster w/ 3" piping. Urd maf calibrator, TRD supercharger, TRD CAI.
    Nice hit

5. Jan 9, 2012 at 4:26 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I shoot Muzzy mx4 -100 grain 4 blade broad heads :)

Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks for the replies!

Doug

6. Jan 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    That's what I shot my first Elk with, except I used 150 gr.

Last season I used Rage 2-Blade expandables, but I don't think they opened correctly when I hit my elk and thus the arrow didn't go all the way through. It was a good shot, also. Never found my elk, bummed me out. I'm sticking to fixed-blade broadheads from now on.

7. Jan 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Harleyfx69

Harleyfx69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    big game like elk i think heavier fixed blades are better, at minimum the arrow will sit in them churning about cutting things up,

on deer / smaller a mechanical broadhead is okay..

8. Jan 10, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    I know the feeling of not finding an elk. I hit a cow elk a few years ago...the shot was a little far back . We ended up jumping it and never found it. They are tough to say the least.

My pope and young bull I double lunged so he died right in front of me.

Here is the arrow from the javelina , he went 15 yards and I put 1 more arrow just for good ,measure.

I have heard good things about rage but I think it's important for that blade to open to do its work. I like a good blood trail if at all possible.
    Javelina3_f57abdb87359fabb60566884d32ce872ac4e56ea.jpg

Azbackcountry

9. Jan 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Thats a nice looking peccary you got there. Well done!

10. Jan 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i just got back from unit 33. the couse were pushing the does hard for few days, and then it just stopped. we went 9 days hard and got to see deer everyday. two-three stalk attempts each day. never go closer than 80 yards when the swirling wind would blow it for us.

if time permits..i am flying back end of january to give it another five days. i love AZ in january.

the entire time, i saw 3 javalina. i didnt buy a tag, so i just glassed them for awhile, but didnt get too excited about it.

11. Jan 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    No javelina around here but I hear the farel hogs are every where.

12. Jan 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    muleyhunter

muleyhunter Git-r-Done

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Logan Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7L 4x4
    Afe Pro dry cold air intake, lce header, dynamax super turbo muffler, scangauge II booming stereo
    Where do you go in az. I do the jan Hunt every year and my group always turns out 100 percent

13. Jan 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    muleyhunter

muleyhunter Git-r-Done

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Logan Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7L 4x4
    Afe Pro dry cold air intake, lce header, dynamax super turbo muffler, scangauge II booming stereo
    This years and previous years of javelina hunting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot all sorts of animals last year but freak it was cold!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's the buck I was chasing. Damn wind out there won't stay one direction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jan 18, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Aficionado, nice job stalking CouesWhitetails , not easy at all. My buddy was down there and said the bucks were on the move. I shot my first coues in 33 ( with a rife) . I also killed a record book archery javy in 33 in 2008. Bowhunting in Arizona allows you to enter them. Anyway , he never saw a pig in 4 days of glassing :(. I hope you make it back at the end of January, keep me posted! Good luck !

WOW, muleyhunter! Great pics! Thanks for sharing! You guys have really got some nice critters on the ground! That muley is a beast!

My pig this year is from unit 24a up near Globe. But I do hunt a couple other units for pigs as there are always leftover tags available !

Azbackcountry

15. Jan 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    muleyhunter

muleyhunter Git-r-Done

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Logan Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7L 4x4
    Ever go out by wickeup?

Products Discussed in

To Top