1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Brakes, Nice Solid Pedal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MotorsportsAustin, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Mar 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Some of you might have read how disappointed I've been with my 2012 Taco's drive train and suspension, but there's been a good surprise also.

The brake pedal is nice and firm, not at all like the previous years I drove, not the descriptions by other owners in historical threads.

It's only at 56 miles total so far, but still good firm pedal.

(2012 DC Off Road with manual box)

2. Mar 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    shackley

shackley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 TX Baja TRD Access cab, 6spd, 4X4, White
    Build (apologies to Sean): 2013 TRD T/X Baja, ACC, 6 spd, SuperWhite II Exterior/Performance TX Baja Series Badging (small sticker--no large “Baja”), Red TRD badge on tailgate Hitch cap TRD Cat-back exhaust BP Fabricating steel front skid plate TRD Gun Metal Gray Beadlock Style Wheels BFG A/T 265/70/16 Tacoma Bed Mat Aluminess flat bumper with PIAA 520 SMR fog lights Demello rock crusher bolt-on sliders Interior/Performance Toyota HD All-weather Flooring throughout cab...entirely weatherproof. No carpeting Stock leather shift knob Suspension Front 3” TRD Eibach racing coils 60mm HD Bilstein (TRD custom valved in San Antonio) front shocks. Similar to 9100/9300s w/ bumpstop Modified bumpstops by TRD in San Antonio Dual tube 50mm Bilstein in rear (TRD custom valved by TRD in San Antonio) Tuned 3 leaf + overload
    My 2012 is a lot better than my 2009 too (2500 miles).

3. Mar 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    the brakes on my 2012 are fantastic, first thing i noticed when i took delivery of it. I almost thought there was something stuck under pedal at first.
    As far as the suspension, i find it very nice and smooth for an off road tuned truck. Ive had a 2004 trd off road taco, 2009 trd off road taco, 2003 Z71 chevy, 2008 wrangler and a 1999 Discovery series 1 done to the 9s (still have it). The Taco rides way better than all of them except the disco which as far as off road feel and smoothness its second to none IMO. The tranny (auto) is also silky but it does have a weird kick down from 5th to 4th but nothing bad, it just stands out from the rest of the shifts which are nice and smooth.

4. Mar 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    i really like my 2012, i have zero complaints so far....mind you, i only have 1000 miles on it so far but I've found zero to be unhappy with. I like the revised facia lot better than the previous look enough that i went with a new one rather than finding a low miles 2011 used.
    The entune option is nice but nothing to sway one way or the other at all, but the JBL sound system is awesome enough that this will be the first car i don't go out and buy and aftermarket system for, thats nice.
    The console revision is also much nicer than the old one imo...its a bit more modern and nicer looking without the red lighting.

The ride is very nice on and off the road compared to what I'm used to from other OEM "off road tuned" suspensions. It suffers in the load capabilities since the rear are tuned for smooth ride over rough terrain, so the springs a bit too weak for heavy loads, but i didn't buy the truck to haul heavy loads...thats what HD chassis trucks are for.

As silly as it sounds, my favorite thing on it is an option i had no idea what it really was or that i would be so happy with, the all weather flooring! this is an option only dog owners can TRULY appreciate and understand why I'm so stoked on it....aside from the fact that its nice for guys that get dirty a lot and drag it all into the trucks interior, which i also qualify for.

My previous truck was a 2004 4dr 4x4 TRD off road with Fox coil overs and shocks , Deaver leafs, upper All pro A-arms and TRD supercharger. i was VERY happy with that truck....til some asshole decided he liked it more than me and stole it right from my driveway. So it was going to take a lot of convincing to get me to buy a $34k truck over finding a lightly used 2011 for about $5k less or another like my old one for about $15k less.

To Top