1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 doors dont auto lock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nut, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    i tried to search and didnt find anything on this... how come the doors dont automatically lock when i put it in drive or hit a certain speed? my 1998 T100 Manual transmission will auto lock the doors at about 20mph. Is it just mine or are all tacomas like this? and is there a way to make them auto lock?? Thanks!!!

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    none do.
    i hate it with a passion too.

edit: if im not mistaken, i think there was a mod to fix it though, i'll try to find it.

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I had a python 991 installed on my 05 and they programmed it to do this. I hated that it didn't.

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Mine don't but I have manual locks!

5. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    =toytruck=

=toytruck= Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TACOMA
    I just got my truck today! I would like it to as well.

6. Nov 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Why's that an important feature? Don't think I've ever had a car with it or even considered it.

7. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    sdtag

sdtag Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    lifted 2", snug top, tube steps
    I thinks that's a feature of a car alarm. Mine lock when the car is on and I step on the brake the first time.
    ...among other things.

8. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    qwertypepper

qwertypepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cam
    canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport dclb
    my belief is that the vehicles structural integrity is better in a collision. if the doors aren't locked they could fly open and the vehicle can crumple more.
    growing up my dad would make us lock the doors on the highway, we didn't have power locks.

or maybe car jacking protection:D

9. Nov 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I drive with the doors locked. Everyone has their opinion, but I believe I am in much more danger of being assaulted while stopped in traffic and not paying attention, than I am of being trapped in the car after an accident. It's a layer of security. Carrying a gun, knife, pepper spray, cranky mother-in-law for protection is a good idea too, but locking the doors solves quite a few problems before they happen. Just like locking your house doors.

I don't think it matters whether the doors are locked as far as the doors flying open in a crash. The latches are in the same position, just the handles disabled.

10. Dec 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    yeah i like it to prevent people from just getting in my truck. i just cant believe my old T100 does it and taco's dont :notsure:

11. Feb 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM
    Architect

Architect Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gotta say I hate the fact that the doors don't auto lock. The doors on my '05 Expedition auto lock and the doors on my '05 Audi TT were programmed to auto lock. Neither had aftermarket alarms added.

As far as concerns over being in an accident, being incapacitated and having the doors locked, I ran as a Volunteer FF for about 7 years and my turnout gear aways had a center punch in it to pop glass whenever needed. I'm a bit more concerned over forgetting to hit the locks and being at a stop sign or red light with unlocked doors.....

12. Feb 18, 2015 at 4:51 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    In their wisdom, Toyota didn't want you to lock your keys in the ignition. If you really want to take that chance, I'm sure you could switch wires around to auto lock as it already does if you don't immediately open a door. That's the feature that bugs me when I have armloads of stuff in a parking lot and the door auto locks just as I reach for the handle! Of course, the disadvantage of preventing that feature would be your door would stay unlocked every time someone else's fob clicked it open, which does happen more often than you know.

13. Feb 18, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    How hard is it to push the button ?

Jeffs68 likes this.
  14. Feb 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    But I have my cell phone in one hand and a grande latte in the other. Which one do you want me to put down to hit the switch? I need my FB/Twitter and my caffeine buzz. :rolleyes:

15. Feb 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    prerunner 06

prerunner 06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Springfield OH
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 DCSB
    Yup, always hit my locks when going through the seedy side of Cleveland, or Dayton, or Springfield, or Columbus, or Toledo, or Detroit... shall I go on?

16. Feb 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    I never lock the doors when Im in my truck... what would be the point?

17. Feb 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Fear

18. Jul 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/558833/

Products Discussed in

To Top