1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 double cabers does anyone have the 4 cly?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tac 2009, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Apr 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    Tac 2009

Tac 2009 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    black 09 SR5
    what is it like? can you post a video and do a car reivew? wanna see and hear it.

2. Apr 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    I actually saw a double cab prerunner with the 4cyl. in a parking lot. I didn't know they made that. The tailgate got my attention because it just said "prerunner", so I looked inside and the auto shifter just went up to 3. I can't imagine it to get that much better mileage being so heavy and tall. I would like to hear a review on it too.

3. Apr 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    Firstly, this is my first truck so I can't really compare it to anything else. My primary concerns were fuel efficiency and overall cost.

Mileage - I get 22-24 mpg, 60-70% highway. I wanted a 4 cylinder for the slightly better mileage vs the V6, since it was to be my daily driver (average 50 mi/day). My Ultragauge II has been my best purchase or else I would be maxing out at ~22 mpg.

Double Cab - I originally wanted the Access Cab, but since the truck is my only vehicle I wanted the versatility of the Double Cab. I just found out a baby is on the way, and so I'm glad to be able to fit car seats. I wanted the long bed, but garage considerations along with V6 only kinda eliminated that.

4 cylinder - Mileage was my top consideration. I use my truck for daily driving, light hauling and possibly light towing. There was a noticable difference in acceleration vs the V6, but I couldn't justify the mpg and cost difference.

PreRunner - I personally think the Tacoma looks too big to be on a regular 2wd suspension, apart from the regular cabs. I like the height of the PreRunner, and I didn't think I would ever use a 4x4 enough to warrant the increased cost and mpg penalty. Plus my wife likes the height as well. Last time I drove my Camry it felt so low I honestly thought all four tires were flat!

Acceleration - The 2.7L truck is slower off the line than my 2.2L Camry. At highway speeds it keeps up fine, and I can pass quick enough if I have to. I drive to maximize mpgs while trying to avoid pissing off other motorists. Luckily I miss all the heavy traffic hours due to my work. I've also found that I am not in as much of a hurry as I was when I was younger.

Final thoughts - I bought exactly what I wanted and needed. It is night and day compared to the 5.7L Tundra I test drove, but I have a bike if I want speed and acceleration. I may not use my truck "like a truck" (according to some) but it is a perfect tool for my purposes.

Hope this helps. Sorry for rambling on.

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Tac 2009

Tac 2009 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    black 09 SR5
    23 average!? damn

4cly comes in longbeds/4x4s? didn't know this.

you gotta post a walkaround video I wanna hear the sound of that thing.

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    Long beds are v6 only. I'm not positive, but I think you can get a 4 cyl 4x4 DCSB. Gotta check the brochure or website to be sure.

6. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    TJGARZA84

TJGARZA84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    SAN ANTONIO
    Vehicle:
    2012 TOYOTA TACOMA PRERUNNER SR5 - BLACK
    TINT - 20% FRONT - 5% REAR 3 INCH LIFT PAINT TO MATCH GRILL AND REAR BUMPER REMOVED ALL EMBLEMS
    2012 4 cylinder here --- and yes this is my second double cab 4 cylinder I also had a 2011 that was totalled that i enjoyed and decided i wanted another ---

PDRUNK - had a great review ---- it does average about 23mpg which is over 400 miles a tank --- bu since ive lifted mine and put on 265/75/r16 i lost about 2mpg's -
    which i was willing to sacrifice for the look and feel of a lifted truck -

the 4 cylinder double cabs come stock with 245/70/r16 i believe - so the 265/75/r16 is a bigger tire for these trucks

it does everything a v6 can do just a tad bit slower if that makes any sense --
    Its a bit heavy when your trying to get on the highway or pass cars on the road - but if you just down shift your good to go and the power of the 4 cylinder is nothng to laugh at-

People dog the 4 cylinder all the time when it comes to talking about double cabs - but those are people that have never driven one.

If you dont need to tow anything big then its a good choice --- and if you dont feel like towing something for somebody you just have to tell them "sorry i got the 4 cylinder and it wont pull " of course it can pull you just have an out now when your buddies ask for some help ;)

Im very hapy with my purchase and i would do it again in a hearbeat as i have proven with purchasing 2 allready

Good luck and Go for a test drive in one !!!!!!!!

To Top