1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 DRL questions (not disable, but modify)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blktaco58, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    blktaco58

blktaco58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road dc
    Does anybody know how to make the 2012 DRLs like the older styles which turn off when the headlights turn on. I noticed that my 2012 DRL is always on- even if my headlights are on! The prior years the DRL turned off. I don't want to completely get rid of them, just turn off with headlights on.....I don't know why toyota did this!!!

I searched and all I could find was this thread, which is how to disable them:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/191990-disable-drls-2012-works.html

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Cobalt719

Cobalt719 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 Banger PreRunner DC
    LED Interior Lights, Tailgate Anit-Theft Mod, OEM Skid Plate, Aftermarket Fogs, Tow Hitch
    I'm not sure if its the same bulb, but on my 2012 the DTRL either dim or switch to a different light when the headlights come on. I think amber lights are pretty standard on most cars even when the headlights are on.

But to answer your question you would need to somehow wire them to the headlight relay by using a relay that cuts power when on rather than enables power. I can picture it in my head buy I'm not versed enough in the wiring of the tacoma to know what you should wire where. But I'm sure someone on here can help. This place is full of experts.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    Cobalt is correct, the DTRL's dim when you turn the headlights on...I haven't looked at the bulb but if it's dual filament you can cut the low power wire, if it's not you'll have to wire something up like Cobalt said...

4. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    They dim when the headlights are turned on, matching the light level of the side markers...

5. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    hmmm...so toyota finally flipped the wiring to make them switch over to lower current to still light up while the headlights run...(thats how i have them) but mine didnt come with stock DTRLs...

Products Discussed in

To Top