1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Entune - is it worth getting?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bizjettech, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    looking at a 2012 SR5 DCSB with Entune/navi.
    Is it worth getting? work well? It aint cheap.

2. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    I probably would have paid $400-600 for it if the truck I was looking at had it. Not $1900. Even then I'd still rather have the regular setup. The stock 2012 stereo works/sounds/looks great to me, and I have navigation on my phone...

3. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    JimmyBuckets

JimmyBuckets Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6 speed V-6 sr-5
    Its more than just a gps

4. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i've specifically told dealers "no entune" ;) too rich for my blood!

5. Dec 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    SuperInfidelX

SuperInfidelX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Magnetic Gray 6cyl DCSB TRD Sport U 4x4
    Meh, not as good as the Ford Sync I had in my Mustang. You have to link your phone for everything. The Pandora app sound muffled and you need to be linked to your phone for Bing POIs. With the Sync it was all through Sirius Travel Link, which didn't need to be linked to your phone. So, if you don't mind turning on bluetooth and syncing your phone every time you get in your truck, go for it. Otherwise buy an external GPS.

6. Dec 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    I got it with my DCSB Offroad and like it. The audio system sounds good, the GPS is fast, and I love being able to play my iPad thru the Bluetooth. I don't know if I will ever use any of the smartphone features, but they are there to explore if I decide to try.

One thing that makes me leery is that when you purchase the system you get a "free 3-year license" for the actual Entune functions (all the smartphone stuff), which leads me to believe that someone is going to try charging me for a renewal in the future. Not that I would pay! If (when) that happens, I will just go back to using the features mentioned above.

It does work well, no problems. I like how you can turn the screen off when you want, and the steering wheel controls are nice. All in all, a good intuitive interface.

7. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    bizjettech

bizjettech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Good summary, thanks. RV7 project looks fun!

8. Dec 17, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Thanks! I gotta update that website, been too busy :mad: Let us know what you decide.

9. Dec 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Fister

Fister Fisters stay rock hard

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Blacked out Toyota Emblem De-Baged BF Goodrich Rugged Terrains Flowmaster 50 series Tint
    I have a 2012 with E-ntune. The applications that are available are really useless. It has a sports, stocks, weather, etc, etc, applications. When viewing them on the radio screen it's all displayed real basic and I would rather just check them on my phone. I never would pay the monthly fee for the options so after the 36 month trial if it comes to it I will just leave it be.

10. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    drwoodr

drwoodr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SR5
    side steps, heated seats, tonneau cover, rocky mounts, RAAMMat, 12v outlet in dash
    So other than the gps, what do you get for $2000? I have a 2012 DCSB without Entune, and the audio system sounds good, I can play my smartphone thru the bluetooth, I have the backup camera in the mirror (which to me makes more sense than looking down at the dash), and I have the steering wheel controls.

How do you update the gps? I just plug my $100 gps into my computer, and I can program my trip in the nice warm house, not sitting out in my garage. Plus, I like having the gps at eye-level when I drive.

I just don't see the value here.

11. Dec 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    monkeytaco

monkeytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag Grey DCSB V6 4x4 AT Sport
    I really like the voice commands for the nav, I use that all the time. I have a garmin also and I never use it now that I have the Entune system. Also, the upgraded sound system it comes with sounds much better that the stock radio, it has a sweet sub behind the rear seat.

I had a 2012 without Entune and now have one with. I highly recommend getting the Entune upgrade.

12. Dec 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    Wizzard005

Wizzard005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Sacramento, CA
    Stock
    I also have the entune system. I love it, however in the next week or two I will be replacing everything but the deck

When i ordered it, that was my plan tho.... I wanted to have the stock look on the dash with better gear behind the seens....

13. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    Not only NO, But hell no. The GPS is OK once you can get the destnation entered, and thats the problem. Manually in park- its hard. In drive using the voice input, after 15 or 20 times trying, i quit. for the cost its a rip off, the dealer can do the same thing and they have no answers. It's a POS.

4-22-13, 45000 miles, the Entune now changes stations by itself and or scrolls down the presets. In park or drive not moving or moving on the road. no loose connections etc. and the Nav. system is still crap. went to arrbaration with Toyota over the Entune. Lost--big suprise there, then they sent me a nice shiny flyer saying for only $167.00 I can update the maps on the Entune---so it can still work badly. Good truck, but the Entune is not worth the money. Bad product Toyota!!!! When it totally quits it's gone for good. Not sure what to get yet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. Sep 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    It's worth it if you want a good sounding stereo without having to go aftermarket. The entune apps are useless but the JBL sounds a hell of a lot better than the standard stereo. GPS is take it or leave it for me since I hardly use it but it's come in handy a few times. I find the input mode worthless but I usually have a good idea of where I'm going and just glance at it for reference. I also like seeing album art so I'd vouch for it about 90%. Maybe helps resale too?

Search for the mega-entune thread for more opinions.

15. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    I've only used the GPS once, but I was able to speak my destination the first time I tried. Maybe your city has weird sounding street names or multiple streets that sound similar. :confused:

I agree that the Apps are pretty much useless. I will only use the GPS, hands-free calling, back up camera, and the radio. I have no need for checking stocks and weather in a vehicle when I already have a phone that does it. Right now, Sirius keeps harassing me via mail about signing up with them. I've gotten 4 letters in about 2 months.

16. Sep 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    I travel a lot and use the GPS in the Entune lots in many states. Entering the destination in the manual or voice input is frustrating. Sooooooo not worth the money. Don't waste you money on Entune!!!!

17. Sep 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I want to know if I can swap Entune head unit in place of the one I have. I have the blue tooth and steering wheel controls. Anyone know if I can swap this into my 2012?

18. Sep 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    I think you need to have a JBL system, but I may be wrong.

19. Sep 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    I have alpine touch screen w900 in my other truck and entune in my new 2012 and I like the sound of the entune, jbl but the alpine blows it away with the navigation and controls.

I like the entunes voice commands, I like pandora as well in the apps. The reverse camera is crap compared to alpine and with alpine you can hook up more than 1 camera in case you want to hook up a digital video recorder in front camera for accidents, alpine also allows you to turn on camera while driving.

I'm torn myself on which system to keep

20. Sep 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    in the toyota website, there is no option for adding entune under "Build your own" for the 2013's and then i tried building it on "cars direct" and its not letting me select/combine the JBL/Entune system with 6 speed manual…. does anyone know if this is a glitch or its just not possible to have this audio system with a 6 speed… im hoping its a glitch…
    thanks in advance.

Products Discussed in

To Top