1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 fender rust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Utard, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Utard

Utard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Any one else see that happen on a plastic fender flare? I have washed if every week or two this winter. Even a few spots on the rear quarter panel.

Fender Rust.jpg

2. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Wtf. Take that shit to the dealer.

3. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's the result of rail dust.

It's why every new vehicle should be treated to a full strip, claybar, and good wax treatment.
    If you live or work near a railroad, this needs to be done regularly.

Rail dust is steel.
    It becomes embedded in the paint.
    It rusts.
    The rust stains the paint.

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    It also happens if do any kind of metal grinding near your truck. It's only on the surface the clay bar will fix it.:thumbsup:

5. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    ctimrun

ctimrun and junk

Member:
    Rail dust. Just about every white vehicle I have owned has had this. A clay bar and wax should get rid of the problem and the stain. Shouldnt have to do this to a new truck but at least you can fix it. I wouldn't let the dealer try and fix it. Either find a professional detailed who who trust or invest the time and do it yourself. I would also take good pics before you do it just in case ou can't get the stains out.

6. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    With a truck as new as yours I would personally take it back to the dealer and have them take care of it. I used to work at a body shop at a Ford dealer we would take care of issues like this all the time.

7. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Dang i never knew this

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    yeah, me too.

9. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Utard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I have never heard of this. I do not live anywhere near any rail lines. But I do drive across them every so often. More likely from me cutting and grinding and welding 20 feet away from the truck?

I have never used a clay bar. I am assuming it will need a good waxing after?

10. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Rail dust from shipping.

11. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Cutting and grinding will do it.

I used to be meticulous about my DSM Tundra. Was the same with my white Silverado.
    One night I was working on a project at work. It was a warm night, and being a weekend with the business park empty, I didn't think twice about working with the shop rollup door open.
    Truck was parked about 75ft from the door.

Three days later I noticed one entire side of the truck looked like your picture.

Claybar... for the long story I'd refer you to the Autopia forums... the majority of members are professional detailers, and hobbyists who have very high end cars (these guys scrub and wax their wheelwells).

Shorty story:

Complete wash with Dawn to remove all dirt and wax.
    Go over it with a fine-toothed comb and get ALL dirt and road grime. You want it factory-spotless.

Claybar treatment. Buy a few... When (not if) you drop one, don't bother to pick it up, it's junk.
    When (not if) you find that spot of grime that you missed in your washing, toss it, it's junk.

Once the claybar treatment is complete, another good washing to remove any residue. Dry, and wax with your preferred wax.
    Personally, I used the Klasse AIO followed by two layers of Klasse SG, then two layers of P21S or S500, which really made it "pop".

But I don't have the time, workspace, or desire to do that anymore.

12. Apr 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    Utard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Hell...even if I owned a Ferrari I would not do that much to it. That sounds like way to much work. :eek: With a DCLB that would take all day.

What about that spray on wax? Ever tried any of that?

13. Apr 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    BINGO!!

I used to work in a shop that built conversion vans with the raised fiberglass tops on them. We would use a sawzall to remove the factory metal roof, then blow off the metal dust and shavings with compressed air. If we skipped the compressed air, there would be rust spots on the van overnight. It didn't even have to get wet, just the humidity in our coastal air would do it with the van parked in the shop.

It's been too long, I don't remember what we used to clean it off. I know it wasn't the easiest thing I've had to do.

14. Apr 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Grab a bottle of IronX......do the whole truck. You'll be amazed at how much rust/fallout you have in your paint.

15. Apr 23, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It does take the better part of a day. If you're going to claybar your truck, don't go with spray on wax afterwards. They're ok to make your truck looking decent after a wash but if you strip all the wax from your truck, that spray on stuff won't do much to protect your paint. You'll want something that lasts longer.

I had a similar issue with my 2007 and here's the steps I used:
    Mother's Car Wash
    Claybar
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Meguiar's NST Sealant

I have a DCSB with a shell and it took me about 6 hours start to finish.

16. Apr 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    All day?

My '03 Tundra was a 4-day process.
    Saturday:
    Claybar, AIO, and the first layer of glaze was one day.
    24 hours for the glaze to harden.
    Sunday:
    Quick wipe down with quick detail spray and microfiber to get the road dust off and another layer of glaze.
    Monday:
    Quick wipe down with quick detail spray and microfiber to get the road dust off and another layer of glaze.
    Tuesday:
    Quick wipe down with quick detail spray and microfiber to get the road dust off and the final "topper" of beeswax/carnuba blend (P21S or S500).

Spray on wax? I know auto care products have made a lot of progress, and there are now some very good liquid waxes that are nearly as good as the old paste waxes, but I'm still not ready to accept that the common "wax as you dry" and other spray-on products will provide any level of protection. I view them more as "quick detail" products that are good for bringing back a quick shine for a date or a car show, but I don't believe that they offer any protection to the paint.

Products Discussed in

To Top